Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hooke binaural bluetooth recording system - NOW REVIEWED  (Read 35351 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Hooke binaural bluetooth recording system - NOW REVIEWED
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 03:18:19 AM »
See http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=187003.0 for the jazz club sample from the Hooke Verse and the Zoom H1N.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2018, 12:10:38 AM »
first impressions:

kind of a consumer-level product imo. Although it is marketed as such, not really built with our application as the focus. the heavily weighted ear pieces dont stay in my ears regardless of which of the many options i use. moderate shaking of head from side to side dislodges it under all circumstances. They need triple flanged silicone like the etymotics, though im not sure how well that would work with all the external weight torquing on it. i know people report that the shures have cable noise issues but im guessing thats more easily remedied with a clip. The Verse would suffer from noise of constantly manually adjusting the earpieces

at the current time bluetooth is limited by not being able to do wav, esp if it has connectivity issues, i know their update soon is promising lossless bluetooth and hopefully better connectivity but OZpeters experiences above make me leery. so far it seems the connectivity with my iphone SE is difficult to discern. it does wierd stuff when turning off the screen like stopping recording, stopping monitoring, etc. not much confidence in bringing home a recording with a device like this

as far as a similar feature set (in ear location of transducers with recording straight to the phone) im more of a fan of the sennheiser/apogee design that has lightweight earpieces and control box down on the cable.

IMO the only advantage to bluetooth would be simple design for being low pro with less cables, but this is a very conspicuous headset with a red light on the side while recording. (Esp if you get the white one - i kind of regret it although it was $50 cheaper). No way it can compete with something like DPAs for being invisible. Obviously at 1/2 the cost of a single DPA and 1/6 of the cost of a d:vice setup its priced to compete at a different segment but im not sure it offers an advantage over the other similarly priced binaural in-ear solutions like the senn/apogee ambeo (which works with an iphone) or the shure or sound professionals binaurals (which would require a line-in recorder)

really the only way id personally use this at a show is to mount it up in a hat where it would be hidden and also wouldnt get jostled around

im a sucker for details and when i see little things like misspellings in the app itself, as well all kind of bugs in the (iOS) app like:
doesnt rotate between portrait and landscape. which wouldnt be a problem, but....
-if you start it in portrait mode the record button covers the timer
-if you start it in landscape mode you can see the timer but cant adjust the levels
-turn off screen in landscape mode>app looks like its still recording, although it stops

The app is baffling, no documentation and no easy indication of how to get to the gallery of recorded files without recording another segment and stopping it. some of the files that looked like they were recording are nowhere to be found, either that or they are truncated to less than a minute and lost in the numerous short recordings i had to do to get to the gallery.

it just seems like unfortunately after all these years its still not ready for prime time. I'd like to upload  the test recording i made, but literally cant find them anywhere on the iphone. i'd have to use my limited data to upload it to the cloud, as the normal app i use to fetch files from other audio apps over USB cant find the recordings

the whole experience just seems half baked. I'm supportive of small companies and kickstarter mentality, but it seems like hooke ran out of resources before getting this ambitious product to a stable release level. The thing could sound like gold but if the required proprietary software is not reliable its a non-starter. I know there is an update coming up, but its hard to believe that this is an actual release version on a year-old product and not an alpha, its not stable in the slightest. I feel like ive been thru this before with companies who dont have strong support like creative, m-audio, etc. (as opposed to robust solutions like digigram, RME, DPA, Sound Devices etc that you really have to work hard to try to break their operation)

They patch the holes in the boat but usually software this buggy has serious underlying issues that a bugfix cant solve. Theres a big difference in it working in the development lab on a single device under controlled conditions, and it being a reliable solution for most or all in the field. The latter is the bar. It has to work first time, every time, otherwise its not even in the game.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:39:50 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2018, 07:41:46 AM »
I think I agree with the general thrust of what you've thoughtfully posted.

Another alternative is the Roland in-ear mics.  But then you've got to use them with something that's obviously a recorder.  Actually they connect to the little Zoom H1N rather neatly, with their angled connectors directing the cables down the slim sides of the recorder.

Let's see what the new app version brings...

Offline AnthonyMattana

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
Hey All, Anthony here, founder of Hooke Audio.

Wanted to address some of the concerns JerryFreak has addressed as well as outline the latest features added to our iOS 2.2 update:
- 1080 and 4K video capture
- lossless .wav audio capture
- Ability to lock camera focus
- Ability to lock camera exposure
- Shoot 24fps video
- Video image stabilization when shooting
- Improved accessibility on iPhone X
- Improved stability when recording long audio
- Improved Bluetooth performance by integrating new Xcode 9.3

As a reminder, the wireless recording option is not intended for professional use, this is why we include a recording cable free of charge. Bluetooth is an incredibly tricky beast, especially when you are using it to stream dual channel .wav audio at very little latency back to a phone. What we are doing is incredibly difficult and will take time (there's a reason no other company is offering BT recording options at this time), but we are confident that with more app updates, which come at 0 cost to the customer, we can get the Verse and app operating at where we need it to be.

Also, JerryFreak you mentioned about not being able to find your audio only recordings once completed. You can blame Apple for this one and their desire to dominate with iTunes. They do not let any third party audio app like ours access the iTunes library or be stored to voice memos. The easiest way to share audio only from the app would be to airdrop to your mac or sync to google drive/dropbox directly in app. I also will text myself the recordings which works well too.

JerryFreak, the skewed portrait and landscape views is complete news to me. I've never seen this issue reported nor experienced it on the 11 iPhones y team tests on. Could you please send screenshots of this issue to info@hookeaudio.com?

I'm here should you have any questions. That's one benefit of supporting a small business, I actually care about you guys.

Hope you all had a Happy 4th! Got some great recordings of the Macy's NYC Fireworks show with my Verse and the new app if ya wanna here: https://youtu.be/BxXl1cYaGvo

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2018, 10:32:03 AM »

^Well this is awesome!

Seems like a lot of people find our little community here and offer a hand supporting their own products.

Thanks Anthony for dropping in to answer questions and offer support.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »
Will a future Android update bring similar features, I wonder?  Good to see this project remains very much alive anyway.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2018, 12:49:59 AM »
Also, JerryFreak you mentioned about not being able to find your audio only recordings once completed. You can blame Apple for this one and their desire to dominate with iTunes. They do not let any third party audio app like ours access the iTunes library or be stored to voice memos.

i'm not a fan of apple's walled file system nor do i use itunes so im not sure how the apple apps handle files. here are 2 third party apps that can see recordings from apogee metarecorder , voice recorder pro, and rode recorder apps, but cannot find hooke audio recordings. Probably worthwhile to find out how they are doing it, because transferring large files over usb is almost always the easiest and quickest method

https://www.copytrans.net/
http://www.i-funbox.com/

as for screenshot see attached. thats an iphone SE, from whatever version was current last week. i had deleted that and just reinstalled v 2.3.0 and it still looks like that (with the recording button covering the timer). though i see there is a "record wav' toggle in the menu now and i can get to the recordings by the musical note icon in the upper right corner

As a reminder, the wireless recording option is not intended for professional use

this is unfortunate for our application as a 'professional' level of reliability is what most people here expect from their equipment. Without the bluetooth as the central feature, from a practical perspective it is difficult to justify the advantage of the hooke relative to all of the high quality conventionally-wired mics on the market today

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 12:57:25 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »
Also, JerryFreak you mentioned about not being able to find your audio only recordings once completed. You can blame Apple for this one and their desire to dominate with iTunes. They do not let any third party audio app like ours access the iTunes library or be stored to voice memos. The easiest way to share audio only from the app would be to airdrop to your mac or sync to google drive/dropbox directly in app. I also will text myself the recordings which works well too.

Hi,

I ran across your response and forgive me for asking if there might be a simple answer, but maybe you can shed some light about this because I'm a bit confused.

Basically if you use some other software intended for recording on the iOS like the R0DE recording software, you have the option to import your recordings through iTunes that you make from the iTunes software. All you basically have to do is just open iTunes, click on the app you recorded the files with, and you'll find the files in there.

Unfortunately, I really don't know how it works for your product, but it seems from how you are talking about it, it doesn't work the same way like the R0DE software? Can you clarify this a little better if I am misunderstanding you?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 08:36:27 PM »

Basically if you use some other software intended for recording on the iOS like the R0DE recording software, you have the option to import your recordings through iTunes that you make from the iTunes software. All you basically have to do is just open iTunes, click on the app you recorded the files with, and you'll find the files in there.

im not sure if thats a question. if it is, i dont know how rode behaves with itunes as i have never used itunes

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
There's a new version of the Hooke Android app available (released a couple of weeks ago I think) which brings worthwhile improvements in video and audio quality on suitable devices, but the trouble is, what a suitable device actually is depends on I don't know what.  I have about 4 different android phones here, and only one of them will correctly display the settings menu.  I suspect their budget doesn't extend to testing other than on a limited range of devices, which is understandable, but it does mean that the end user has to do the testing for them.  And if you buy the device and then discover the app won't work properly with the phone you happen to have, you've either got to return the device or buy a new phone.

Having said that, when I did a simple test of standing outside the front of my house under a tree full of singing parrots, with cars passing intermittently by, the result was excellent.  A binaural sound recording replayed through headphones is perhaps the nearest we can get to time travel - your senses (ears) are receiving exactly what they would have received at the time of the recording.  Anything depending on the eyes really doesn't work the same way - you can't reproduce the immersive feeling you get from sound.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »
returned mine. Am liking my sennheiser ambeos for low-cost binaural use. its flawless and i can use any recording app i want and find the files easily.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
returned mine. Am liking my sennheiser ambeos for low-cost binaural use. its flawless and i can use any recording app i want and find the files easily.

Can the ambeos record at 24/96?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2018, 05:29:38 PM »

not sure i never record at 96k even with my better gear

Offline AnthonyMattana

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »
Hey there! Responses to your questions below.

Will a future Android update bring similar features, I wonder?  Good to see this project remains very much alive anyway.

Yes, the latest Android app has all of these features. Of course we're alive! This isn't really a project, it's a company :-)

I am not familiar with how other apps gain access to iTunes for importing, but to my knowledge it is not possible. I just airdrop my recordings to my mac, takes a few seconds and is so easy. For Android I just plug into my computer and use Android file transfer. So much easier than going through iTunes.

Sorry to see you go JerryFreak! Please note that with future updates to our app, Hooke Verse will only get better at no additional cost.

No, they cannot.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2018, 02:30:08 AM »
You could say that the ambeos device "cheats" by (a) having a wired connection and (b) only working in the much more predictable Apple phone environment.  So they've got it easy.  And they also are much more in competition with the several other wired binaural in-ears that have been available for years from the likes of Roland.  But of course it you are recording something unrepeatable then you want guaranteed results rather than cutting edge.  Different strokes etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com