Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do you transport caps and mic bodies?  (Read 7820 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: How do you transport caps and mic bodies?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 04:55:07 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I’m going to check out the local military surplus store to see if they have anything useful. I’m thinking a cigar caddy for the mic bodies and then a hard shell case from the surplus store+replacement foam for the caps.

The travel cigar cases come in many sizes, so you can get one that would accommodate the bodies and caps.  Mine can hold my 4 mics, as well as spare caps if I want.  You can also carve out the foam if needed.  Just to get an idea of the many offered, go on ebay and look, just enter 4 cigar travel humidor (as an example).
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »
I use a travel cigar case for my mics, which I love.  What I'd like, is a hard-shell case that I can line with a thin layer of dense foam to put my SD 744T in, and take up less bag space than wrapping it in a towel, as well one for my SD 302.  Sturdy plastic cases would be wonderful... Does anyone use such a thing that they can recommend?

Some of the dedicated audio bags have built-in shell-like systems, foam, and rigid frames.  They are not cheap, though.  I am blocking on brands at the moment.  Maybe Orca?

I have a Petrol Bag, which is amazing, but there are times when it is more of a hassle than a benefit, and I have to use a back pack.  For those times, I'm looking for more protective cases for the 744T and the 302.   Yes, Orca and Porto brace are other great bags as well.  This weekend, for Dead & Co., I need to use a backpack because it's much easier to lug around between the train and the stadium...
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Simple & Sweet!

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
I also have a Petrol, but it has a lot less structure than an Orca (at least mine, which is basically a soft-sided bag with some padding and I can suspend the recorder a bit).

You can probably find a suitably sized Pelican case, as they come in a million sizes.  They are also rather pricey, though.  Solid, however, as I think you could run the ones that came with my DPA matched pairs over with a truck with no damage...

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
I also have a Petrol, but it has a lot less structure than an Orca (at least mine, which is basically a soft-sided bag with some padding and I can suspend the recorder a bit).

You can probably find a suitably sized Pelican case, as they come in a million sizes.  They are also rather pricey, though.  Solid, however, as I think you could run the ones that came with my DPA matched pairs over with a truck with no damage...

The Petrol that I have has pretty hard sides, and the inserts are also strong, so it's great when it's convenient to use, which is most of the time.  Other times, it's all about a backpack... that's too soft to protect equipment.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:39:33 PM by nak700s »
Simple & Sweet!

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »

The Petrol that I have has pretty hard sides, and the inserts are also strong, so it's great when it's convenient to use, which is most of the time.  Other times, it's all about a backpack...that that's too soft to protect equipment.

You might look at a backpack designed for photographers. I use a tamrac with great success.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 09:28:40 PM »
I have since around 2002 transport my rig fully assembled.  I currently have my bodies inside pipe foam and my caps I always put on top in there windscreens.

Never had an issues transporting this way.

When I do run full bodies (when running m221's or m260's) I use a Schoeps wooden box - or the TFunk wooden boxes.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 12:38:22 AM »
In case anyone was wondering (which you probably weren't) I went with a cigar caddy for the bodies+one set of attached capsules and then a pelican 1050 case along with a piece of pick and pluck foam for the additional capsules  and shockmounts. Will be much lighter and lower profile than the two wooden boxes.

Thanks for the input.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »

The Petrol that I have has pretty hard sides, and the inserts are also strong, so it's great when it's convenient to use, which is most of the time.  Other times, it's all about a backpack...that that's too soft to protect equipment.

You might look at a backpack designed for photographers. I use a tamrac with great success.
Last couple of years my backpack has become an issue at the gates due to increased security especially at arenas and stadiums. I stated  using this portabrace DSLR dimensions are 13x6 x12 and meets the 12x12x6 requirements if you don't stuff it.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/PortaBrace-SL-DSLRB-Camera-Bag-Retail-249-Sell-49-99-FREE-SHIPPING-Brand-New/192465906109?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D2b2c51b195a64d249532d7df003f011f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D11%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D222536419795%26itm%3D192465906109&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ada006920-7339-11e8-b1a7-74dbd18078c4%7Cparentrq%3A14add6241640a9cae3ae0a76ffe9e7a8%7Ciid%3A1
For the mics I use the mad toto xl hard case for glass (7x3x3).
https://madtoto.com/shop/x-large-tube-case/?attribute_color=Purple&gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlPinIOEbqHWRLwMavZHtQQHSvx-uwXJhVLrO2qy2mu0K9WPAOfh9JRoCRpEQAvD_BwE

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »
In case anyone was wondering (which you probably weren't) I went with a cigar caddy for the bodies+one set of attached capsules and then a pelican 1050 case along with a piece of pick and pluck foam for the additional capsules  and shockmounts. Will be much lighter and lower profile than the two wooden boxes.

As a note of caution, see this thread about the pick-n-pluck and capsules.  I have used it for a long time now with no issues (with caps attached to bodies), as have others here, but perhaps worth keeping in mind...

Other times, it's all about a backpack...that that's too soft to protect equipment.

How about one of those backpacks specially made for laptops?  The 744T is obviously not exactly laptop shaped, but maybe you can find one that works?

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »

As a note of caution, see this thread about the pick-n-pluck and capsules.  I have used it for a long time now with no issues (with caps attached to bodies), as have others here, but perhaps worth keeping in mind...

Other times, it's all about a backpack...that that's too soft to protect equipment.

How about one of those backpacks specially made for laptops?  The 744T is obviously not exactly laptop shaped, but maybe you can find one that works?

Thanks for the heads up about the foam. Turns out that I miscalculated dimensions and the capsules won’t fit securely in the foam when the shockmounts are in place. I’m going to try out fitting the capsules in the cigar caddy.

Edit:
Final setup. Wrapped the extra foam in gaffer’s tape to mitigate risk of static buildup. Anyone have any ideas for keeping those foam pieces in place in the cigar caddy?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:29:42 AM by ycoop »
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »

I use a cigar case for the mics and I have made custom sized boxes out of heavy cardboard for my shockmounts.  The 744T is the only thing I need additional protection for.  Currently, I wrap it up I a towel, which works fine, but is slower when packing up and takes up too much real estate in the backpack (When using the Petrol Bag, there's no issue).  I'm constantly on the lookout for a sturdy plastic case (or other material) that I can line with 2 layers of thin dense foam for protection.  his will take up less space in the bag as well as be a quick in and out storage box.  Hey, this makes perfect sense in my head! I've considered a photo backpack, as Noah suggested, but find them to be to bulky with not enough space for my needs.  In addition to the usual accessories, I always have a camera with me too, but the case I have for that fits perfectly in the backpack, or can be fit in the Petrol Bag without the camera case.  If not for those BNC plugs, I would have been set, Grrrr!  Note, I only use the backpack when I either need more space than the Petrol Bag or for convenience when traveling, as I can wear it on my back instead of carrying it like a bag.
Simple & Sweet!

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 02:12:11 PM »
The 744T is the only thing I need additional protection for.  Currently, I wrap it up I a towel, which works fine, but is slower when packing up and takes up too much real estate in the backpack (When using the Petrol Bag, there's no issue).  I'm constantly on the lookout for a sturdy plastic case (or other material) that I can line with 2 layers of thin dense foam for protection.  his will take up less space in the bag as well as be a quick in and out storage box.  Hey, this makes perfect sense in my head!
This seems like it would fit a 744T comfortably, with some layers of foam as well: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Tactical-Custom-Ammo-Box/dp/B0747JPRW4
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 03:07:06 PM »
The 744T is the only thing I need additional protection for.  Currently, I wrap it up I a towel, which works fine, but is slower when packing up and takes up too much real estate in the backpack (When using the Petrol Bag, there's no issue).  I'm constantly on the lookout for a sturdy plastic case (or other material) that I can line with 2 layers of thin dense foam for protection.  his will take up less space in the bag as well as be a quick in and out storage box.  Hey, this makes perfect sense in my head!
This seems like it would fit a 744T comfortably, with some layers of foam as well: https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Tactical-Custom-Ammo-Box/dp/B0747JPRW4

LOLOLOLOLOLOL...you a funny guy! ;-)
Simple & Sweet!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com