Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adobe Audition CS5.5  (Read 22737 times)

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
Adobe Audition CS5.5
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=audition

30 day trial  download.

I downloaded this yesterday and I'm just not sure... On the plus side file load faster and  it's almost like Isotope RX in that you can look at the spectrograph and remove noises (with photoshop like tools) ... on the other hand there are many things  that were not carried over from AA 3.0.      Its all very mac looking

Here is a list of program haves and have nots

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/895/cpsid_89588.html

Lets Talk about this.... I have always used "Cool Edit" but this ain't your dads Audition.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Adobe Audition CS5.5
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »
NO"
    Time stretch in clips,
    Effects panel (in Adobe Audition CS5.5, use the Effects Rack and Effects menu)
    DirectX plug-in support
    Dynamic Delay
    Dynamic EQ
    Envelope Follower
    Pan/Expand
    Quick Filter
    Scientific Filters
    Stereo Expander
    Stereo Field Rotate

And no backwards compatible support for .ses files WTF???  So I cannot go back and load previous session I had saved unless I skipp all the efx I had set up  that really sucks

I have used all of the above items.  So I guess I'll stick with AA3 for now.  Too bad that it is no a seamless integration

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
is this for MAc or PC?  also I am still using cool edit on my pc.  did that become audition?  these are probably beyond basic questions, so thanks in advance.  i am hoping to se tup my mac for dithering and tracking. 

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:10:34 AM »
Cool Edit Pro by Syntrillium became Adobe Audition years ago. 

I popped for CS5.5 for the Mac since I had used Cool Edit and Audition for years on the PC side.  The only thing that kept me from completely switching over to my macbook pro was an editing program that I was familiar with and would not have to relearn everything.  When CS5.5 came out for Mac that is all it took.

Mac still needs an equivalent program to CD Wave Editor for splitting tracks then I would be really happy.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:34 PM »
Cheesecadet,

thanks.  not trying to hijack this post, but what do you and others track with?  i still want to be able to make cd's when i want.  is Fission the best bet.  i might be willing to spring for the audition if it does most of the things cool edit did, but i do like Wave as well.

Titanium toast has been mentioned as sort of the Nero equivalent for Mac.  i still am doing all editing on my old slow pc. 

richard

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:43:48 AM »
Cheesecadet,

thanks.  not trying to hijack this post, but what do you and others track with?  i still want to be able to make cd's when i want.  is Fission the best bet.  i might be willing to spring for the audition if it does most of the things cool edit did, but i do like Wave as well.

Titanium toast has been mentioned as sort of the Nero equivalent for Mac.  i still am doing all editing on my old slow pc. 

richard

I think Audition for Mac is awesome.  Especially since I knew Cool Edit inside and out.  Audition has a little bit of a different look to it and some of the dropdown menus are a bit different but I made the transition pretty easily..  I basically do all my editing in Audition.  Then I do the dither and SRC using Wave Editor by audiophile engineering since it has the iZotope algorithm.  For tracking on the Mac I use Audacity or Fission...but most of the time I still throw my edited WAV on a thumbdrive, put it on my PC, and track using CD Wave Editor.

I use xACT for all encoding, extraction, etc.

I wish someone would make a Mac equivalent of CD Wave Editor.  Maybe SCB who created xACT could make a program like CD Wave Editor for us.  Don't know if anyone ever suggested it to him though.

I also use Toast 9 Titanium to burn on the Mac or if burning on my PC I use Nero 10
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »
To anyone using Audition CS5.5 on a Windows machine: have any bugs popped up yet?  In particular, I'm thinking about the issue in v.3 where the program would freeze up sometimes while previewing effects.  Thanks!

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:08 PM »
Then I do the dither and SRC using Wave Editor by audiophile engineering since it has the iZotope algorithm. 

I know AA CS5.5 uses Izotope for the compressors (specifically states "Powered by Izotope")....I guess I had just assumed it used Izotope all the way through.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 12:33:48 PM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what does CD Wave Editor do that everyone just loves.  I'm on a Mac, so I know it's not an option, unless I use a VM, but I just don't understand what people love about it.

TIA for the explanation.

keytohwy

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »
CD Wave Editor is a simple program that most folks use to split tracks (on sector boundaries).  Point and click easy.

You don't have to go in and set anything to "snap to" or "CDDA format" or any of that other BS that it seems you have to do on all other programs that I have tried.

It is very user intuitive.  Nothing as simple on the Mac side that I have found.

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 12:01:18 PM »
CD Wave Editor is a simple program that most folks use to split tracks (on sector boundaries).  Point and click easy.

You don't have to go in and set anything to "snap to" or "CDDA format" or any of that other BS that it seems you have to do on all other programs that I have tried.

It is very user intuitive.  Nothing as simple on the Mac side that I have found.

Amadeus has that.  I mean you just press "M" to make a marker where you want it.  when done you can use the command to modify markers to move all of them to sector boundaries with one click.  Seems pretty simple to me.  I can work in FLAC or WAV, etc.  I also like saving cue sheets out of the file, etc.  That makes collaborating on a file easier. 

Any way, thanks for the explanation.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »

You've got me.   I mean, it's easy and all (I used it when I had a PC) but I don't really find setting Audacity to snap to CDDA frames (a setting that stays turned on) all that tough.  Plus, exporting with the labeling function means the files are already tagged when exported, so I skip that step, too. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline DavidNJ

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
I've had all the versions...the new one is faster...one or two new edit features are cute...but the inability to zoom the spectral  display on a frequency range is very annoying. Photoshop (and Audition 3) lets you zoom in two axes.

Disappointed...

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
So I am still thinking I want AA3 not the CS5 version.  But which runs better on Win7?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »

You've got me.   I mean, it's easy and all (I used it when I had a PC) but I don't really find setting Audacity to snap to CDDA frames (a setting that stays turned on) all that tough.  Plus, exporting with the labeling function means the files are already tagged when exported, so I skip that step, too.

Being able to set Audition to snap to CDDA frames (or several other parameters) is a great thing to have, but I can tell you from lots of experience with AA that it doesn't always do it accurately for some reason.  I always make it a point to check my tracked files with Trader's Little Helper (or xAct on Mac) for SBE's and I usually find a few tracks that need to be fixed.

So I am still thinking I want AA3 not the CS5 version.  But which runs better on Win7?

Indeed, that is the question.  My biggest gripe with AA3 is that it freezes sometimes when previewing effects and requires you to restart the program.  Not fun and very frustrating.  Adobe was well aware of this issue and offered a half-baked patch that sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.  Other than that, it does everything I need it to do and is my go-to DAW.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.223 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com