Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Possible Header problem, trying to open a file from last night  (Read 5027 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Possible Header problem, trying to open a file from last night
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »
OK, so here is the rundown.  I got a slow card error last night on the r-44 during set 2.  The shutdown was not smooth as the r-44 was locking up.  Now, the data will not play nor will it transfer.  However, I have the 4 tracks (2 stereo tracks).  One is 656mb and the other 657mb.  They were recorded in 24/44.1

Now when I try to open the files in wavelab, the first preview it played briefly.  When I opened the file it took awhile and it was just sampling the same 2sec over and over.  I closed and tried to reopen and wavelab says it is an unknown file, 16bit, 0.0khz.

So, How do I get the computer to recognize the files? 

oh, and to clarify, I was trying to open the tracks from the r-44 that is hooked up to the computer via usb.  The file will not transfer. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:31:02 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
Re: Possible Header problem, trying to open a file from last night
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »

Run a windows scandisk on the drive/card and have it fix errors etc. Check both boxes.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »

Run a windows scandisk on the drive/card and have it fix errors etc. Check both boxes.

so, been a looooong time.  Right click on the drive, properties>scandisk?

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Have you tried to open the files in CDWave?
I had a similar problem after a show the other night, in a rush to get my gear from the main room to the lobby where another band was going to play, I unplugged my r-44 before stopping the recording. Couldn't transfer either file...however ch3&4 I was able to open in CDWave and save to my computer with the fixed header.
Ch1&2 I was not able to recover by any method, CDWave, Audacity(raw import), Wavelab, Audiohack, pigiron's Fixwav, and a few other recovery programs just as an attempt to get them onto my computer for later retrieval. 1&2 are gone for good because I ran out of time before I had to go record over that particular card.

If mmedley's method doesn't help, Stellar Phoenix(sp?) is a pretty good recovery program. I believe I would have been able to retrieve 1&2 if my evaluation period hadn't ended...and I decided those 2ch's weren't worth the $99 dollars for the full version. You still may have problems with the headers, but that should allow you to get them on your cpu for a later fix.

Also just curious as I haven't tried myself but...have you been able to load 'good' files into Wavelab directly from the R-44? I only ask because it's usb speed seems a touch slow, I've got a little sdhc reader that blows it out of the water as far as transfer speed goes.

Good luck...let us know if you find a method of recovery...by the way, for info purposes, what brand/speed/size card did this happen with?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:16:16 PM »
I had a similar problem after a show the other night, in a rush to get my gear from the main room to the lobby where another band was going to play, I unplugged my r-44 before stopping the recording. Couldn't transfer either file...however ch3&4 I was able to open in CDWave and save to my computer with the fixed header.
Ch1&2 I was not able to recover by any method, CDWave, Audacity(raw import), Wavelab, Audiohack, pigiron's Fixwav, and a few other recovery programs just as an attempt to get them onto my computer for later retrieval. 1&2 are gone for good because I ran out of time before I had to go record over that particular card.

If mmedley's method doesn't help, Stellar Phoenix(sp?) is a pretty good recovery program. I believe I would have been able to retrieve 1&2 if my evaluation period hadn't ended...and I decided those 2ch's weren't worth the $99 dollars for the full version. You still may have problems with the headers, but that should allow you to get them on your cpu for a later fix.

Also just curious as I haven't tried myself but...have you been able to load 'good' files into Wavelab directly from the R-44? I only ask because it's usb speed seems a touch slow, I've got a little sdhc reader that blows it out of the water as far as transfer speed goes.

Good luck...let us know if you find a method of recovery...by the way, for info purposes, what brand/speed/size card did this happen with?

I'll try these.

Using an A-data 8g card.  Never had any issues with it in the 6 months I've owned the unit.  THis was a first and I've run this sucker 4 channels all day at festi's with zero problems from this card or others. 

stirinthesauce

Re: Possible Header problem, trying to open a file from last night FIXED
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:33:43 PM »
Thanks Martin and Buster

Martin's method worked for the transfer, Buster's to get the files to play nice.

tees in 12

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »

Worked perfectly....highly recommended, try this first.

THANKS

capn
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com