Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA-11 Interchangable caps - Can someone explain?  (Read 3080 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
CA-11 Interchangable caps - Can someone explain?
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:24:18 PM »
So I have CA-11s purchased in late 2007.  The pair needs rewiring so it is not in use at the time.  I thought I had seen previous transactions where people traded and sold the card and omni caps for the CA-11s.  I put my card caps up for sale in the YS yesterday and was contacted by Chris Church who advised me that "You cant sell my cardioid caps.. Because they are NOT matched. They are matched to the body of the mics not to each other. They can not be used with out the original bodies."  I responded to Chris for an explanation but he has declined to return the PM as of yet.  Why exactly can they not be sold?  I have seen people sell and trade them before, so why were their CA-11 caps useful and not mine?  I thought the whole point of detachable caps was so that they could be changed out.  Any input is appreciated.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
Re: CA-11 Interchangable caps - Can someone explain?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
So I have CA-11s purchased in late 2007.  The pair needs rewiring so it is not in use at the time.  I thought I had seen previous transactions where people traded and sold the card and omni caps for the CA-11s.  I put my card caps up for sale in the YS yesterday and was contacted by Chris Church who advised me that "You cant sell my cardioid caps.. Because they are NOT matched. They are matched to the body of the mics not to each other. They can not be used with out the original bodies."  I responded to Chris for an explanation but he has declined to return the PM as of yet.  Why exactly can they not be sold?  I have seen people sell and trade them before, so why were their CA-11 caps useful and not mine?  I thought the whole point of detachable caps was so that they could be changed out.  Any input is appreciated.

Card caps are never sold by them selves. They are only sold with fets. The fets or capsules can be off from one another but when they are paired up to another capsule they can matched. When you unscrew a ca-11 card cap you must be careful to always screw it back onto the matching fet / cable it came with failure to do so results in unmatched mics for output.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 03:14:16 PM »
I was never careful to put the card caps back on the same bodies (this is the first I'm hearing of this) - how would I know if there is some issue I am not aware of?

Edit to clarify: Chris, is there a way I can tell if I put the caps back on the wrong body?  Either physically or sonically?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:29:48 PM by vanark »
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
I was never careful to put the card caps back on the same bodies (this is the first I'm hearing of this) - how would I know if there is some issue I am not aware of?

Chris never made much of a point of telling us that when he started selling CA-11's with interchangeable caps. I did't think about that either.

I would think you could just make a test recording and see if they appear to be closely matched in output. If not, just try switching the caps and make another test.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »

Edit to clarify: Chris, is there a way I can tell if I put the caps back on the wrong body?  Either physically or sonically?
anyone with ca11 mics should play a 1k tone through a single speaker place both capsules in your hand side by side and right up against the grill of the speaker laptop works good plug them into a daw package and check the left and right levels if they are off switch the capsules. now I mark one capsule with a mark on it.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »
mark one capsule w silver sharpie and same w body
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »
No offense, but that suggestion is not exactly a solution for everyone. I'm not even sure to anyone. A 1k tone? Um...okay

Maybe something simple and straightforward.

Easy enough to do in Adobe Audition / Cool Edit Pro.  I don't see the issue.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com