Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Service needed? Nakamichi Dragon  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Service needed? Nakamichi Dragon
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »
Hi everyone!

So I finally got my hands on a Nakamichi Dragon cassettedeck. And it's sweeeet!

It's not been used much over the years, although it's been used from time to time.

The NAAC works just fine, but from time to time the speed slows down and I'm not able to use the autoreverse-function. It seems it hasn't got the "power" to play it the other way.

What causes this slowdown of the tapespeed? It's NOT wear and tear since it looks excellent (the power-switch text is not even worn out) and it looks nice and clean on the inside.

Is there any cleaning that can be done to prevent this, cause it only happens from time to time, not all the time. It sounds like something is in the way for the capstan-wheels, because a squeaky noise comes and goes when the capstans are spinning... when all is silent, it plays just fine...

I don't know what to do here....

Thankful for any type of answer....

/Jonas Karlsson, Sweden
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:26:51 AM by jontebus »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: MAJOR speed problems Nakamichi Dragon
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
This could be so many things on an old deck; lubricant migrates or turns to goo, pinch rollers and idlers dry out, belts dry out, caps go bad and cause the speed feedback to fail, motors get flaky, some debris gets into the mechanism. Really could be a lot of different things.

The associated squeak coming from the capstan area makes me think that the capstan bearings need to be lubed or replaced.  I don't know if they are sealed.  Don't go dripping WD40 or regular machine oil in there.  There is a specific type lubricant that is recommended and there is a specific type of grease for plastic gears. If lubricant has dried or migrated, you can still have a working machine with an intermittent  squeak when the mechanism drags until the mechanism eventually wears and the problem is persistent.

If you own the deck, it might be worth it to you to buy the service manual.  The service manual for my deck cost about $80US. 

You might want to check around on tapeheads.net and see if there is some info there specific to the Dragon but there will be a lot of more general info.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »
Thanks for the answer,

yes, there could be a million reasons to why this is happening. The thing is that it only happens occasionally. Right now it's flawless (plays every tape even with the auto reverse function) so I'm not sure what to think.

Talked to B&W in England, and they want 350-450 GBP to do a full check-up and service. Not too expensive right now, since you get one GBP for 10 Swedish Krona. It will be as new if I send it to them.

All I want is a machine that will work for years to come, and even though I know it has very little use over the years it might be best to send it in. The dry-out of many parts is a big risk, just because of it having very little use.

I downloaded a service manual for the Dragon, but since I'm not a technician I probably would do more damage than good while doing it...  ;)

/Jonas

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
If you plan to keep the deck for a long time, I think you are wise to send it in for a proper tuning and elective repairs.  If you replace parts that are working today but likely to fail due to age (rubber things), you can probably get another 20 years of service without worrying about parts becoming unavailable. The dragon is worth the investment.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
That's absolutely true my friend.

Will see how much cash I can scrape out..  :-\  I'm unemployed at the moment, but study to get a job later this year. Looking good in the jobmarket nowdays, so let's hope for the best.

/Jonas

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
Is there anyone here that has sent their Dragon for full service that can report their experiences afterwards?

Big difference? Do they leave any guarantee for the job? It's supposed to be as good as new after (Claim from B&W in England for instance).

Share your thoughts and experiences!

/Jonas

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Service needed? Nakamichi Dragon
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
No experience, but I think others have used: http://www.willyhermannservices.com/  with fantastic service on their deck.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 04:46:17 AM »
Yes, I've been in contact with him and he seems very nice, but sending the deck from Sweden to USA is even more worrying than doing it Sweden-England, where B&W is. He didn't recommend it either.

I was hoping to find a authorized Nakamichi-shop in Sweden, but have had no luck yet.

/Jonas

runonce

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »
Yes, I've been in contact with him and he seems very nice, but sending the deck from Sweden to USA is even more worrying than doing it Sweden-England, where B&W is. He didn't recommend it either.

I was hoping to find a authorized Nakamichi-shop in Sweden, but have had no luck yet.

/Jonas

I dont think you're going to find an "Authorized" shop anywhere...I dont think todays Nakamichi sells anything of great quality - or supports the legacy products in any way...

Pretty sure for the last decade Nak has been a Chinese brand...making car stereos and compact systems.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:03:50 AM by runonce »

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 01:08:33 AM »

I dont think you're going to find an "Authorized" shop anywhere...I dont think todays Nakamichi sells anything of great quality - or supports the legacy products in any way...

Pretty sure for the last decade Nak has been a Chinese brand...making car stereos and compact systems.

http://www.bowersandwilkins.co.uk/nakamichi%20home.html

So the word "authorized" mean nothing, you mean? Clearly states -up to 1996-

runonce

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:53 AM »

http://www.bowersandwilkins.co.uk/nakamichi%20home.html

So the word "authorized" mean nothing, you mean? Clearly states -up to 1996-

Yeah - it means the brand is still supported by the bigger corporate enitity...like if I have a problem with my R44 - I goto the Roland website - open a ticket and send my deck off to an authorized service center...You dont just google "Authorized Roland Support" and send the deck off...!

I dont think that is the case with these fellows...I dont think you'll find anyone at todays Nakamichi who would even know what your're talking about...or who these guys are.

Im taking that 1996 reference litterally - like "until 1996, we were an authorized dealer and service point" - and are now just using whatever "authorization" they may have once had as a marketing tool...I'd be certain they have no connection to the present Nakamichi. (why would they!!?)

They may well be the best for the job - they have the tools, the parts, the calibration tools, the experience...the only place you can obtain (what was once called) "authorized" service...

The only thing I can think Nakamichi may have authorized here is the use of their logo...

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »
Ok, I interpret this as "we service any Nakamichi device (of those mentioned) that are made up until 1996" - produced later can be served by Nakamichi themselves. But that's perhaps only me?

I hope my last message didn't come out as harsch, and I just hope I can get hold of a place that can service the deck in mint condition again, even though it plays fine now, I had severe speed problems the other week. Would also be nice to have it measured and calibrated 100%...

Thanks for your replies though, appreciated!

/Jonas

Yeah - it means the brand is still supported by the bigger corporate enitity...like if I have a problem with my R44 - I goto the Roland website - open a ticket and send my deck off to an authorized service center...You dont just google "Authorized Roland Support" and send the deck off...!

I dont think that is the case with these fellows...I dont think you'll find anyone at todays Nakamichi who would even know what your're talking about...or who these guys are.

Im taking that 1996 reference litterally - like "until 1996, we were an authorized dealer and service point" - and are now just using whatever "authorization" they may have once had as a marketing tool...I'd be certain they have no connection to the present Nakamichi. (why would they!!?)

They may well be the best for the job - they have the tools, the parts, the calibration tools, the experience...the only place you can obtain (what was once called) "authorized" service...

The only thing I can think Nakamichi may have authorized here is the use of their logo...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com