Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: aeta 6 track recorder  (Read 81274 times)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: aeta 6 track recorder
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
^why would i want to pay for a recorder if all that i was looking for is a mixer??

......i'm just stirring the pot.   ;)

Look guys if you don't like the pricing model don't buy the product and move the fuck on!  This incessant Trolling gets you all nowhere and is one of the reason taperssection is going to shit IMO.

It's not like any of you can afford a Nagra VI so who cares if the battery costs X.  Same here - go play with you toys elsewhere!

Um.......  I'm agreeing with the pricing system.  I'm saying that if I only want a mixer (0-track) then why would I want to pay for the 10 channel recorder option.  If I'm understanding John correctly, that is how the pricing system works.  You get full pre-amp/mixer features without the recorder when you purchase the 0-track version.  Or you can get the various recorder options (#'s of tracks) on top of that if you want..  for an additional cost depending how many recordable tracks you would like to purchase.  Is that correct??

.........looks like someone didn't take their chill-pill this morning..   ;)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »
And the way you see it is correct - you *can* use *all* the pre-amps in every version.

There is nothing that stops the use of *any* pre-amp.

Fine, John.  Replace the "pre" in that (admittedly imperfectly worded) post and replace it with "hardware".  I expect to be able to use all of the hardware that is in a box I purchase.  If the recorder is in there, and by your previous posts it is, I should be able to use it.  That is the error in Snowman's post: if you only buy the mixer, you bought the recorder, too...

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2016, 12:55:30 PM »

Um.......  I'm agreeing with the pricing system.  I'm saying that if I only want a mixer (0-track) then why would I want to pay for the 10 channel recorder option.  If I'm understanding John correctly, that is how the pricing system works.  You get full pre-amp/mixer features without the recorder when you purchase the 0-track version.  Or you can get the various recorder options (#'s of tracks) on top of that if you want..  for an additional cost depending how many recordable tracks you would like to purchase.  Is that correct??

You get the use of *all* the hardware you bought.

The options are just for how you want it set up - as a mixer only, or as a 2-track, 4-track, 6-track or 8-track recorder.

The recorder is a software option, it's not a hardware thing.

The hardware option is timecode.

Soundfield is a software add-on.

There are a few other options as there is an option for having an XLR-5 replaced by a 10-pin Hirose if you need an umbilical to a camera.

Basically - like a modern car - you choose the version you want.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:06:32 PM by John Willett »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »
That is the error in Snowman's post: if you only buy the mixer, you bought the recorder, too...

I guess I'm looking at it the other way....  for the base price, I know that I would be only buying a mixer. 
But.....  I would also have the benefit of knowing that I could purchase/upgrade the recorder option in the future.

I see what you are saying though..
Kind of a "half-empty glass vs. a half-full glass" type of thing.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2016, 01:04:40 PM »
^ Exactly.  Except you are always paying for the full glass and you have to pay extra if you want to drink the whole thing! 

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: AETA 4MinX 8 track recorder
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2016, 01:05:22 PM »
And the way you see it is correct - you *can* use *all* the pre-amps in every version.

There is nothing that stops the use of *any* pre-amp.

Fine, John.  Replace the "pre" in that (admittedly imperfectly worded) post and replace it with "hardware".  I expect to be able to use all of the hardware that is in a box I purchase.  If the recorder is in there, and by your previous posts it is, I should be able to use it.  That is the error in Snowman's post: if you only buy the mixer, you bought the recorder, too...

You can use all the hardware you bought - there is no hardware that cannot be used.

The "recorder" is just software.

You can use all the hardware you bought if you just use it as a mixer.  It's just that you have the option of adding in a software recorder if you want it.

It's not like an analogue recorder that's all hardware - the recorder is all software - so, if you don't want to record, you don't need to buy the software to do it.

To put it simply - you buy an excellent, high quality and versatile portable mixer - then, if you want, you can add on a software package to enable you to record the number of tracks you desire.

So, you are not buying anything you cannot use.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2016, 01:08:24 PM »
^ Exactly.  Except you are always paying for the full glass and you have to pay extra if you want to drink the whole thing!

No - it's the opposite.

You get all what you pay for and can pay extra if you want to add something on.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
^ A recorder requires hardware.  That hardware is in the box.  You paid for the box.  You have to pay extra for some little piece of code to enable the use of that hardware in the box.  To me, that kind of sucks, although you obviously see it differently.  We'll just have to agree to disagree...

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
^ A recorder requires hardware.  That hardware is in the box.  You paid for the box.  You have to pay extra for some little piece of code to enable the use of that hardware in the box.  To me, that kind of sucks, although you obviously see it differently.  We'll just have to agree to disagree...

What hardware?

The only "hardware" required for the recorder is an SD card - and that is an extra you buy youself and is not supplied with the box.

All the hardware in the box is used in mixer only mode - there is nothing that you cannot use hardware wise if you opt for the mixer-only version.

The software enables you to record to the SD card - it doesn't "switch on" any hardware that you could not previously use.

Sorry, you have it wrong.

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2016, 03:15:25 PM »
So... what your saying is if you can afford it - hack it?   :o ::) ;D
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »
This is getting ridiculous.  AETA has a particular way they want to sell this unit, with different prices to reflect different options.  If you don't agree with their pricing structure, you are free to buy a competing product that is priced in a way you're more comfortable with.  Why continue arguing over something that's firmly set?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
What hardware?

Writing to a card is a physical process, which, while governed by software, presumably requires some sort of microcontroller for I/O.  Not to mention the SD slot itself.  But I am sure I am missing something, and you are entirely correct.  I leave the issue to your expertise...

This is getting ridiculous.  AETA has a particular way they want to sell this unit, with different prices to reflect different options.  If you don't agree with their pricing structure, you are free to buy a competing product that is priced in a way you're more comfortable with.  Why continue arguing over something that's firmly set?

Because it's a discussion board?  You are free to read a competing thread that has a topic you're more comfortable with...

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
Because it's a discussion board?  You are free to read a competing thread that has a topic you're more comfortable with...

Your beating a dead horse, Troll!

You have made it abundantly clear you don't like it and even with many responses where many don't give two shits on your opinion, you keep beating the dead horse!
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
What hardware?

Writing to a card is a physical process, which, while governed by software, presumably requires some sort of microcontroller for I/O.  Not to mention the SD slot itself.  But I am sure I am missing something, and you are entirely correct.  I leave the issue to your expertise...

The SD slot is not only used for recording - it's a firmware controlled unit, so it's used for firmware updates and for saving mixer settings, so it's needed anyway.

So, yes, you *are* missing something and I *am* entirely correct  ;)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »

I like this topic just fine, thanks.  I'm posting here because I'm interested in learning more about this recorder, even though it's currently out of my price range.  As for the rest of it, we're long past "asked and answered."  If John's explanations are not satisfactory to you, then maybe you should write to Aeta directly.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com