Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Low pro advice  (Read 13834 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: Low pro advice
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
To my ears, the naiant IPA and the platinum nbox sound very, very similar. Solid. So I'd guess IPA vs. baby nbox is probably a wash. The deciding factors for me were size and my wish not to run mic in to an M10 with a need for lots of gain.It's a fine recorder but just not sure it's pres are up to snuff. Keep in mind you need an A23 battery for the IPA, it will go 8-10 hours. I do two shows and recycle it. 3.50 for a two pack at Walmart.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 10:32:17 PM »
To my ears, the naiant IPA and the platinum nbox sound very, very similar. Solid. So I'd guess IPA vs. baby nbox is probably a wash. The deciding factors for me were size and my wish not to run mic in to an M10 with a need for lots of gain.It's a fine recorder but just not sure it's pres are up to snuff. Keep in mind you need an A23 battery for the IPA, it will go 8-10 hours. I do two shows and recycle it. 3.50 for a two pack at Walmart.
Very helpful thanks.
I was concerned about running mic in on the M10 with the babynbox depending solely on the m10 pre for gain. It sounds like the inline amplifier on the ipa is like an old attinuator used on small dats to improve the noise floor and reduce hiss due to poor pres in all in one decks.
I also like the secure xlr jacks on the ipa.
The Oade brothers are now doing pre mods on any deck these days (manufacturers warentee voided) so I may mod my m10 pre ae well (still used with line in [ipa] or mic in [babynbox].
Thanks again guys for all the help!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:36:07 PM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »
Which gain setting do you usually use on your ipa?
Thanks a lot!

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:50 PM »
Always -18 and have always had enough gain. For reference, the nbox has 20 db gain, and that also always meets my needs, jazz to loud ass rock. You can order an IPA fixed too. I opted for slotted recessed 9/18/27 gain which should cover it all.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2017, 11:43:25 PM »
Always -18 and have always had enough gain. For reference, the nbox has 20 db gain, and that also always meets my needs, jazz to loud ass rock. You can order an IPA fixed too. I opted for slotted recessed 9/18/27 gain which should cover it all.
I'm going with the ipa for my mbho caps.
I've been wanting a second set of mics at festies for awhile.  Might just pick up some caps and get an ipa for them.

On your ipa was your choice of sloted instead of spindle gain setting for a more secure setting or other reasoning ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:54:49 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2017, 11:15:40 AM »
More secure, it probably didn't matter but I didn't want the spindle moving in my pocket. I opted for both the male xlr and 1/8 outputs the extra size doesn't matter much to me, about an inch. But I believe you can go smaller and opt for just 1/8. Thing is still so small.

Edit: you can get xlr only or xlr and 1/8 but not 1/8 only. It's actually the addition of the 1/8 out that extends the case. You can also get the xlr>1/8'cable from Jon, 15 bucks. Just ask him and he'll direct you to the right option.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:58:48 AM by MakersMarc »

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2017, 12:23:52 PM »
Just so you know, the cables coming out of the Schoeps battery box are as secure as the XLR coming out of the IPA.  I have both.     
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
More secure, it probably didn't matter but I didn't want the spindle moving in my pocket. I opted for both the male xlr and 1/8 outputs the extra size doesn't matter much to me, about an inch. But I believe you can go smaller and opt for just 1/8. Thing is still so small.

Edit: you can get xlr only or xlr and 1/8 but not 1/8 only. It's actually the addition of the 1/8 out that extends the case. You can also get the xlr>1/8'cable from Jon, 15 bucks. Just ask him and he'll direct you to the right option.
"Might as well" get both the xlr and 1/8 stereo outputs just in case.
So the xlr out is a stereo output as is the 1/8. Does jon makes a y cable for the xlr out? Is the xlr in also a stereo in requiring a y xlr cable in. Assuming I can get them from Jon.
Definitely getting the ipa. I need to decide if I should wait for some good caps to come up in the yard sale and get an ipa for them (2nd mic set for festies) or get an ipa for my mbhos.
Thanks for helping me make this decision.

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2017, 12:28:22 PM »
Just so you know, the cables coming out of the Schoeps battery box are as secure as the XLR coming out of the IPA.  I have both.     
Do you have any thoughts on the sound quality between the two?

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
He does make a single stereo xlr>1/8 beyond that you'd have to ask him. Before you order I'd email him and explain your needs, he'll give you the info to input on the ordering page.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2017, 03:45:14 PM »
Do you have any thoughts on the sound quality between the two?

Not yet.

I'm waiting for cables from Nick for the Schoeps battery box.  The IPA and cables just arrived for my JB Modded NAK 300's.  So, different mics and power supplies and pre's. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.162 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com