Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava MK-012, Thoughts?  (Read 10074 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Oktava MK-012, Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 06:22:08 AM »
Voltronic is using the Line Audio CM3s as his center pair of mics in his 4 mic array.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gp36bit7bmuc1l6/AABslsUNnclSxblr8EmuhVOZa?dl=0

The CM3 is a wide card.  Has a short body.  Unobtrusive.  Sounds good.  I'm surprised that Voltronic and I appear to be the only guys on TS that have CM3s. 

The Oktava Mk-012 is often mentioned favorably on GS.  Never had the chance to use them myself, but since Cobiwan used to have them and knows what they can do, then Cobiwan ought to be the best judge of whether to re-buy a set.
2manyrocks beat me to the punch. :)  I would urge anyone to try the CM3 before they spend more.  250 euros a pair with shipping from NoHypeAudio, and the euro us pretty low right now so you're looking at about $280 compared to $360 when I bought mine. 

Check out the shootout in the first link of this post, as well as some more varied samples of things I've recorded with the CM3s alone:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172445.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 07:49:41 AM »
Possible downside is the CM3 is a fixed capsule.  The Oktava has interchangeable capsule.  I think they even have a figure 8 available. 

But $280 for a pair of CM3s is a really good deal. 

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 06:04:08 PM »
I'll second (or third) the recommendation on Berliner CM-33s. I have a pair and feel like I would have to spend quite a bit more to get something a lot better. You can probably get them used for around $250 - $300.

Offline dillonbennett

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »
I've got MJE modded MK012's and had LA CM3's which I sold recently.
I did an extensive shoot out between them with the 012 card caps and I found the 012 to have slightly better reach and slightly less noise. But it was a very close call and I do regret parting with the CM3's.
The interchangeable capsules and versatility that comes with that makes the Oktava a great set to have but the handling noise is bad. I still have my LA OM1 omnis - also a lovely little mic - and like the CM3s are small so perfect for stealth taping.

colinw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
Are the modded Avantones the same as the Busman bsc1 set? They certainly seem to look the same, but I am curious if anyone knows if the mod Busman is doing to the Avantones is different than the BSC1 set he offers. I have a set of BSC1s with hypers, cards and omnis and I have been very pleased with the quality in lots of different situations and with different caps, the value for money is great.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
Boltman, can you elaborate on the Busman mod? I checked out his website but the only mods listed are for decks. Is it an electronics upgrade similar to the JME mod? Does he still mod mics that aren't his?

I have long ago lost the exchange with Chris about the mod, but it was an electronics and wiring upgrade.  Perhaps he would chime in here?  He did the mod even though I bought the mics elsewhere.  The mod effectively brought the Avantone's to the level of the Busman BSC-1.  I have been really pleased with the sound.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 08:54:15 PM »
Used to own the Oktava mc012 with the hyper card & omni caps. Great set of mics, alittle loose in the low end, but still good stuff to my ears.

https://archive.org/details/rre2002-08-03.shnf here is an early Railroad Earth show we taped with the omni's, still one of my favs. There is a sdb copy of the same gig up there too ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 12:31:49 AM »
I have the Mk012's with the Michael Jolly mod.  I ran them without the mod and to my ears it is a huge improvement.  I run them straight into the Busman 680 and I am very pleased with the results.  They are great workhorse mics.  I think they are under appreciated concert taping, especially the hypers. I got mine used for 150, paid 220 for the mod and grabbed the hyper and omni caps for 180 each.  I don't have anything posted but I can send a disc.  Or if we are at a show together I would be happy to give you a patch. 
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the offer Barrett
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline dnuggs

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Festivaaaaal!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 12:26:42 PM »
Another happy busman/dorsey modded mk012 owner here ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.354 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com