Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Got Yer Boots On ?  (Read 4251 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Got Yer Boots On ?
« on: April 29, 2005, 08:43:47 PM »
There are some  *strange*  marketing angles in playback.
This one has just crossed my screen. 
So strange, so very, very strange:

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: Got Yer Boots On ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 08:53:35 PM »
Those are some sexy looking amps.  I think the strangeness of the advertisement is a language/translation/cultural thing.   I've seen other asian marketing material that played on the power of words used in the naming of the product.  Again, those are some really sexy looking amps. 

Are you thinking of trying one? 

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 12:07:34 PM »
Yeah but what I'm really looking for is an amp that sounds Decent... I'm getting tired of everyone trying to push those fantastic models on me!  ;D
Yes, but what do you HEAR?

BobW

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 01:06:09 AM »
No, I'm thinking of building something again.
The SEP EL34s at 10 wpc are sweet, but don't move alot of air.

Perhaps more EL34s and a bigger SE transformer.

I won't buy anything from China until they Free Tibet
I don't dislike the people. But I can't see how they can tolerate their leaders.
Boycotting Chinese goods is the only way that I can voice my opinion to them.

That said,  I strongly recommend NOT  buying any gear that doesn't have at least 5-10 US-based vendors with authorized repair facilities, if you are in the US.  Parts and service for foreign tube equipment can be a bummer.
Tube gear is definitely less reliable than S.S.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 08:43:46 AM by Lower-Powered »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 04:24:52 PM »
I hear you, but I don't think the people of the PRC have much choice in their leadership.  My tube gear is all designed, manufactured and supported right here in Fairfax County USA.  You can't get much more local than that.

Do you design your own amps or build something from a design or kit?  I haven't built any electronic projects since everything went to SMD. 

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 03:15:12 PM »
I don't dislike the people. But I can't see how they can tolerate their leaders.

but I applaud you for sticking to your guns about Chinese goods... +T for that
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 08:32:56 AM »

Thanks !  I try to stick to the "no Chinese goods" rule as much as I can.
Tain't easy.
One thing is certain, I am in no way amused at foreign interests that won't even spend a few hundred bucks to have a native  English-speaker proof-read their ads.  Attention to detail and the avoidance of corner-cutting is something that I value. 
It is so easy for a foreign business to change names and skip support. Even if not, mailing a 50lb amp back to the factory in Asia can get very expensive and risky.

I build, rehab, and tweak tube gear when I have time and the mood strikes me.
The 4040 microprocessor is where my "formal" education in electronics ended.   ;D

I like tubes, they're warm and have a slightly toxic smell that reminds me of my youth in the shadows of New Jersey factories.   ;D

If there is no support network for your gear, be prepared to support it yourself !
Hence JoLida, ASL, and a handful of others are the safer choices when buying Chinese tube gear.

BTW, SMD's are for robots or at least steady hands and magnifying glasses.
It helps to keep one of these in the toolbox:

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 08:35:06 AM »
maybe its just that I suck at the internets, but I've been unable to find the answers to some (what I think are) simple questions about my ASL amp...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 04:25:58 PM »
maybe its just that I suck at the internets, but I've been unable to find the answers to some (what I think are) simple questions about my ASL amp...

Ask away, if it's a 1001, I have a schematic and a parts contact.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »
One thing is certain, I am in no way amused at foreign interests that won't even spend a few hundred bucks to have a native  English-speaker proof-read their ads. 

QFT, it's hard to take some high-dollar products seriously when they can't even get their advertising correct.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 04:55:08 PM »
QFT, it's hard to take some high-dollar products seriously when they can't even get their advertising correct.

Who's that in your avitar?

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 05:07:12 PM »
Who's that in your avitar?

Eva Longoria, from Desp. Housewives.  She's from San Antonio & is dating Tony Parker from the soon-to-again-be-world-champions Spurs.   :)   

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 05:39:49 PM »
Guess I need to start watching more TV ;-)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2005, 06:38:08 PM »

NICE!  It is a 1001 - My first question is does the subwoofer output have a crossover built in, or is it a totally unfilitered signal to the sub, and I need to us the one on my sub?

Thanks and +T
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 08:02:57 PM »

NICE!  It is a 1001 - My first question is does the subwoofer output have a crossover built in, or is it a totally unfilitered signal to the sub, and I need to us the one on my sub?

Thanks and +T

I beleive that it's line-level out. Wants a powered sub.
Unfiltered and uses the roll-off of the Sub or it's DSP (think Velodyne) to match your speaks, I would guess.
Otherwise, it needs some sort of EQ adjustment at the amp.
Since I never saw any, it's likely simply an A+B mono out for a sub at lineLevel.

This is stated without looking at your amp or the schematic to verify.
ASL put out a few 1001s and there may be variants. Also, I want to look at the schematic before I commit to the line-level/unfiltered statement above. 
I guess that you need a manual.......  Post on AudioAsylum.com someone is likely to send you a scan.

I'll e-mail you the schematic when I'm back in the shop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com