Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 114587 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2007, 10:42:49 AM »
I prefer plastic weld on plastic. Epoxy on plastic doesn't always work well so using a product specifically formulated for plastic is the way to go. Plus your ability to do surface prep in this case is extremely limited. Most of the commonly available plastic weld is 5 minute and that means the working time is closer to 3... and that isn't much time.  So you may want to mix 4 batches, one for each side.

As previously suggested, you probably want to leave the solder pads free of epoxy. That way there is a chance of it being resoldered if it gets torn off...

Offline fourdegreeswarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • shh, i'm taping this...
« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice - is there a particular brand of plastic weld epoxy someone would recommend, that is likely to be available in the UK (or I can get shipped to the UK)?
DPA 4061 > SPSB-6 > R-09

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
I lost the left channel of the line input on my r09 at Greyfox this summer. Edirol ended up repairing the jack for no charge even though the deck was 3 months outside of warranty when I sent it in.
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
thanks for the info tonyvt! +T
Good to know Edirol did the fix for you for no charge!

Having *not* visited this page in quite some time, and with my R-09 now nearing 15 months old, I'm starting to get a little more worried.........

Offline rdrodgers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2007, 05:23:56 PM »
Got my R09 when they first came out (read "out of warranty").  Got a Core Sound Binaural microphone set ($270) at the same time.  Got right angle plug on purchase.  Had no problems until I went on vacation to Florida to record ocean sounds and other interesting sounds (live in Colorado so, going to the beach was an opportunity to get interesting sounds.)  Lo and behold, I noticed my left channel was out.  Thought I would get home and it would be an easy fix.  LOL

Searched internet and found this site.  Since it was out of warranty, I decided to open it up, using the great pictures and instructions on this site, and see if I can just re-solder the connections. That was a fruitless effort.  Ended up taking the jack off and tried to solder a pigtail with a female 3.5mm connection on the other end.  Another fruitless effort.  (I don't have a micro-soldering station to make a good connection to the board.)

Next step was to call tech support to get my options for repairing the unit.  They passed me to customer service.  They told me $75/hr for repair service.  If, after getting the estimate, I didn't want my unit serviced I would be charged $25.00.  I told them I knew what the problem was, putting  stress on the fact that it seemed to be a design flaw.  The rep said that there was no record of my problem being a system wide problem, and if it was, I would of got an email.  So, I asked how much a new board was.  She quoted me $206.00. 

I guess my next step is to contact the FTC and see if they could force the company to own up to this problem.

My line in jack is still viable, so instead of throwing good money after bad, I'll look into buying a mic preamp and really baby my R09.  Anybody have any inexpensive options for a mic preamp?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2007, 05:50:26 PM »
Welcome to the board, sorry to hear about your troubles.

Out of curiosity, do your internal mics still work?  Did you check to make certain that the line-in jack still works as well?  I'd suggest checking that before ordering a preamp by sending a line signal from some other device (you will not be able to just plug the mics in there unless you use a battery box to power them).  I ask that because there is some kind of switch mechanism that over-rides one input when the other is in use.. I can't remember which overrides which, but the removal of your mic-in jack could potentially screw with that.

Assuming the line in works fine, I'd then suggest epoxying the line-in jack down to the board and using a small right angle plug to head off damage to your remaining input.

I haven't used his preamps, but many users here have reported good results using one of Chris Church's pre's.  They are small, affordable battery powered units available with 1/8" stereo inputs and outputs that will interface easily with your mics and the R-09's line input.  He's a user on this board, drop him a PM.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2007, 06:36:46 PM »
Got my R09 when they first came out (read "out of warranty").

Edirol told me they will fix the early units that are out of warranty for free. But once you open it up and try and repair, all bets are off.

Offline rdrodgers

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #232 on: December 05, 2007, 07:23:14 PM »
Welcome to the board, sorry to hear about your troubles.

Out of curiosity, do your internal mics still work?  Did you check to make certain that the line-in jack still works as well?  I'd suggest checking that before ordering a preamp by sending a line signal from some other device (you will not be able to just plug the mics in there unless you use a battery box to power them).  I ask that because there is some kind of switch mechanism that over-rides one input when the other is in use.. I can't remember which overrides which, but the removal of your mic-in jack could potentially screw with that.

Assuming the line in works fine, I'd then suggest epoxying the line-in jack down to the board and using a small right angle plug to head off damage to your remaining input.

Thanks for your reply.

Good point on the internal mics.  The line in jack is working (thank goodness).  I'll epoxy that jack down before I use it again.  Thanks for the tip on the preamp.  I'll check into it.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #233 on: December 06, 2007, 09:34:20 AM »
Got my R09 when they first came out (read "out of warranty").

Edirol told me they will fix the early units that are out of warranty for free. But once you open it up and try and repair, all bets are off.

They fixed mine out of warranty. I did open it up to check out the damage, decided there was no way I could do the repair myself and ended up sending it in 6 months later when I finally had a taping lull.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »
curious how long it took Roland to fix your R-09? Hopefully they are quicker than the core sounds pl....

+T !!

They fixed mine out of warranty. I did open it up to check out the damage, decided there was no way I could do the repair myself and ended up sending it in 6 months later when I finally had a taping lull.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 11:10:03 AM by norma023 »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2007, 11:40:21 AM »
curious how long it took Roland to fix your R-09? Hopefully they are quicker than the core sounds pl....

+T !!

It was pretty quick as I recall, maybe a week to 10 days. ymmv.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »
Has this problem with lousy jack quality been determined one way or another to be an inherent defect or the fluke of a poor assembly line run?

I just bought an R-09 which I have not yet used, but I'd have no problem selling it for a different recorder.

On the other hand, exactly how do I open the unit to use Epoxy to reinforce the input jacks?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:16:59 PM by Mass. Wine Guy »

Offline dreams

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2008, 04:25:15 AM »
the mic-input on my r-09(bought may 2007) has problems. right channel doesn't work anymore(display says it is constant at peak level) . Gonna bring it in for repairs under warranty next week as i need it this saturday(taping line-in obviously then). the store said it would take approx. two weeks to get it back.

question is: do they thoroughly fix it or will i have the same problem some time after the repair? will they just fix the mic-in or also reinforce the line-in while they're at it?

i haven't even used it alot, always been carefull not to put stress on the inputs  :(
SP-CMC-4U --> SP-SPSB-11 --> R-09
or SP-CMC-22 --> SP-SPSB-8 --> R-09

Offline Gutbucket

Offline dreams

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2008, 10:20:47 AM »
I was hoping they(edirol/roland) would have finally come to their senses and would put in the right jacks and glueing them down when doing repairs...

I guess i will have to become more skilful when it comes back from repairs and do that epoxying...

SP-CMC-4U --> SP-SPSB-11 --> R-09
or SP-CMC-22 --> SP-SPSB-8 --> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com