Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message  (Read 66458 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: 744/722 "Media too slow" Message
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2005, 09:06:31 PM »
>>I was able to work around the issue that Scott experienced with the glitches at the end of the file. I just set the auto split at 4gb, and during the encore pause, Nick pressed stop and started a new file. Nothing is lost because of the 5 second pre roll function. <<

isn't it 2 seconds? anyway, that's a great way around the problem. a quick stop and start should do it.

not sure how long the buffer is, but honestly, I stopped and started rolling all within a second....very quck reaction time unlike DAT, I am guessing nothing was missed....not ideal, but a workaround til they get this bug fixed....

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2005, 09:25:40 PM »
>>I was able to work around the issue that Scott experienced with the glitches at the end of the file.  I just set the auto split at 4gb, and during the encore pause, Nick pressed stop and started a new file.  Nothing is lost because of the 5 second pre roll function. <<

isn't it 2 seconds?  anyway, that's a great way around the problem.  a quick stop and start should do it. 

pre roll at 96k is 5 seconds, or so the manual says.  I haven't really paid much attention to it though... just took it as a given, but I'll pay attention the next time I hit record.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2005, 10:10:51 PM »
either way, i think it may turn out to be the best boxever quite hoinestly,

Fluffer!

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2005, 11:23:02 PM »
>>it WAS on the grace site in the past...that is my point...that material CAME from Grace, not from the vendors<<

from the wayback machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20021026154229/http://www.gracedesign.com/products/V3/V3frame.htm

says: •Operates on 6V DC and includes a locking DC connector for confidence when operating in the field.
Future expansion capabilities allow for implementation of direct-to-computer connection such as USB 2.x, Firewire, mLan etc.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2005, 11:31:23 PM »
grace wrote the spec sheet and the Q&A answers..the vendors just posted it

I remember those postings, and at no time do I recall Grace committing to the V3 firewire interface.  Thanks to Scott for the Grace quote from the Wayback Machine - "allows" != "it's coming on X date".  At any rate, we can mince the words all we want - but I believe the fact remains Grace made the right decision.

its sad that grace has never "finished" the v3 and added a high speed computer interface that could effectively take advantage of its higher bit depth and sample rates....

It's easy enough to take advantage of the V3s higher bit depth and sample rates - run into a PC.

i would have loved to have used the v3 directly into a computer at 24/96 without having to buy ANOTHER input box...

Again, it's not difficult to run any number of interfaces into PC to support the V3s higher bit depth and sample rate.  Adding a PCMCIA card to a laptop - easy.  Adding an external interface box - not as easy, but still pretty darn simple.  Not fundamentally different than running my Hosa ODL-312 digital format converter - it's just another box to power and on which I have to ensure solid cable connections.  The ability to transfer via JB3 in all of about 3min / hr of music made it all worthwhile.  Apparently, in your case, capturing higher bit depth and sample rates didn't warrant spending a few bucks on the additional box.  I can understand that decision as I made the same one (though mine had more to do with the PITA of a PC, not the interface box), but to somehow "blame" Grace for not providing your ideal solution is a cop out - and doesn't acknowledge the simple fact that you could have done it easily and cheaply enough had you really wanted to do so.

as far as their reason of firewire being too expensive, i dont buy it... they might notice that there are firewire capable preamps made by other vendors starting in price at $200 (total price)...the point of the computer interface is obvious to other vendors...esp for portable preamps that also include A/D stage

I suspect the manufacturer's of those other devices also have a helluva lot broader market than Grace.  Grace's products are a relatively niche market, not mass consumption devices like the $200 firewire capable preamps that every Joe Schmoe uses in their "home studio".  Obviously, they had to decide:  will they sell enough units, at a high enough margin, to recover their $N investment.  When they likely saw the writing on the wall that the future of high res recorders wasn't computer-based at all, the decision probably very quickly became "no".

fortunately i never bought into their upgrade strategy that never materialized...i've been waiting..i'm still waiting

You won't have to wait much longer - the 7xx will support the V3s higher bit depth and sample rates.  'Course, for my money it's too expensive for all I want it to do:  record.  But other devices will soon follow.  Perhaps the proposed M-Audio box will be the one, maybe the one after that will do the trick.  Who knows.  Their upgrade strategy hasn't materialized simply because it's taken time for the industry to produce higher bit depth and sample rate capable recording devices for the market - not through any fault of Grace's upgrade strategy.

At any rate, the solution you seek is coming, and Grace's decision will IMO prove wholly appropriate - the 7xx and future boxes won't take a firewire input from the V3, but rather S/PDIF and AES/EBU.  A lot of good a firewire interface would do you, then!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2005, 01:04:44 AM »
as far as firewire as an interface...check a sweetwater catalog if you doubt it has a future as an interconnect for audio devices...if anything, interfaces like S/PDIF and AES/EDU are likely to have a more difficult time than an interconnect like firewire that supports nearly any application/use

No doubt firewire has its place.  But how many of the current portable field recorders include a firewire input?  How many of the just now forthcoming 24-bit field recorders include a firewire input?

the point of this whole grace dialog was that...GRACE (the fluffers choice) promised/alluded/insinuated/whatever that there would be a firewire upgrade path for the V3 and failed to deliver (something some people here seem to have forgotten)....

You've made your point with the dialog - you assumed Grace would deliver functionality they never claimed they would deliver.  No word games here, you're the only one playing word games by making assumptions about ambiguous statements.  The fact remains:  one can't fail to deliver something if one never commits to delivering it in the first place.  If you consider "Future expansion capabilities allow for implementation of direct-to-computer connection such as USB 2.x, Firewire, mLan etc." a tangible commitment to their user base, so be it - I'm obviously not going to change your mind.  Suit yourself, and I hope you're enjoying your bitter disappointment - whether it's related to Grace's upgrade strategy, or the SD bashing here by a select few.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2005, 08:05:52 AM »
>>I was able to work around the issue that Scott experienced with the glitches at the end of the file.  I just set the auto split at 4gb, and during the encore pause, Nick pressed stop and started a new file.  Nothing is lost because of the 5 second pre roll function. <<

isn't it 2 seconds?  anyway, that's a great way around the problem.  a quick stop and start should do it. 

pre roll at 96k is 5 seconds, or so the manual says.  I haven't really paid much attention to it though... just took it as a given, but I'll pay attention the next time I hit record.

There is a pre-roll buffer length configuration menu option(9).
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2005, 08:40:44 AM »
Instead of stop and start, what if you just used the record button while recording to split the files (set menu option to split on record press)? Would that solve the problem too, rather than stop-start?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2005, 09:08:05 AM »
i think "not logged in" ran in to the same issue doing that as the auto split.  not sure though

Offline not logged in

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2005, 09:35:13 AM »
yep...same problem where you split the file manually (by pushing the record button while recording).

but with a manual split between songs, the glitch can be fixed without messing up a song.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2005, 09:47:33 AM »
looks like they fixed the split problem

Quote from: matta33178
You are correct.  There will be new firmware Weds which will fix this.
Retired Taper

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2005, 10:54:46 AM »
If anyone wants to borrow my V3>dap1 LMK ;D ;D ;D

People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2005, 11:06:44 AM »

can I get a copy of your Saturday night Raleigh?  Soulive in NYC? 

:P

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2005, 11:11:27 AM »

can I get a copy of your Saturday night Raleigh?  Soulive in NYC? 

:P

Point taken. Lets not talk about that Soulive show. I've never seen that much tape come out of a deck! But still, my average over the raleigh>cola run was higher than the 722's. The sat second set was all that took a dump on me and still managed to kick an analog V3 to your 722. (so at least the set was not lost)

Oh yeah, I need a copy of that.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2005, 11:29:45 AM »
In 11 years, I never had a problem with my D7.  I had plenty of media problems though - Sony's new shell causing load problems, unlabelled KAO fiasco, bad batch that had dropouts.  I remember in '93-'94 timeframe when a bad shipment of DATs was blamed on them sitting out in the sun on a dock after the earthquake in Japan.  At least with the 722 there won't be any issues like that.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com