Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: speakers sub 1k  (Read 7780 times)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Re: speakers sub 1k
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 08:21:20 AM »
Like a lot of other posts have mentioned, audiogon is definitely a good route.  I picked up my Rega RS5's for a grand which is a steal in my opinion.  They sound great with a sub for 2.1 and especially sound fantastic with the right material in 5.1.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

Lft-16

So ugly only tapers and audiofools could live with it!
Have you heard them Noah? I respect Bruce Thigpen's engineering creds and am curious.

I own them!

I found a pair used on audiogon for about $650. For that price, I don't think they can be beat.

They basically sound like big planar speakers in a more normal size. They image very well.

Cool, thanks!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 11:31:30 AM »
I'll second the nod for PSB speakers.  I own some original Alpha's and Century 300i's (both bookshelf speakers) and am currently running some T-45 towers.  The 300's and T-45's I picked up used off ebay and craigslist at crazy good prices and consider them some of my best music-related purchases ever.  I would get the T-55's or T-65's if I could do it over again since I want a bit more low end and the 6-1/2" drivers would probably sound a little fuller than the 5-1/4" drivers.  Might pick up a sub and go the 2.1 route.

I also have some Athena AS-F2.1 towers, also picked up on craigslist, and they pale in comparison to the PSB's.  The Athena's have almost zero mid-range compared to the other speakers.  Even bought a more powerful receiver, HK-3490, because a review on Stereophile said they need a lot of power in order to sound good.  I've held on to them since I'm curious how they would sound w/ a tube amp in case I ever man up and get one.

Here's a good site for PSB stuff:  https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm   The couple of times I emailed them about speakers they even quoted me a lower price than what was listed on their site.  They also sell on ebay and audiogon.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com