Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder for wildlife recording  (Read 7798 times)

Offline wiiawiwb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recorder for wildlife recording
« on: July 18, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »
Hi folks. I've read through a number of threads and found some excellent information.  I'm looking at getting a recorder for evening wildlife activity when I backpack. It's something I would leave out at night and retrieve within 24 hours but probably no more than 10 hours.  It would be left in areas where there is no human traffic to complicate any background noise.  Ideally, a recorder that when played has the least amount of background noise so I can concentrate on sounds recorded by animals of the night.

I've never owned a recorder and can only draw upon what I've read not what I've experienced. I'm willing to spend up to $300 for one.  Without benefit of experience, if I had to choose, I'd be looking at the Sony M10 and the Zoom H5. I've read that some Zooms have a background noise so I'd default to the M10 knowing nothing else.

Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:20:32 PM by wiiawiwb »

Offline tim_k

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Recorder for wildlife recording
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:05 AM »
For exhaustive opinions on this subject, I suggest the Nature Recording Yahoo Group. I believe a lot of people speak highly either of the Sony you Mention or the Olympus LS series.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
Also worth linking up with the Wildlife Sound Recording Society - there is a lot of useful info. on theirwebsite.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 12:08:13 PM »
I am not a wildlife recordist, but will offer this FWIW.  I think the M10 may be discontinued.  Outstanding battery, life, menu and sound.  1\8 stereo input limits you from using xlr mics that require phantom power. 

If you intend to use dpa 4060 mics powered by a battery box, m10 is perfectly suited to this.

Another option in the same price range would be a tascam Dr 70 with four xlr inputs.  You would need an external 5v cell phone battery to achieve the kind of run times you want.  It has built in omni mics to get you started until you acquire some external mics. 

Your choice in large part depends on what mics you want to use. 

Offline wiiawiwb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »
I suspect you are correct about it being discontinued.  I just pulled the trigger on it and will match up speakers once I get a better sense of how it sounds with the internal speakers.  Thanks for your help.

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 02:29:02 PM »
I think the Sony PCM-D100 is the best all in one recorder for wildlife recordings. It has a very low noise floor, but it is also very expensive so might be out of your reach. The M10 is not too bad, and a lot cheaper, but I always take my D100 out for nature recordings.

A good alternative would be to get hold of some Primo EM172 capsules, which have a very low noise floor, and build some DIY mics for just a few dollars. You could then use these with a battery box to provide 9v, straight into the M10 or similar.

Check out some of my comparisons here:

https://soundcloud.com/quisquose
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
The M10 seems like an excellent choice for what you do-- very quiet preamps and the little thing will run WELL over 24 hours on a pair of lithiums. I'm not sure how well the internal omni mics will work in your case but they are are poorly suited for most live music situations.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
 If the m10 has been discontinued, there will be a seller's market for used ones. 

Offline wiiawiwb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 05:48:46 PM »
The reason I didn't want to go for a more expensive unit is that I want to place two units a quarter mile apart when I'm out backpacking. That way I have twice the opportunity to get a recording of wildlife. I plan on trying the units just as they are with a Redhead windscreen and listen to how it sounds.

What would be a reasonable external microphone to get if I decide I want or need one? Kindly remember that i have two sets to buy here so cost is a factor.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »
I just made a windscreen from some kind of fluffy fabric, elastic band, and fabric glue from the local fabric shop.  No point in spending more than necessary. 

I am not at all sure which mics to suggest.  The self noise is much more a factor in wildlife recording than music recording. 

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 02:29:54 AM »
What would be a reasonable external microphone to get if I decide I want or need one? Kindly remember that i have two sets to buy here so cost is a factor.

As I suggested above, build your own using the Primo EM172 capsules. You can get the mics ready assembled if you are not confident with a soldering iron.

Take a listen here: https://soundcloud.com/quisquose

The advantage of using cheap external mics like this is not just better sound, but that you can hide your recorders and keep them waterproof. You won't get too upset if the mics get damaged by rain.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline wiiawiwb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
Great suggestions about the Primo EM172 capsules. Sadly enough, I am not handy whatsoever and buying the parts would be a complete waste. I would screw things up and that money would be down the drain.

Does Church Audio make microphones that would be suitable for the wildlife and do they use the Primo EM172 capsules?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 05:32:45 AM »
I think the Sony PCM-D100 is the best all in one recorder for wildlife recordings. It has a very low noise floor, but it is also very expensive so might be out of your reach. The M10 is not too bad, and a lot cheaper, but I always take my D100 out for nature recordings.

The PCM-D100 is certainly a good choice.  But its certainly NOT "very expensive", in fact it is pretty inexpensive.

When people go out doing wildlife recording with recorders such as a Sound Devices or AETA 4MinX, which cost several thousand, the PCM-D100 is very cheap by comparison (and I am still talking amateur wildlife recordists).

The Fostex FR-2LE is also an excellent choice for wildlife recording at an affordable price.

Offline wiiawiwb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 07:43:33 AM »
I would have gotten the PCM-100 but it would not be practical in my situation. I'll be backpacking in equipment and recording as an ancillary activity. I will be buying two setups which I will locate separately and double my chance of getting some night-time, wildlife audio.  Take the PCM-100 then add mics, and anything else needed, and then double it.  I'm brand new to this and know squat about recording equipment. It would simply not be prudent to be dropping that kind of money into something I know nothing about nor have any experience by which to guide my decisions.

I'll start with the M10 and relatively inexpensive microphones. If I enjoy the results I'm getting, and want to improve them, then Hell's bells...I'll buy better equipment.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 07:49:05 AM by wiiawiwb »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
My speculative guess is that the internal mics may be as quiet as any low cost external microphones.  I'd try the internal mics before spending more money. 

It could be interesting to pair the recorder with a game camera, but I understand they tend to get stolen?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com