Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 101377 times)

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
the other thread met its limits so I started anew one per Brians requst on thread length.

BTW, I really love my New DR680. best sounding recorder ive owned better pre's then my ACM-PMD661 (IMHO)
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »
In.
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:56:17 PM »
A little help for our friends.........

:coolguy:
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline asobriquet

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Member
  • electronic ears connected to an electronic memory
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:39 PM »
Checking in......
Mics: SP LSD2, AKG CK-61,62 & 63, Naiant AKG active couplings x4 (TB cable/PFA), DPA 4061, Avantone CK1 (card, hyper and omni caps), Sony ECM717
Pres: AKG Tinybox, CA Ugly Pre, BM2P+ UA-5, Busman T-Mod UA-5, CA Ugly BB
Recorders: Busman mod Tascam DR-680, stock Tascam DR-680 (x2), Tascam DR-2D (x4), Sony PCM A10

https://archive.org/details/@dave_id

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
Present!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:04:01 AM »
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

Offline Gutbucket

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »
Just jumped on the 680 train.  All I did was power it on last night to make sure it came to life, and browsed some of the menus.  First impressions:  1.  I hope monitoring and adjusting levels on different channels is quicker and easier to do in the dark than it looks; and, 2.  While I'm sure I'll get used to the meters, it seems like they actually downgraded the display from the HD-P2 (I didn't measure them, or look at them side-by-side, but that's how it looked to me).

I have a lot of reading to do, but what I've already established (tell me if I'm wrong):

1.  Powering with either my MP3300 or MP3450 is fine, so long as I lock it in at 12V prior to connecting.
2.  I should get AT LEAST a few hours on a fully-charged battery, even with the backlight on all the time (which is all I ever need, since I don't do festivals).  I'll only be running P48 on 2 channels (for now).  Plus, I always keep AA's in my units for backup.
3.  I should get some breakout cables made to run my mics into channels 1/2 and the occasional SBD feed into channels 3/4 (Ted will probably have a PM coming.....).
4.  To record pairs of channels separately, I need to set it to STEREO (as opposed to 6-channel, which records everything as a single 6-channel WAV file, unmixed).  I assume the 6-channel mode is ideal for recording 6 mono direct outs from the board.
5.  For the rare occasion when I run my V3 in front of it, I can record just the digital signal to either channels 5/6 or 7/8 (selectable in the menu).
6.  I can record a mix on-the-fly to channels 7/8 (though I really can't see myself doing that).

That's all I can think of now.  Fingers are crossed that I don't have any of the problems that others have had.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
Have fun Matt.

The meters are certainly nothing special and not really sufficient for determining the actual measured level. Yet they suffice for getting input levels in the right ballpark which is what matters most.  I shoot to peak at the little line across the meter display.

While recording I often leave it in channel trim mode for fast access to input level adjustments by simply pushing the button under the meter for whichever track or group needs adjustment.  Read the section on ganging the record trims for channel pairs which makes for fast, stereo balanced adjustments.  Once I've set good relative levels between several input pairs or groups, I sometimes then ungang the individual groups and gang everything so I can adjust all channels at once with a single knob twist.  The ganging thing takes a bit of playing around with to get comfortable with it.

4.  To record pairs of channels separately, I need to set it to STEREO (as opposed to 6-channel, which records everything as a single 6-channel WAV file, unmixed).  I assume the 6-channel mode is ideal for recording 6 mono direct outs from the board.

Mostly a personal preference thing, but I always set it to write either stereo or mono files. I prefer writing individual mono files verses a single 6-channel file for two reasons: Far longer record time before a 2GB file split; and the resulitng individual channel files can be more easily renamed/regrouped/rearranged as necessary.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
The meters are certainly nothing special and not really sufficient for determining the actual measured level. Yet they suffice for getting input levels in the right ballpark which is what matters most.  I shoot to peak at the little line across the meter display.

I don't have it in front of me and won't be able to do any testing until this weekend.  But is there any sort of scale applied to the gain for each channel?  As in, with the HD-P2 I know to always start it at about 4 on the dial, and then tweak it up or down from there if need be.  And are the levels for each of the channels saved when the power is cycled?  Or will I be re-setting them to my preferred "starting position" before each show?

While recording I often leave it in channel trim mode for fast access to input level adjustments by simply pushing the button under the meter for whichever track or group needs adjustment.  Read the section on ganging the record trims for channel pairs which makes for fast, stereo balanced adjustments.  Once I've set good relative levels between several input pairs or groups, I sometimes then ungang the individual groups and gang everything so I can adjust all channels at once with a single knob twist.  The ganging thing takes a bit of playing around with to get comfortable with it.

That actually covers two questions that I thought of immediately after my first post.  I was hoping that it was okay to leave the trim screen up all the time (any drawbacks to it?), and I was REALLY hoping that I didn't have to adjust stereo pairs one channel at a time and then try to fix it in post.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »
I don't have it in front of me and won't be able to do any testing until this weekend.  But is there any sort of scale applied to the gain for each channel?  As in, with the HD-P2 I know to always start it at about 4 on the dial, and then tweak it up or down from there if need be.  And are the levels for each of the channels saved when the power is cycled?  Or will I be re-setting them to my preferred "starting position" before each show?

You'll need to manually switch each channel for mic or line sensitivity for on the top pannel.  Double check the position of all the top pannel switches  when you start recording as they can get accidentally switched.  After that basic mic/line choice, the input trims allow for 1 dB +/- adjustments from those two basic starting points.  The machine will remember those input trim settings on power down.. it does not remember which channels were ganged or the position of the manual mic/line switches.

I was hoping that it was okay to leave the trim screen up all the time (any drawbacks to it?), and I was REALLY hoping that I didn't have to adjust stereo pairs one channel at a time and then try to fix it in post.

No problem leaving it on the trim screen while recording (other than a few things that aren't displayed then, but nothing important).  You'll need to switch to that mode by pressing the trim button on the front pannel after you are in Rec/Pause or Rec, but you can then leave it there for immediate access to trim adjustments.  Not having to adjust each channel one at a time once they are all correctly set relative to each other is great.  I get a little geek taper thrill each time I do.  ;)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
Is there a way to get a record out of the whole mix together, instead of just individual channels?

I didn't look through the manual, but checked for an external output and unless I'm an idiot there isn't one.  Is there a way to set like channel 5/6 to the mix out or something?

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
Is there a way to get a record out of the whole mix together, instead of just individual channels?

Three options:
the headphone output
the SPDIF output
any pair of RCA outs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 if analog out (A. OUT SEL) is set to MIX on the I/O menu instead of DIRECT
 (with the current firmware, old firmware only output the mix on 1/2)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 02:27:34 PM »

Three options:
the headphone output
the SPDIF output
any pair of RCA outs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 if analog out (A. OUT SEL) is set to MIX on the I/O menu instead of DIRECT
 (with the current firmware, old firmware only output the mix on 1/2)

Awesome!  Great to know.  Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com