Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cool Edit Pro or Audition 3.0 run on win8?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Cool Edit Pro or Audition 3.0 run on win8?
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:22:38 PM »
Logging into my computer tonight I just received a message from Microsoft saying 4/8/2014 XP support ends.

I don't need to upgrade any of my machines - they are just fine - BUT - because Microsoft is a great target of security vulnerabilities they are saying I gotta upgrade to either new high cost OS software (which may or may not work properly on these AMD CPU boxes) or buy new computers.

I'm kinda just saying the heck with it and get a friggin Apple machine. Thing is - I've been using Cool Edit Pro and Audition as my audio editors for awhile now. I've already found that my old version of Wavelab doesn't install on my machines - which is why I changed. Any input on whether Audition or Cool Edit is compatible with 8.1?

If I have to buy a new machine and new software that's one thing but I do not want to be beholden to whether or not Microsoft s going to require upgrades at their exorbitant prices.

If anyone has Apple audio editing software recommendations, thanks for any info you can provide.

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Cool Edit Pro or Audition 3.0 run on win8?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »
It doesn't answer your question, but Soundforge for example is NOT fully compatible with Windows 8.   It appears to work, but the "unlimited" edits feature doesn't, and after a while whatever you do results in a cut, regardless of what commands you use.  If your brain is in autopilot mode you can miss this.  Hope this makes sense.  I reverted to Windows 7 and at the moment it is the way to go, in my opinion. 

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:21:35 PM »
It doesn't answer your question, but Soundforge for example is NOT fully compatible with Windows 8.   It appears to work, but the "unlimited" edits feature doesn't, and after a while whatever you do results in a cut, regardless of what commands you use.  If your brain is in autopilot mode you can miss this.  Hope this makes sense.  I reverted to Windows 7 and at the moment it is the way to go, in my opinion.

I'd agree.  W7 is the better choice if you have to move to a new platform.  W8 (and 8.1 for that matter) are not things I'm sold on _unless_ I'm running them on a tablet such as the ASUS Transformer Book (where it has 2GB of ram and W8.1 excels in that environment).  That said, even older boxes can run W7 in its most basic (stripped down) mode.   

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:03:47 AM »
I'd not upgrade just because they say you have to.  If you do buy something new you could keep the old workstation/s as a dedicated audio one. 

CEP (at least the portable version) will not run on Win 7.  Audition 3 will run on Win 7.  That's what I used on my newer system.  As above IMO Win 8 is not ready for prime time yet. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:28:42 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:39:30 PM »
CEP (at least the free portable one) will not run on Win 7.  Audition 3 will run on Win 7.
Since when was CEP portable...or free?
CEP2.1 runs OK on my Win7 x64 system (alongside AA3 and AA CS6). Only issue found was that CEP didn't detect my Plextor burner - and I've never yet got round to investigating the reason.

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:38 PM »
I'm not going to go so far as to recommend Windows 8, but on my 4 months old new laptop, the difference between v8.1 and v8 is night and day.  I don't like the native v8.1 interface, but on my machine v8.1 is a stable operating system.  The interface has mostly become a non-issue for me since I've installed some free software that makes it look and act like a Windows 7 machine.

By the way, the initial release of Windows 8.0 was total garbage...crashes and lockups everywhere no matter what I was working on.  If anyone is still using v8.0, upgrade to v8.1 immediately!

I don't have any trouble running Audition 3.0 on v8.1, though there's a repeatable bug in Audition 3.0 that crashes Audition in both XP and v8.1, so the issue seems Audition 3.0 related and doesn't seems OS dependent.   When I'm in edit view and go to the graphical EQ tool and try to listen to a sound sample with and without EQ, then if I try to X out of that tool and return back to my original file, Audition 3.0 crashes nearly 100% of the time in either XP or v8.1.  It's not a disaster though because when I re-start Audition, I can usually restore back to the pre-crash point...no work is lost.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:56:16 AM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com