Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Camcorder for low profile concert recording? Sony HDR-CX520V ?  (Read 13126 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best Camcorder for low profile concert recording? Sony HDR-CX520V ?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
The cx550v does have a viewfinder and a nice dial near the lens you can use it for focus,exposure,shutter speed,iris. It records to 64gb built in memory. You can add a  SD card also.You can disable the auto gain control for audio by choosing the low mic setting.  There is an unmentioned feature which is the ability to use a LANC controller.This works thru the a-v input.Bh photo has the adapter cable. I got from amazon the 8 button lanc remote controller for $25 and can control the zoom with multiple speed settings and control focus  etc.Great for use with tripod work .

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 01:29:05 AM »
Just how down low?  Holding a camcorder even a small one for an hour at a time is a chore.  I like my FH1, but it's stabilization sucks, so without a monopod or table clamp or other means of taking the human out of the equation (for stabilization anyway), not that great of results.  Kodak Zi8 for that pocket thing, but no real zoom abilities on those types.  TM700 is probably the better cheap consumer camcorder, not to imply cheap.  And it has a fan which has it's own set of issues.  Go pro, american scientific and others in the helmet type cams.  Not always ideal as little to no zoom, super wide angle / fish eye lens by default, and other quirks.  But waterproof and other pluses.  For those it rained, or hot summer day and you sweat a lot things.  Or just that drink accident in the same bag as the video gear.  There's a few spy like cams, but battery life generally sucks and no sizeable sensors to do well in low light.  And like the helmet cams, no zoom ability.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 03:21:52 AM »
DPA 4061 plus the video, one would have to give.  right? 4061 not the best from the back of the venue?  How are you planning on mixing the two to get the best out of both, location , location , location but where would that be?  i am just curious.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 07:54:52 AM »
Once you add video, the camera pretty much dictates your location.  Without options like a wide angle lens, fish eye lens, or tele lens to have a vote in that location, it is what it is.  Which seems to be 3x's away from a stage as the stage is wide without zoom for my camera.  Which for my OMNI stereo mics, doesn't leave much of a stereo image.  At least not without some form of baffle between the mics (head).  Definitely not ideal for audio.  But for the venue and genre I record, being behind most of the audience with a little elevation to the mics (stand + boom arm) is a good thing.  Lots of folks walking in front of the camera, but far fewer people behind you chucking popcorn or who knows what because you're blocking their view.  And if you have a crew, you can put the audio guy where it counts and swap audio in post.  But I don't play that well with others.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »
limo window tint works great over the lcd but i too like to have a view finder
better battery life

This is exactly right, nowadays there are a zillion phones and digital cameras at shows,  how is someone going to notice your LCD open? just put a little tint on it and you will be fine. 

What you are noticing about the Roger Waters clips from Chicago is NOT a superior camera,  what you are seeeing is video shot by an experienced videographer who used the right settings for the conditions.  THAT is far more important than the camera. He also has the right seat to pull off a good video and appears to be using a real tripod.

Both the Sony 550 and Panasonic 700's are great cameras, when i made my choice I bought a TM700, slightly better low ligh performance and 12x vs 10x
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »
Just how down low?  Holding a camcorder even a small one for an hour at a time is a chore.  I like my FH1, but it's stabilization sucks, so without a monopod or table clamp or other means of taking the human out of the equation (for stabilization anyway), not that great of results. 

I own 2 Fh1's that i use for stationary shots,  they are EXCELLENT low light cameras bu they absolutely suck at stabilization
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline kozakz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »
I bought pana TM700 this summer. I am very pleased with the result. Even it's own mics records in quite reasonable quality. Of course at loud shows it fails, but i always feed an external source to the camera during the shows. I lower the input sensitivity to the minimum and adjust on my fostex or iriver the volumes.

I selected TM700 over Sony 550 due to it's manual control on the mic inputs.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
Just how down low?  Holding a camcorder even a small one for an hour at a time is a chore.  I like my FH1, but it's stabilization sucks, so without a monopod or table clamp or other means of taking the human out of the equation (for stabilization anyway), not that great of results. 

I own 2 Fh1's that i use for stationary shots,  they are EXCELLENT low light cameras bu they absolutely suck at stabilization

No argument from me on that.  But I use supplemental stabilization, even handheld.  It doesn't take much to accommodate stabilization, but what a difference it makes.  And that's a $500 option that I can live without at the next upgrade.  Plus not all people are shaky with a camcorder in their hands.  My 8yo nephew (at the time) used my FH1 without any assisting devices and you'd think that he used a set of rails or something.  For me, I need a mini-tripod to brace against my forearm or a bowling glove at a minimmum.  Age + Beer + Nerves = Footage in the style of an old wood roller-coaster.

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »

Mine is sitting wrapped under the tree at this very moment!  Can't wait to try my first concert with it.

Do you have any links to shows you have filmed?

Thanks,
Datfly

I bought pana TM700 this summer. I am very pleased with the result. Even it's own mics records in quite reasonable quality. Of course at loud shows it fails, but i always feed an external source to the camera during the shows. I lower the input sensitivity to the minimum and adjust on my fostex or iriver the volumes.

I selected TM700 over Sony 550 due to it's manual control on the mic inputs.
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »
Here is the Encore from Loudon this summer.  TM700, 60i, OIS on, hand held.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABYv3KE_KmI
I've started checking zebra pattern exposure after this as every time Warren steps into that spot his features wash out...
Neumann gear slut

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com