Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best in-ear earphones ???  (Read 3017 times)

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
Best in-ear earphones ???
« on: October 16, 2004, 02:13:07 PM »
I do a good bit of travelling by air, and I'm looking for a decent set of in-ear earphones to listen to music/watch DVD's on my laptop while in the airport or on the plane. I don't want to sacrifice sonic boom for compactness. At the moment I'm lugging my Sony MVR's around, and I'm looking to slim down.

Any thoughts? I know about the etymotics, but that's a bit steep.
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best in-ear earphones ???
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 02:22:35 PM »
If you're on a low, low budget, search around for Koss (~$20) earphones, headphones, some similar keyword.  You can get the cheapo Koss earphones, and if want better isolation can yank off the rubber plugs and insert the "speaker tube" thingy that delivers the music into a foam earplug.  I think Shure also offers a less expensive flavor of in-ear 'phones (maybe around $~60?) - check out their website and shop around.  I have the Ety ER-6s and love 'em, but they're not super cheap at ~$100.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 02:33:36 PM »
If you're on a low, low budget, search around for Koss (~$20) earphones, headphones, some similar keyword.  You can get the cheapo Koss earphones, and if want better isolation can yank off the rubber plugs and insert the "speaker tube" thingy that delivers the music into a foam earplug.  I think Shure also offers a less expensive flavor of in-ear 'phones (maybe around $~60?) - check out their website and shop around.  I have the Ety ER-6s and love 'em, but they're not super cheap at ~$100.

Do yourself a favor and spend at least $100. You will not be sorry. If you travel a lot and enjoy quality sound you will find it money well spent.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 02:38:21 PM »
Are these the ones?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00001P4XA/qid=1097951505/sr=2-2/ref=pd_ka_b_2_2/102-4096702-8015330

I haven't used them or tried the mod, so I'm not positive.  But I think so, yes.  I used a pair of Koss earplugs a loooooong time ago and IMO they sounded like horseshit.  I'd look into the Shure's - seem like a good cost/quality compromise, i.e. good value.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 02:53:58 PM »
i have the shures, decent fit, decent sound, takes some getting used to but good.

Offline reesey

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Artist Type
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 01:00:58 PM »
i like my shures as well ER2's.  pretty flat.  killer iso.  pretty comfy, specially if you get ones that work with the super-soft ear pluggys.  the foam ones are perfect for shows, but you dont wanna be sharing cause they are wax grabbers.  the rubber is good for shows and scoootering and snowboarding.  i little less comfy then the foam but better hearing of friends and whatnot. 
mk4>kc5>cmc6xt>sx-m2>mt2496
d{^_^}b
       \~

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 04:48:07 PM »
for air travel, I've got a pair of the Bose (go ahead, laugh) noise cancelling headphones.  Absolutely amazing, and you can turn the noise cancelling circuit on without feeding it music to cut the engine noise out when you're trying to sleep.  Well worth the money, especially if your primary use for them is on a plane.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 04:52:10 PM »
ER6's ownz
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com