Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FTP Question...  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
FTP Question...
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:39:48 AM »
I have a seedbox which I access via FTP.

I can't seem to DELETE files from the server via FTP from my laptop connected to my work network, but if I remote into my home computer (from work) I can delete anything I want.

The error I get on my laptop when I request to delete a file via FTP is: 550 Security server forbids that action on this file.

Is it possible this is something that is locked down on my work network? Or do I possibly have something set up wrong on my FTP client on my laptop?

I am using Filezilla both at work on my laptop and at home.

Not a huge deal because I can just remote into my desktop at home, but occasionally that doesn't work (like if the power is out at my house), so I wouldn't mind fixing this if possible.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline sacchini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: FTP Question...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:53:31 AM »
I have a seedbox which I access via FTP.

I can't seem to DELETE files from the server via FTP from my laptop connected to my work network, but if I remote into my home computer (from work) I can delete anything I want.

The error I get on my laptop when I request to delete a file via FTP is: 550 Security server forbids that action on this file.

Is it possible this is something that is locked down on my work network? Or do I possibly have something set up wrong on my FTP client on my laptop?

I am using Filezilla both at work on my laptop and at home.

Not a huge deal because I can just remote into my desktop at home, but occasionally that doesn't work (like if the power is out at my house), so I wouldn't mind fixing this if possible.

I'm not able to answer your question but, as a Filezilla user myself too, I'd like to point out to you the following news:

2014-01-28 - Advisory: Malware downloads on third-party websites

As recently published on the avast! blog, modified versions of FileZilla tainted with malware are being distributed on some third-party websites.

This is by no means a new threat. While this instance is one of the largest to date, there have been many cases of modified versions spreading malware hosted on third-party websites for over a decade. We do not condone these actions and are taking measures to get the known offenders removed. Note that we cannot in general prevent tainted versions on third-party websites or proof their authenticity, especially since the FileZilla Project promotes beneficial redistribution and modifications of FileZilla in the spirit of free open source software and the GNU General Public License.

To avoid any risk when downloading FileZilla, we recommend that you only download FileZilla from the official FileZilla website or from SourceForge, the official download partner of FileZilla and many other open source projects.

To check the authenticity of your version of FileZilla, the SHA-512 hash of the unmodified FileZilla_3.7.3_win32-setup.exe is f56716044dcf1239d09343d11422b26230fb14419a4e85b702a03080550bc9e69e1c7ec22312874701de54c1ed4085e0f468d93d4993b36eabd704406b3567ff

In case you no longer have the installer, the the SHA-512 hash of the installed filezilla.exe in version 3.7.3 is d6d68f564295a878ba6cdf1d79cc90b4cff4fb98177bf5aac0eb22ad3757f8997e2de718e290eb97520892d04a8d2388bb2bcb71b785d05c2b59b037abf6d28f

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »
Check th account you login as and password. Maybe using different account or doing anonymous FTP and then you can't delete? Sounds like what's happening to me.

Or, does the seed box provide any sort of security tied to the computer you login from? Kind of like banks do these days maybe you need to authorize the work computer ( really the source IP they NAT you to probably) to allow admin/write access?

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »
i suggest sftp access via cli and see if the same message occurs.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:09:40 PM »
i suggest sftp access via cli and see if the same message occurs.

Tried both SFTP and regular FTP. I'm not too good at command line, and honestly it's not that big of a deal.

I think my main question is: Can my Sys Admin control the delete FTP command? I would think that they could block FTP completely or allow it completely, but not allow some commands and dis-allow others (especially via SFTP). I can log into the FTP server so I know they don't block it.

Should I try a different client? For both my home desktop and my laptop I use at work (I own it), I simply downloaded Filezilla and installed it. Didn't change any settings in either other than the log in settings my seedbox provider gave me.

Also regarding a Malware version of Filezilla, I 100% downloaded it from the official site. So unless someone got into their system I think I'm safe.

Thanks for the answers so far. Again, not a huge deal. I'd really like to use it as a learning experience rather than NEED to get it to work.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline pjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 01:49:38 PM »
If you right-click the files in FileZilla, does it let you modify the Read/Write/Excecute flags? 550 indicates Read and Execute, but no Write, which is needed to delete.
Schoeps MK4 > Tinybox v2 / Nbox > Edirol R-44 / R-09hr

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:56:08 PM »
If you right-click the files in FileZilla, does it let you modify the Read/Write/Excecute flags? 550 indicates Read and Execute, but no Write, which is needed to delete.

Not at work today, but my home computer looks like that might be the solution. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com