Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 124514 times)

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2018, 09:34:12 PM »
Just got my mix pre 6 today. Only had a few minutes before work to mess with it. Im guessing Ill have a few questions. Just ordered this for pickup tomorrow with an A>C cable. Anyone use this?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/anker-powercore-20000-mah-portable-charger-for-most-usb-enabled-devices-black/5948567.p?skuId=5948567&cmp=RMX&extStoreId=536&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1255843&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiJncBRC1ARIsAOvG-a7DpqqShnIKRCBHyDEjbYb79cGtdsukqFNVSFF3JgnZd0Anb9nRl2gaAuIGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Also was going to go with my lowe pro nova 140 bag but that seem a bit big, although with 4 channels of cables and mics it will probably be a good fit. I dont want to be the lazy one, as ive already got a great deal of info from these threads, but has anyone put together a settings link or spreadsheet of some sort for situational presets for this thing yet? The thing is tiny! Im excited to try it out friday.

I’m not an expert, but I have read a LOT of posts in these threads about people having problems with powering their MixPre3-6’s with various USB-A batteries. The last I looked, Sound Devices was very particular about which batteries these units can utilize so I bought the exact USB-C portable battery which Sound Devices recommends on their website. I personally did not want to take a chance, despite there seeming to be some people who said their battery worked.

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/mixpre-3-mixpre-6-powering-options
Thank you. Im going to give that anker a try and hopefully it works until the hawkswoods hirose adapter comes in.

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2018, 02:34:11 AM »
Speaking of our friends in Reedsburg, WI, the folks at Sound Devices HQ look like they might be having some concerns about flooding. I have a friend with a mostly submerged farm not terribly far from there, and there are evacuations going on right now in parts of Reedsburg:

http://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Evacuations-happening-in-parts-of-Reedsburg-491941621.html

I suggested to my (very good) friend that he might now consider fish farming — he suggested I get myself over there to help him move some stuff to higher ground, which is what I will likely be doing this weekend in addition to bringing some food for folks in need in the area.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2018, 06:25:57 AM »
Mine also vary by a bit

What I meant was that they do not have the same physical position although they are set to the same numerical value.
They all have a slightly different position at any given value except at lowest or highest.

They are off a hair.
Which means I can not look at them and trust their physical relationship to each other. And is forced to nudge them to get the true numerical relationship.

It’s annoying and I believe they should not be that way. :)

Does anybody know the reason yet? As this seems odd, is it just poor quality control on their cheaper units?

Time to give an update.

After a couple of resets and factory restores, Sound Devices support staff and head tech informed me that a calibration process is not available for the end user. They decided I should return the MixPre-3 to the shop for an exchange.

The unit was returned and I placed an order for a MixPre-6 instead.

SD support is top notch and everything went very smooth.
I’m now eagerly waiting for the MP6. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:31:01 PM by justme »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2018, 07:08:38 AM »
Using a USB-A battery is a very bad idea.

Follow the SD instructions and use an approved USB-C battery. 
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2018, 12:25:20 PM »

Correct. It makes no sense to buy or use a battery with underpowered output.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

jcable77

« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »

Correct. It makes no sense to buy or use a battery with underpowered output.
I realized i got the wrong one last night and changed the order. Thanks guys.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »

Why do you say it's a bad idea?

I've run mine with just 2 mics powered by a small USB battery (USB-A > USB-C), in stealth situations. No issues at all. Actually more reliable than the approved battery.

I'm not going to use that battery all the time, but it works. I find the USB-C > USB-C connection on the battery to be less reliable when it's in a pocket, and I only stealth with 2 mics.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline relefunt

• Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »

I've run mine with just 2 mics powered by a small USB battery (USB-A > USB-C), in stealth situations. No issues at all. Actually more reliable than the approved battery.

I'm not going to use that battery all the time, but it works. I find the USB-C > USB-C connection on the battery to be less reliable when it's in a pocket, and I only stealth with 2 mics.

Just not clear about this... less reliable in what way?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »

Sorry. The USB-C connection tends to come loose in my pocket on the approved battery (the connection on the recorder is fine). If I don't notice my stealth mics (Nevaton MCE400) eat through the AA's in about 30 minutes.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline relefunt

• Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2018, 08:01:36 PM »

Sorry. The USB-C connection tends to come loose in my pocket on the approved battery (the connection on the recorder is fine). If I don't notice my stealth mics (Nevaton MCE400) eat through the AA's in about 30 minutes.

I see. Yes, I have heard many complaints about the C cable coming loose. One other aspect is the approved battery is super heavy. Not the best for being sneaky.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2018, 09:45:49 PM »

In my opinion, it's a bad idea because a usb-c device, designed to run on usb-c batteries, will have a much higher likelihood of failure when run off of a usb-a battery. Why risk it?

I'd advise use of a right angle usb-c cable on the battery side. That way you can use a rubber band or gaf tape as a backup there if you still have issues.

Alternatively, I use this when the big anker is too big: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HyperGear-USB-C-QC-2-0-Power-Bank-High-Capacity-12000mAh-Portable-Battery-and/282902414767?epid=1792348047&hash=item41de4c45af:g:KwUAAOSw6T9auuBy

For OTS, I leave the smaller hypergear in the bag as a backup or to charge my phone. It runs the mixpre6 6 channels for at least 5 hours.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:32:26 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline relefunt

• Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #267 on: August 31, 2018, 12:03:29 AM »

Noah said:

——————

Alternatively, I use this when the big anker is too big: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HyperGear-USB-C-QC-2-0-Power-Bank-High-Capacity-12000mAh-Portable-Battery-and/282902414767?epid=1792348047&hash=item41de4c45af:g:KwUAAOSw6T9auuBy

For OTS, I leave the smaller hypergear in the bag as a backup or to charge my phone. It runs the mixpre6 6 channels for at least 5 hours.

————

Thanks, Noah, for the great suggestion of the HyperGear!

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2018, 02:44:54 AM »
After a couple of resets and factory restores, Sound Devices support staff and head tech informed me that a calibration process is not available for the end user. They decided I should return the MixPre-3 to the shop for an exchange.

The unit was returned and I placed an order for a MixPre-6 instead.

SD support is top notch and everything went very smooth.
I’m now eagerly waiting for the MP6. :)
Great to know. Beware, will you be tempted to get a MixPre 10T next time? ;)

I had a silly problem with my unit. After fiddling with signal routing when testing a stereo microphone channel 2 would keep the gain raised for more than 10 dB compared to channel 1 and 3. But just doing a reassignation of inputs to Aux In and Mic again solved it.

But it was a software bug in my case. Their software is full of side effects between menu options and it can be troublesome.

"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2018, 08:12:21 AM »

Noah said:

——————

I have two of those. They work great.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com