Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24/48 vs. 24/96 Tree  (Read 16725 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: 24/48 vs. 24/96 Tree
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2005, 09:20:34 PM »
got these today, but haven't had a chance to listen to them yet...

I'm waiting for Heath to PM me his address, and I'll send them along.

thanks again Wayne, I'll PM you soon when I get a chance to listen :)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2005, 09:22:52 PM »
got these today, but haven't had a chance to listen to them yet...

I'm waiting for Heath to PM me his address, and I'll send them along.

thanks again Wayne, I'll PM you soon when I get a chance to listen :)

ditto, got mine today also wayne..thanx a ton....I can d/l these to my comp and pass them along to another person if someone wants....
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2005, 09:28:20 PM »
ditto, got mine today also wayne..thanx a ton....I can d/l these to my comp and pass them along to another person if someone wants....

FYI, These are WAV files, so if somebody wants WAVs instead of the DVD discs, you should get in touch with My Old Jerry...

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2005, 09:15:25 AM »
I'd prefer the wavs, so I'm gonna get in touch with my old jerry.  Thanks so much!!!

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 09:23:10 AM »
I'd prefer the wavs, so I'm gonna get in touch with my old jerry.  Thanks so much!!!

Of course you cheat then because you'll know exactly which are which. ;-)

Wayne

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2005, 09:27:19 AM »

Wayne

ehh...my ears are about as golden as granite...so cheating isnt even a matter...I just want to listen to see if I can tell any difference....I havent had a chance yet..but I will tonight when i load them to my hd.  I am suspecting that I wont be able to hear anything, esp without a good headphone amp.  thanx again wayne!!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2005, 09:27:49 AM »

Wayne

true, but it's just easier for me to deal with wavs, and run them through the console for a side by side simultaneous A/B.  I'll see if I can have another engineer load up the files, and then I'll just listen without looking...  ;D   Thanks again for hooking this up!

h

The Upstream Mend

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2005, 04:52:05 PM »

ehh...my ears are about as golden as granite...so cheating isnt even a matter...I just want to listen to see if I can tell any difference....I havent had a chance yet..but I will tonight when i load them to my hd.  I am suspecting that I wont be able to hear anything, esp without a good headphone amp.  thanx again wayne!!

Haven't heard from some of the others who got these discs yet. Anybody tell a real difference between the two?

Wayne

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2005, 06:22:52 PM »
I finally got a chance to sit down early this afternoon to listen to these.  I spent about 30-40 minutes switching back and forth doing the blind test.  The recordings do sound great, and I had a hard time telling the difference between them, if I noticed anything at all.  I think I noticed the differences in the mix, and whatever other small variables come into play and may change from one week to the next, more than any differences from the sample rate.
(fwiw, I did all the listening with a Denon DVD player > digi coax > grace 901 > grado rs2 headphones)

then I uncovered the little sample-rate lights on the 901, so I know which is which now.  I spent another hour or so critically listening to both of these and switching back and forth.  The differences are very subtle.  To me, it sounds as though the 96kHz show is slightly more accurate.  here's what I mean after listening to the 96kHz show for a bit, when I switched back to the 48kHz, I could hear a subtle difference.  It's definitely not what I would call muddy, maybe just slightly more "smeared."  with the 48kHz show, each individual note of the mandolin or banjo would start "now."  with the 96kHz show, each individual note would start "NOW."  slightly more accurate, in a time sense. (and you can probably tell, I'm not very good at describing in words the musical characteristics I'm trying to describe)

Now, this is just what I'm able to put into words, and after knowing which is which.  I had a guess (which was correct) of which was which before I looked.  but it was just that, a guess.  that's why I was so curious and looked at the grace lights :)  would I have had the same thoughts if I didn't look at the sample-rate lights?  maybe, maybe not.

here's a question I have, can the Deva do this:
just use two mics, and record channel 1 & 2 at 24/96, and record channel 3 & 4 at 24/48.  that way, it's the exact same signal, just one recorded at 24/96 and the other at 24/48.  Can the Deva do that?  have channel 3 & 4 only record every other bit  :)  if so, that would be cool, and a better comparison.

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2005, 06:37:14 PM »
here's a question I have, can the Deva do this:
just use two mics, and record channel 1 & 2 at 24/96, and record channel 3 & 4 at 24/48.  that way, it's the exact same signal, just one recorded at 24/96 and the other at 24/48.  Can the Deva do that?  have channel 3 & 4 only record every other bit  :)  if so, that would be cool, and a better comparison.

No. It records either at 96 or 48, not both. At some point they may allow a change in sampling rate to the digital output signal, but it's currently not working that way.

Wayne

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2005, 06:49:42 PM »
oh well.  thanks for this comparison.

side question.  when software resamples from 96 > 48kHz, does it do any real calculations?  or does it simply drop every other sample?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2005, 10:47:36 PM »
Heath,  did you ever listen to these?  I'm curious about what you thought.

I sent my initial results to Wayne but basicly I reported the same results as Jason.  I could not really pick out the 96K on my system.  Both sounded awesome and there was an obvious difference between th two recordings, but not what I would attribute to the sampling rate.  I am going to compare again when I get some time to play with this loaner power cord.

I'm still going to record at 96k when that is available to me, but at least if I have to run at 48k to save drive space I won't be feeling bad about it ;-).
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2005, 06:49:59 AM »
the only thing i've ever been able to notice on most of my 96kHz recordings is immence detail....
of the conversations of other patrons around my mics.
and dats dat

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2005, 07:14:06 AM »
the only thing i've ever been able to notice on most of my 96kHz recordings is immence detail....
of the conversations of other patrons around my mics.
and dats dat

My guess is that is a 24-bit thing, and not a sampling rate thing. I was listening to a commercial DVD-A recording of Mozart's Requiem the other day and noticed some "noise". I stopped the player put on the headphones, and turned up the volume a bit. I was hearing the movement of the players' instruments, or some other object. I happen to own the same Deutsche Grammophon recording on CD, so I pulled that out and put it on. I didn't notice the sound until I put on the headphones and listened very carefully. It was there, but either they masked it much better on the CD, or it simply blended into the mix better at 16-bits, I'm not sure which.

While there will be some audience noise on the samples I sent out, these were done via very close mic placement, so the chatter is more in the background to begin with.

For the samples, here is how I recorded them:

o        o
--------------------------  <-- Stage Lip
         x x   

where o = QTC-1 Omni's clamped to performer's mic stand
 and X = SR-77's aimed at performers.

Wayne

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »
Heath,  did you ever listen to these?  I'm curious about what you thought.

have not received yet.  once i've got it and have had a chance to sit down with the discs I'll report back  ;)

The Upstream Mend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com