Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where to rolloff bass...  (Read 8205 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
Where to rolloff bass...
« on: June 26, 2003, 09:28:11 AM »
Never thought I would ask, and I know Tim will die if he sees this one but the omni setting on the u89s makes for some heavy bass. Where do I rolloff, at the mic rolloff or at the hpf on the v3?

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re:Where to rolloff bass...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 09:34:15 AM »
do you think the v3's rolloff would act weird at all if you're running the 148 in front of it?  I would think that the rolloff in the v3 is more sophisticated than on the mics, but that's just a guess.  

i would probably look at the specs for both the mic rolloff and the v3 to see at what frequency the roll off kicks in.  then open up one of your sets in wavelab or whatever you use and use the eq to try and mimic the rolloff of both units at the frequencies they specify and see which you like best.  other than that, i guess you'd have to do a set by set comparison at a show, which i don't really think is optimal.

-damon

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 01:49:04 PM »
Hey Trey-
At the TAB show at the Fillmore, Tim & I split signal from his U89s.  I ran it into a V3 with the 100 Hz bass rolloff and was very glad I did.  There was still no shortage of bass.  I ran the next set without and wish I had kept it on the whole show.  

The V3 has a 6dB per octave rolloff, which allows for a lot of verstatility for the amount of bass you want to rolloff.  The V3 has rolloff at 50Hz and 100Hz (settings 2 and 1, respectively).
The U89 is also a 6db per octave, but has a different start position at 80Hz and 160Hz.  

If the 100Hz setting on the V3 leaves too little bass for you, turn it off and turn on the setting on the u89.  

Assuming your V3 HPF filters are in the low filter settings, then you have 3 options to work with!

See you at Red Rocks!
Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 02:05:25 PM »
I haven't touched the HPF settings in mine so I assume low as well. So setting it to position 2 starts it at 100 db, and position 1 starts at 50 db? Would I then assume that the position 1 allows for more bass to pass through? Or is vice versa? I won't be at Red Rocks, waiting on a little girl to pop out of my wife's stomach.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 02:12:33 PM »
    I know what you mean Trey...the ak30's sucked it all up too!  If you have the capability...roll it off in SW prior to burning a CD.  Capture it all and then post process.....yah I know a little more work, but at least you can roll to your delight.
    I was transfering the other night at a friends and we went DAT>HD via multiface and then out to a SBD for monitoring.  I put the 75 hz cut and still had to eq the low end some to get it sounding damn fine.  Since you are alread at the HD stage see what your SW has in store...if you need better SW LMK.
    I use Samplitued and it rocks! but the bottom line is any SW that does what you want it to do is ther bomb.
Should have the dead xfr this weekend.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 02:22:48 PM »
Jim

i sent my source off to mike falcon and he has some really good sw and he is gonna hopefully have it sounding outstanding, just wondering about while taping, I think I agree with you greatly about getting it all while recording yet with the omnis I just need more use to see if this is something that is going to continually occur.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 02:26:15 PM »
I haven't touched the HPF settings in mine so I assume low as well. So setting it to position 2 starts it at 100 db, and position 1 starts at 50 db? Would I then assume that the position 1 allows for more bass to pass through? Or is vice versa? I won't be at Red Rocks, waiting on a little girl to pop out of my wife's stomach.

setting 1 at 100 Hz rolls off more bass, ie it attenuates -6db the signals  below 100 Hz

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 02:33:50 PM »
thanks, I messed it above with position 1 and position 2. I think I may try and mess with it on a band that I do like but can try out some different taping situations on.

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 02:57:09 PM »
Trey-
Why don't you just buy a 248?

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 02:58:40 PM »
excellent idea, i think i'll look for one, will i be able to use the schoeps then, hell then everyone will want my tapes!!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 02:59:09 PM by twoodruff »
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 03:16:35 PM »
nobody likes a smartass ;D

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 03:22:14 PM »
yeah william, nobody

No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 03:28:29 PM »
trey...are you mainly running 148>v3 these days?  how's that working out?  i like the neil tapes from bonnaroo, but that's all i've heard so far from that setup.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 03:35:38 PM »
no I mainly run 148>mini me and v3 when I can. The v3 sounds cleaner and brings it closer. If I know the venue is gonna be great sounding, arrange for v3, if not the mini me shines. I like the v3 outdoors, it seems to pull everything in nicer, but a little secret about that neil, its m148>mme, i was informed that today
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Tim

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2003, 03:50:00 PM »
Trey I have an admission.. I have been secretly using the 80hz roll-off on the u89s lately. In some situations you just can't help it! I find the 80hz on the mic to be fine. It also sounds amazing. Might want to do some experimenting with the V3 settings but for me the mic roll-off has veeb just fine.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com