Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: offloading data from laptop  (Read 10034 times)

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re:offloading data from laptop
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2003, 02:31:53 PM »
Is NetBeui still available in XP? Man, been so long since I abandoned that protocol. Good for small LANs but nothin' more.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2003, 02:52:45 PM »
Is NetBeui still available in XP? Man, been so long since I abandoned that protocol. Good for small LANs but nothin' more.

Ooooo...didn't think of that one.  Not sure if it's in XP or not.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

DaryanLenz

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2003, 03:53:04 PM »
I will check onthe netbui thing when I get home.  I am sitting in the old apartment relishing the fact that I am not at work for an hour!!!  If I have to do the tcpi thing, does anyone have a link?  I am pretty good with stuff once I read it.  If you do, post it here as I don't have my home e-mail at work.
Thanks guys

D

Offline mirth

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 04:05:14 PM »
Unless you have the crossover cable you will have to buy one or build it (will need crimper, ends).

Googling 'crossover cable pinout' should get you your wire assignments.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

DaryanLenz

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2003, 05:30:58 PM »
That would be great.  Power adapter went in the mail yesterday.  Maybe I will buy a firewire enclosure since I have a firewire card sitting around somewhere.  Thanks guys.  Now, I just have to figure out how to power my lappy and I should be all good. Locally I have ac, but elsewhere, not so much.  Does anyone need a power pad 160?  I need the d model for my lappy and do not want to eat the b model.  I would trade it for a valence if someone just needed the 15 hour batt.

Daryan

Offline Styx Cover Band

• Taperssection Member
  • AKG C1000s>AT CP8201>JB3
    • Bills Trading List
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2003, 06:15:40 PM »
Using a crossover cable is like being hooked up to an intranet. Just make sure you have the file sharing permissions at full and go through network neighborhood to access the computer. The computers do have to be under the same workgroup though
-Bill
When you start a cover band who says Styx?

They say ostrich has less fat, but you eat more of it

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2003, 08:40:10 PM »
I avoid the network neighborhood crap with some IP configuration. Unplug your regular internet connection from both machines (or if you have a 2nd ethernet card in your desktop like me, this doesn't apply). Set the IP on your desktop to 192.168.0.1 and accept whatever other settings it wants to give it. Set the IP on your laptop to 192.168.0.2. Then you can run an FTP server on one machine and a client on the other. With 100-baseT cards and a SHORT Cat5e or better cable, you can transfer an entire show in a few minutes. I would regularly get transfer rates of 10,000 KB/s (gets pretty close to the theoretical maximum of 100-baseT).

Ask if you have more questions.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

DaryanLenz

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2003, 08:51:54 PM »
Just one queswtion.  Is a cat5e cable the same as the one I use with my cable modem?  Not too sure about this stuff.

Then I would just reconf the ip on my desktop, how do I do that?

Daryan

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 09:17:27 PM »
5 or 5e is likely what you'd use with your cable modem. 5 is spec'd for 10 baseT while 5e is for 100.

To reconfig your desktop IP, go into Start>Settings>Network and Dial-up Connections.
Right click your connection and view properties.
Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list (you may have to scroll to see it) and click the properties button.
Click the radio button for "use the following IP address" and type in 192.168 ... that I posted above. Make sure you do NOT give your two machines the same address.
Connect cable, FTP away.
To set back, repeat the above but click the radio button for "obtain an IP address automatically."

*NOTE: if you have some custom IP configuration already set up - i.e. the "use the following IP address" button is checked, do not mess with this unless you know what you're doing.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline mirth

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2003, 11:45:57 PM »
Short being less than the 100 meter max segment length in the ethernet RFC...

CAT 3 is spec'ed for 10Mbps, CAT 5 for 100, and CAT5e and higher for Gigabit over Ethernet.

Running a FTP server on one and client on the other will work, so will setting up general File sharing. The only reason why machines have to be in the same workgroup is for ease of use of Network Neighborhood (My Network Places under 2000/XP).
You can just as easily browse a machine by using it's UNC path. eg: \\<machine IP address>\share_name

Enjoy the wonderful world of Windows file sharing! Be sure to disable any firewalls on these machines or it may not work...

DaryanLenz

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2003, 08:32:58 AM »
Thanks guys, I am pretty good with the el computer, so I don't think I will have any trouble doing this.  Thanks again gentlemen.

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com