Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PSP2  (Read 19693 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:PSP2
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2004, 09:34:57 AM »
isn't your daughter a little young for taping?

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2004, 09:40:32 AM »
not in the grand scheme of things, it is going by so quick, plus the earlier the better, then I can just sit in the car with wireless headphones and listen, ofcourse I wouldn't leave her alone until atleast age 3
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 01:33:47 PM by twoodruff »
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2004, 01:22:53 PM »
I really like the mp2, but like the smoother bottom end that the psp-2 produces (to my ears) a little bit better.

My sentiments exactly... I actually prefer the bass response of the PSP-2 to the m148 <ducking>

don't duck.. explain! I'm interested in hearing what you mean... no one preamp is the end all!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2004, 01:24:52 PM »
except "no" preamp, tim.

Offline Tim

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2004, 01:36:40 PM »
hehehehe....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2004, 02:39:28 PM »
absolutely will need to run the calpots, Trey. the settings on the eaa are a little odd, but at zero gain, with -35 mic sens, that translates into about 20 db or so. You *can* run at +6 or +12 gain, but I think you'd run a danger of clipping at +12, and you'd have to fine adjust the mme anyway. I really love both the sound of the eaa and the m148. The oade is a little more balanced throughout the range, a little less warm, I think the bass on the eaa is a little looser, m148 bass, very tight but a little less pronounced.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2004, 01:51:09 AM »
The oade is a little more balanced throughout the range, a little less warm, I think the bass on the eaa is a little looser, m148 bass, very tight but a little less pronounced.

That's about what I hear as well.  I can only really accurately judge tapes from shows I've been at (since I can sorta remember what the venue sounded like), but the times I've heard the m148 with the 480's, it seemed a little too overpowering in the low end, and a little too accurate for my tastes- kind of unnatural sounding.  The EAA's bass is a little more fat and tubey sounding, without being sloppy if that makes any sense.  Its strengths and weaknesses also complement my mic selection better than any other preamp that I've tried.  I'm fairly convinced that 483>PSP-2>apogee is my favorite combo out there for arena taping.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2004, 08:57:41 AM »
The oade is a little more balanced throughout the range, a little less warm, I think the bass on the eaa is a little looser, m148 bass, very tight but a little less pronounced.

That's about what I hear as well.  I can only really accurately judge tapes from shows I've been at (since I can sorta remember what the venue sounded like), but the times I've heard the m148 with the 480's, it seemed a little too overpowering in the low end, and a little too accurate for my tastes- kind of unnatural sounding.  The EAA's bass is a little more fat and tubey sounding, without being sloppy if that makes any sense.  Its strengths and weaknesses also complement my mic selection better than any other preamp that I've tried.  I'm fairly convinced that 483>PSP-2>apogee is my favorite combo out there for arena taping.

accurate yet unnatural, makes no sense to me. It is not that I disagree as I find the m148 to be rather transparent in the world of pres. To my ears it is perfectly natural sounding. But hey, to each his own.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

marc0789

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2004, 10:13:55 AM »
never owned a pre that sounded more transparent and accurate to what I hear where I tape than the m148, particularly the 4022>m148>mme combo. Yes, Damon, you will easily find in the archives a statement from me saying the same thing about 4022>v3. I was mistaken. 8)

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2004, 10:16:37 AM »
has anyone run the psp2 and the sonosax? Specifically, both with the minime?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2004, 10:28:31 AM »
never owned a pre that sounded more transparent and accurate to what I hear where I tape than the m148, particularly the 4022>m148>mme combo. Yes, Damon, you will easily find in the archives a statement from me saying the same thing about 4022>v3. I was mistaken. 8)

marc, i don't go looking through the archives for your posts anymore...it's like shooting phish in a barrel.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2004, 12:47:50 PM »

accurate yet unnatural, makes no sense to me. It is not that I disagree as I find the m148 to be rather transparent in the world of pres. To my ears it is perfectly natural sounding. But hey, to each his own.

I mean "accurate" not like accurate to the room, but more at "mechanically precise" if that makes any sense.  To my ears, hearing the m148 as opposed to the PSP-2 is like being at Oak Mountain at the end of summer tour- but only 5% humidity.  It still sounds the same, probably a little clearer (or "better" as some would say), but it's missing something.  The PSP-2 adds that "shorts sticking to the back of your legs" feel back into the tape, at least in my opinion.  Just talking about the bottom end, though- I think the mids and highs of the units are pretty much equal, all things considered.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Tim

« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2004, 12:50:12 PM »
thanks for answering the question guys.

one thing that I like about the m148 is how clean and accurate it is, with teh exception of the low end UMPH

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2004, 01:02:24 AM »
I guess I'll chime in here...

I've been running the PSP2 with a pair of Neumann u89i's for a few years now and I'm pretty sure it's my favorite sounding preamp. It's got a nice fat sound in my opinion. Only problem is that its a bitch to fine tune on the fly. I've run it into AD1000's, ADC-20's, SBM-1's and straight into DAT decks with good results fairly consistently. I recently got my MiniMe, though, and unfortunately have not run u89i>PSP2>MMe yet. I will say that W. Boswell and I ran u89i>PSP2>AD1000 a few years ago at Smilefest and ended up with one of warmest sounding tapes I've ever heard.

On another note, I always run the PSP2 at 35dB and make any other adjustments further down in the chain.

6 AA's will power the PSP2 for about 10 hours with phantom power on. NEVER EVER leave the batteries in the unit overnight. I've gone as far as to pull the battery cage out between sets. I too have had the white stuff (battery acid) form on the batteries and cage after extended time in the unit.

Great PSP2 tapes: Phish Japan 06-14/15-2000 Schoeps>PSP2>SBM-1

-Bryan

marc0789

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2004, 10:21:45 AM »
the battery cage issue is the only thing holding me back from picking one up for stealth. that thing is very low tech, compare the flimsy cage with the vms, sx, mp-2 and it really suffers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com