Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A great recorder on a budget  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
Re:A great recorder on a budget
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 09:21:35 AM »
you could always throw an ad-20 in front of it, couldn't you?
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2004, 11:35:14 AM »
Yes, Lee, that is what I would like to do, but remember I am on pretty tight budget with this--I have only between 200-300 dollars to spend--that money already being spent on the jb3 (though it could still be returned and the money used for something else).
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004, 01:50:53 AM »
you could always throw an ad-20 in front of it, couldn't you?
I like this idea. Don't give up on the jb3 if you haven't tried an external A/D yet.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2004, 03:14:27 PM »
I second the idea to purchase the new Sony Hi MD recorder.  MSRP will range from $250 to $400 when
available in April.  Features include:

* 94 minutes of 16/44 wav recording per disc
* pretty fast upload to computer using USB
* clean analog line input (similar to DR7)
* level meters (not the best, but useful)
* adjustable record levels
* optical SPDIF input

Combine this with minidisc's portability, battery life, and reliability in field conditions, plus the ability to play your current collection of minidiscs, and you have a winning combination.

Sony wants to make the Hi-MD disc format an industry standard, so they will transfer technology to other companies.  I'd expect Hi-MD recorders from Sharp, Aiwa, Panasonic, and the other Japanese manufacturers by summer.

Flintstone

cpclark

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 03:49:13 AM »
sony's always trying to bring there format to the industry standard, i highly doubt with most industry's moving to HD based recorders and the ability to get dat recorders at an affordable price nowadays, coupled with the fact that the high-md discs will be super pricey at 7 dollars a pop, and dats at 2.50, its gonna be hard to change peoples mind on the status quo, just my .02 and this topic has been debated many a times with MD, high-md IMO probably wont change much

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2004, 05:37:49 AM »
I second the idea to purchase the new Sony Hi MD recorder.  MSRP will range from $250 to $400 when

* optical SPDIF input

Combine this with minidisc's portability, battery life, and reliability in field conditions, plus the ability to play your current collection of minidiscs, and you have a winning combination.

Sony wants to make the Hi-MD disc format an industry standard, so they will transfer technology to other companies.  I'd expect Hi-MD recorders from Sharp, Aiwa, Panasonic, and the other Japanese manufacturers by summer.

Flintstone

i still like the DAT format for stealthing. M1/D100 are small enough to go anywhere, and the fact that you can record up to 3hrs non-stop is great.  hopefully the Harddisc recorders' technology will advance to surpass the taping hours and/or higher bit/sampling freq. but for now, i'll stick with a DAT and not deal with changing MDs after 94min. or worry about jolting the unit which (from what i've been told) causes skips and errors.

with lithium AA cells, you can power a M1/D100 for almost 6hrs. plus, you can input analog or digital signals into a DAT w/o any problem.  

a used DAT on the second hand market is very affordable, IMO. the return on investment is better than the tentative Hi MD.

blank DDS grade tapes are quite low these days. i've been purchasing new DDS tapes for around $1.25/ea. so it really hasn't been a price sensitive issue for me.  i just hope that DDS tapes don't become obsolete anytime soon.

my $.031416

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2004, 06:48:44 AM »
i just got a jb3 and will probably never run analog into it.  got the hosa 312 convertor, (thanks ska) aes>optical.  karl, you may want to get the hosa that goes spdif>optical, making patching fairly easy.  the boxes are ~$65.  don't give up on the jb3 yet.  listen to me, haven't even used it in the field yet.  but, others here have been using them a lot and swear by them.  i'll probably only get rid of it, maybe, when the 722 is released as ver.4, once the kinks get ironed out.

yes, flintstone, sony is again forcing a new proprietary product onto the consumer market.  remember, they're not thinking of us when they release new products, they're thinking of little joey in high school, downloading all the brit spears he can get his mouse on.  the feature set looks pretty cool, but i'd hold off a while before jumping into the pool.

my .02   been wrong before, many times

jr

we all live downstream.

BobW

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2004, 08:30:57 AM »

* optical SPDIF input

Flintstone

i still like the DAT format for stealthing. M1/D100 are small enough to go anywhere, and the fact that you can record up to 3hrs non-stop is great.  hopefully the Harddisc recorders' technology will advance to surpass the taping hours and/or higher bit/sampling freq. but for now, i'll stick with a DAT and not deal with changing MDs after 94min. or worry about jolting the unit which (from what i've been told) causes skips and errors.

with lithium AA cells, you can power a M1/D100 for almost 6hrs. plus, you can input analog or digital signals into a DAT w/o any problem.  

a used DAT on the second hand market is very affordable, IMO. the return on investment is better than the tentative Hi MD.

blank DDS grade tapes are quite low these days. i've been purchasing new DDS tapes for around $1.25/ea. so it really hasn't been a price sensitive issue for me.  i just hope that DDS tapes don't become obsolete anytime soon.

my $.031416

marc

Your overcharging yourself
You should've paid:
$.03141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 592307816406286208998628034825.................

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com