Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alto Mixer  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Alto Mixer
« on: March 24, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »
I originally posted this in the recording forum, but I think it should be here.

Does anyone have any experience with the Alto ZMX862 mixer, or any other Alto mixer in the same series, I've been searching the web for reviews, but can't find anything.

I'm particularly interested in the quality of the mic preamps.

Jon.
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Alto Mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
Alto consoles are As cheap as they come.  Mic preamps are dull and noisy.  The whole signal path is noisy.  Build quality is very questionable and their power supplies are known for dying.  The only good alto product that I've used were the 4 channel 2RU power amps.  lots of clean power in a very small package.  I would definitely avoid their consoles for any serious recording projects. 
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
Thank's Patrick,

I'm using a borrowed one at the moment, and I must say that I'm finding it quite good for what I'm using it for, (Amateur video voice-over and sound effects).

The mic pre's don't seem too noisy, even with a dynamic mic, unless you turn the gain right up to the top, and build quality seems reasonable for the price.

Is your experience with the older series of Alto ?, The ZMX series seem to be made in mid 2011, after Alto were aquired by Newmark , who also own Alesis and Akai Professional.

The power supply seems to be a transformer type, not switched mode like many, and hardly gets warm after many hours of use.

I'm gathering other opinions before making the decision to buy one for myself, they are certainly cheap at £50.

Jon
Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »
I suppose I haven't used the new alto gear.  I'm not sure of what the product line was called but it was some seriously junky gear when I was using it about 2-3 years ago.  I also was using this mainly in a live sound situation and their gear was definitely not built for being moved around constantly.  But their prices are very cheap so it's not a huge investment to have one of their mixers around just in case.

Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com