Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do I "Need" an A/D?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
Do I "Need" an A/D?
« on: May 08, 2004, 07:37:26 AM »
I've been rolling this around for a while in my head, and figured I'd ask the assembly.....

I was looking at possibly getting an A/D (probably an SBM 1) to round out my setup, but am torn. The tapes I've made with my SKM>V2>JB3/DA P1(depending on the situation) have been pretty good thusfar. And my playback system is modest but passable (Yamaha RX-V670 receiver>Monster Cables>Klipsch RB5 II). So, would a step-up to 24 bit really make a difference? At this point? Just want to know wether I should head down the A/D path or start circling a pair of TL's......methinks I'm getting a gearslut virus.....
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:Do I "Need" an A/D?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 07:53:07 AM »
honestly bro, i know alot pf ppl suggest them, but i have been very impressed w/ my buddy's most recent jazzfest/beale street run of just oktava cards>behringer UB-802>jb3

so if it aint broke, dont fix it;-)

but i like running an external because of the levels/no clipping the jb3/blah blahblah

do what suites your ears bro
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 07:58:37 AM »
but i like running an external because of the levels/no clipping the jb3/blah blahblah

I hear that...the V2 does a sweet job regulating levels to the JB3, and the sound is solid and full (to my ears, anyway). Thanks for the input, Bean.

+T 'cause I can now!
Coffee is for Closers

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »
I've been rolling this around for a while in my head, and figured I'd ask the assembly.....

I was looking at possibly getting an A/D (probably an SBM 1) to round out my setup, but am torn. The tapes I've made with my SKM>V2>JB3/DA P1(depending on the situation) have been pretty good thusfar. And my playback system is modest but passable (Yamaha RX-V670 receiver>Monster Cables>Klipsch RB5 II). So, would a step-up to 24 bit really make a difference? At this point? Just want to know wether I should head down the A/D path or start circling a pair of TL's......methinks I'm getting a gearslut virus.....

you don't NEED an adc since your jb3/da-p1 performs it. but, a good quality outboard adc would make your recordings better.  i'm sure we'd all agree "better" would be subject to a wide interpretation.  would you notice a large difference? only your ears can decide that.  

as far as 24 bit and other high resolution recordings goes, i've noticed substantial improvements in musical nuances, soundstage, details, etc.  

you mention that your playback system is modest. one affordable way to playback high res recordings is through a good pair of headphones paired with a heaphone amp.  you'd probably hear things you've not noticed in the past.  

i've been recommending to friends to get a sacd/dvd-audio/dvd-video player. they are super cheap ($150 ish) these days.  then test listen a dvd-audio disc of something you already have in your cd collection.  play a track back to back as a comparison. i think your ears would do a double take. :)

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 08:15:34 AM »

I hear that...the V2 does a sweet job regulating levels to the JB3, and the sound is solid and full (to my ears, anyway). Thanks for the input, Bean.

+T 'cause I can now!

backatcha, nice avi too
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 04:02:57 PM »
you don't *need* one but I think you might be pleasantly suprised by how good a modsbm-1 sounds with your setup. I'm not sure that a stock sbm-1 is a big stepup (soundwise) from the dap1.

Do you notice a difference between the dap1 a/d and the njb3 a/d?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 04:39:01 PM »
Do you notice a difference between the dap1 a/d and the njb3 a/d?

Not really, although I've only taped a handfull of shows with the njb3. I was consistently impressed with the quality of the DAP's a/d, and thusfar the JB hasn't let me down. I remastered a matrix I did using both taping devices (JB3 for aud, DAP for SBD), and didn't notice any glaring difference whilst wearing the phones.

But a mod SBM-1 would really turn it up a notch? $300 turn it up a notch? Or should I just sock that money away for som LD mics? Anyone have any samples of inboard vs. outboard AD?

Thanks y'all. This is REALLY helpful...you guys all knows yo shitz (like I should expect anything less)

TB
Coffee is for Closers

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 05:06:35 PM »
modsbm-1 is a bit more than $300

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 05:12:43 PM »
uh...I know that. I was just attributing a monetary value to the auditory "upgrade" an outboard A/D would give me. Guess I could have said "$575. 65" but...I suck at math.
Coffee is for Closers

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 05:38:22 PM »
i think a modsbm1 would turn your recordings up that notch your looking for

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 05:38:30 PM »
Well, the sbm-1 is not going to give you 24bit. I also wouldn't recommend a stock sbm-1 as an A/D upgrade over say a trashcan...but the modsbm-1 is a whole nother story. You mentioned the TL's, new mics are always more fun than a new a/d and the TL's rock.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com