Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5  (Read 126487 times)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 5
« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2018, 07:55:22 PM »
I may have missed something in the manual, but how do you skip to the next file in playback? I have tried just about everything i can think of to no avail.

Yeah, not super intuitive. If the file is in the same project, tap on the current file name on the home screen to get a listing of project files, then use headphone attenuator to select.
To go to another project, you have to go to the system menu, select project, then open.

This was almost it...you have to stop playback and hold in the headphone pot. Then you can go forward and backwards. Do the same thing during playback to seek forward and backwards during tracks.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #361 on: December 07, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
During playback or pause you can also skip files and q-marks by holding play button then rotating HP encoder

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #362 on: December 07, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
During playback or pause you can also skip files and q-marks by holding play button then rotating HP encoder

Thanks Paul.

Would you be willing to comment on the analog/ digital  gain staging we’ve been speculating about?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
Paul - would it be possible to set the headphone pot to control channels 5-6 (linked) gain when depressed during recording? This could be very useful.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #364 on: December 10, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »
Firmware version 3.00 out now per email.

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware/?device=10t

Last update 11/26/2018

Changes introduced in 3.00 include:

New

For all models:

USB control from the Korg NanoKontrol Studio, Korg NanoKontrol2, Akai MidiMix, and Novation Launch Control XL USB control surfaces. Other USB control surfaces are not supported. Includes support for fader, trim, pan, low cut, reverb, solo, mute, track arm, monitor, transport control, LR output level, and user-programmable shortcut buttons.
Note: available features depend on the control surface being used and whether Audio or Music projects are enabled. For more information, see the USB Controller chapter in your MixPre User Guide.

For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only:

Pre-roll: saves up to 10 seconds of audio before the “record” button is pressed. Select up to 10 seconds of pre-roll on the MixPre-10T and 5 seconds of pre-roll on the MixPre-3 & -6. Pre-roll time is reduced at 96 kHz and higher sampling rates.

For MixPre-3 and 3M only:

Phase invert option now available for the MixPre-3. Phase invert is already available for all other MixPre models.

For MixPre-6 and -10T only:

Ambisonics and binaural recording/monitoring (-6 and -10T Audio projects only). Requires installation of the free Ambisonics Plugin available at the Sound Devices Plugin Store. See [Ambisonics user guide link]

For all M models and Music projects on models with Musician Plugin:

Bluetooth LE wireless remote control using the Android or iOS Wingman app. Includes 12-track monitoring, mix metering, transport control, time counter, track naming and arming.
Support for the new Windows ASIO driver, v2.9.92.1. This enables a MixPre running a Music project to be used as a multichannel USB audio interface with Windows computers. This ASIO driver is required when using the MixPre-3M, -6M, or -10M or when running Music projects in the MixPre-3, -6, or -10T.
Changed

For all models:

Meter scale now included on Channel screen meter.
Fixed

For all models:

Noise that occurred when playing back MixPre-recorded 96 kHz or 192 kHz files at a fraction of their normal speed has been eliminated.
The UI no longer occasionally switches to a Channel screen’s first page after selecting a linking option.
Fader or gain levels now only display at the top of the Home screen when being adjusted.
Improved handling of projects without an SD card connected.
Rare event where USB audio inputs 3 and 4 were routed directly to the LR tracks has been resolved.
Files with both Mix and ISO tracks now consistently import correctly.
Imported files now consistently playback at correct speed.
Ticking noises that occasionally occurred when playing back imported files containing cue markers have been removed.
Sample rate stays consistent between the MixPre and a computer when changing projects without an SD card inserted.
LR gain now remains correct after loading a preset with L and R unlinked and set to different gain values.
When transitioning between playback and stop, solo’d track remains consistent.
All channels of a linked group can be solo’d in the headphone output.
Improved USB-A port connectivity.

For MixPre-3, -6, and -10T only:

Playback meters now display in Audio projects when meters are set to Off.
Custom Mode with Gain set to Basic and Headphones set to Advanced now allows deselecting of all sources in the Headphone Preset matrix.
Live audio now returns consistently after playback when device is connected via USB to a computer.

For all M models and Music projects on models with Musician Plugin:

The maximum number of cue markers in Music projects has been increased to 99.
All tracks are now present after importing non-native files into Music projects.
Imported non-native content does not disappear after overdubbing.
A lockup no longer occurs if the HP encoder is pressed when viewing an empty History list.

For MixPre-3 and -6 models only:

A lockup that occasionally occurred when switching from a battery source to a low USB power source has been resolved.

For MixPre-6 and -10T models only:

Linking settings remain correct when switching between Music and Audio projects.
Live audio for channels 9 & 10 (on MixPre-10T) and channels 5 & 6 (on MixPre-6) return after playback.

For MixPre-10T only:

Timecode generator reset warning no longer appears when booting up in Music projects.
Record Trigger setting is now stored across power cycles.

For MixPre-10T and -10M only:

In Stop mode, navigation no longer skips between cue marks (on MixPre-10M or in Music projects on the MixPre-10T).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:09:10 PM by beegar »

Offline dominicperry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #365 on: December 10, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
Many excellent things in this release.

What I don't understand is why no 12 channel midi control surfaces have been included, given that's the number of tracks which need control. Maybe there are none.......

Dominic
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:02:29 PM by dominicperry »

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #366 on: December 10, 2018, 12:42:32 PM »
 :alert:

Pre-roll: saves up to 10 seconds of audio before the “record” button is pressed. Select up to 10 seconds of pre-roll on the MixPre-10T and 5 seconds of pre-roll on the MixPre-3 & -6. Pre-roll time is reduced at 96 kHz and higher sampling rates.

:cheers: :clapping:
MK4V, MK41, MK2XS, AKG 414XLII, CSB
MixPre-6ii, 744t, M10, MT II, SV250, D5, D6
MixPre-2, VST62iu
NBob Actives, KCY 250/5i

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #367 on: December 10, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
Good news on pre-roll.

Is there a hold function yet?  I’ve been out of the loop.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #368 on: December 10, 2018, 03:41:29 PM »
Good news on pre-roll.

Is there a hold function yet?  I’ve been out of the loop.

Not to my knowledge

Offline dpower

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #369 on: December 10, 2018, 03:47:47 PM »
I realize the new firmware is only hours old at this point, but...

Does anyone have experience with any of the compatible MIDI control surfaces... nanoKontrol, etc.?

I'd like to know how effective / reliable they are and whether they're a worthwhile investment... (acknowledging the latter is subjective.)

Offline junkyardt

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #370 on: December 10, 2018, 04:12:52 PM »
pretty disappointed with this release. at least they fixed the headphone preset bug where you were unable to deselect some choices in custom mode, but that was easily worked around by switching out of custom mode. i reported another bug to them two months ago which is that if you create a headphone preset with channels 5 and 6 you can only listen to it while its being recorded live. after the fact, playback of this headphone preset was simply silence, which is very annoying to me as this preset is often the one i want to listen to right after the show. Danny Greenwald responded to my inquiry acknowledging the bug and indicated it would be fixed by 3.00, but it is not. it's still there. (actually, now, playing back channels 5 and 6 plays back static rather than complete silence, so something in the firmware has changed, but the bug has not been fixed.)

also, still no hold/lock feature, either in terms of locking levels in place or locking the recording from being stopped. it's a head-scratcher that a year and a half after release we cannot get this implemented in the firmware somehow (obviously too late for a physical hold button), given that every other recorder on the market has had this feature standard going back more than a decade.

additionally, no noteworthy abilities added to the wingman app. was really hoping for the ability to adjust levels from the wingman app. this is a standard feature in the roland r-07's app, so i'm not sure why it's so hard to implement with the mixpre. also was hoping for the ability to view current gain settings for each channel via wingman (i.e. channels 1 and 2 currently set to 20db, channels 3 and 4 currently set to 30db, etc. with this info displayed under each channel in wingman). currently the only way to obtain this information is to turn the knob, which then briefly displays the gain setting on screen but also changes it -- i don't want to change it, i just want to know what it is. also there has got to be an easier way to adjust the gain setting for channels 5 and 6, which currently requires going into a submenu screen and tapping tiny little onscreen up and down arrows.

i made all of these suggestions to SD a month ago and received a generic form response from Danny Greenwald, which is all we can do.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #371 on: December 10, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
I'll wait until 3.01.

I don't generally go for .00 updates.

Still hoping they can correct the term PHASE INVERT and change it to POLARITY INVERT but I have no rational belief that they care about such crap as labels.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #372 on: December 11, 2018, 07:56:28 AM »
But PHASE is so much more sexy-sounding than POLARITY, to hell with being real.... >:D ::)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #373 on: December 11, 2018, 08:48:37 AM »
also there has got to be an easier way to adjust the gain setting for channels 5 and 6, which currently requires going into a submenu screen and tapping tiny little onscreen up and down arrows.

You know you can use the headphone knob to adjust levels on 5&6 when at that menu, right?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #374 on: December 11, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
Just out of curiosity, would I have to use any kind of inline attenuators using akg481s into a mixpre3?

I use them currently going into a shure fp24. Hoping I can do away with them with the deck upgrade?!

TIA
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com