Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Parallel Buss Processing  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
Parallel Buss Processing
« on: April 12, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
A few months back I did a SBD/AUD matrix for some friends' band that ended up being considered for physical release, but I had trouble getting the mix right. I sent it to an engineer friend to mix, was very happy with what he did, and asked him to tell me what he'd done with it. He sent an email detailing what he refers to as "parallel buss processing." I started experimenting with it on my own, and have been very pleased with the results. I know my friend didn't invent it, but as I hadn't seen this discussed here, I thought I'd make a post in case anyone's interested.

I've been doing this in Reaper (because the price is right), but you could do it in any multitrack DAW. The idea is to route your mix to four separate busses: an "untouched"/raw buss, a "lows" buss, a "mids" buss, and a "highs" buss. Then fading these busses for broad tonal control, and also to build up loudness from the bottom without actually using a compressor (I also then route the resulting mix through a compressor on the master channel, but you don't have to if it's not needed of course).

- I setup Reaper with a (stereo) track for my SBD  file and one for the AUD file. Then create four more tracks, naming them "Unprocessed", "Lows", "Mids", and "Highs" respectively.

- Opening the Routing Matrix, I route the SBD and AUD tracks to each of those four busses, but -not- to the Master track.

- Route the four busses to the Master

- The "Unprocessed" buss is left alone

- For the "Lows" buss, I add a low-pass EQ, followed by a bit of compression. When the Lows buss is solo'd, you only hear low end.

- For the Mids buss, I add both a low-pass and high-pass in EQ, so that only the midrange comes through when this buss is solo'd. My friend who told me about this adds a bit of a distortion plugin to the Mids as well, but I haven't had a chance to talk with him about the reasoning for that yet.

- For the Highs buss, run a high-pass EQ, so that only highs come through when this is solo'd. I also add a little bit of an exciter after that for a little bit more sparkle.

- I run a compressor on the Master track, and set it at this point in the process with just the Unprocessed buss playing.
- All of the above can be setup as a template, so you don't have to set it up each time.

- Now I solo the SBD and AUD tracks one at a time and do any EQ necessary on their individual tracks. Generally speaking I don't have to do anything to the SBD, and I need to flatten out the lows and a little low-mids on the AUD most of the time (this will depend on your rig, the mix, the room, etc. of course).

- At this point the Lows, Mids, and Highs busses are all pulled down to silent, and the Unprocessed fader is at 0/default.

- I adjust the SBD and AUD faders until I like the balance between the two.

- Starting with the Lows buss, I fade it up a bit until I see some activity in that fader's level meter.

- Moving on to the Mids, I fade that up until it starts to balance better against the Unprocessed and Lows, then do the same with the Highs buss.

- Now I play through the show and tweak the faders as I listen, like adjusting a 3-band EQ. When I'm happy with it I render it out, and later move on to Wavelab for a mastering stage where I bring up the loudness a bit more, do any notching EQ necessary, and dither.

Even when I only run AUD I go through this "mix" stage in Reaper. I've been getting better and easier tonal control, and can build up the quieter sections easily as well.

Any thoughts?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Parallel Buss Processing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
Interesting, it's like doing multi-band EQ on your parallel comp, with better control.

And yes, I've added distortion (mostly transformer or tube sims) on those sub tracks for soundstage alteration. It's one of those things that you play by ear, but there are certain frequency bands/instruments that just fair better with a dash of salt.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
Interesting. Will have to give this a try. Thanks!
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
This process is quite a bit simpler if you get a multiband compressor plug.
Would you mind detailing that a bit?

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
A multiband is a multiple bandpass filter followed by dynamic and/or static gain change in each band.  There is usually also a wet/dry mix either in the band or for the whole plug.  The advantage is you don't need to split the track in four or five pieces, and when you make changes to the bandpass frequency you only have to adjust that in one place.

I use the UAD stuff but that's because I've had it for a zillion years now (I have UAD-1s).  There is probably freeware out there that works fine, it's resource intensive but otherwise not complicated to code.  I could write one if I had a couple of weeks free (which I don't).
Makes sense, thanks. The only multiband I've used is the LinMB which I don't think has a wet/dry.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:00:42 AM »
I should've mentioned that the template makes what I've been doing pretty simple. It's ready to go so I only invest however much time I need for listening.

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
Do you have any samples of raw vs processed that you could share?  Curious about the improvement.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
Do you have any samples of raw vs processed that you could share?  Curious about the improvement.

Yes, will post tonight.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
This is AUD only (KM184>DR-680). I spent less than 5 minutes on it during lunch, so this isn't necessarily finished and I haven't had time to listen critically. But it's a quick-and-dirty example.

http://www.southernshelter.com/taperssection/unprocessed.mp3

http://www.southernshelter.com/taperssection/processed.mp3

http://www.southernshelter.com/taperssection/unprocessed.flac

http://www.southernshelter.com/taperssection/processed.flac

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »
Cool.  I like the improvement.  It brightened it up and the vocals were more clear.  I'll try and follow yours and Jon's description and give it a try in reaper.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37:08 AM »
If you get one of the multiband comp plugs you need to resist the temptation to use all of the bands.  Maybe comp in two, eq in the others, but if you crush every band bad things usually ensue.  One ME I used to chat with thought that people ought to need a license to use them  :o
I did some searching a while back about which MB plugins were the most popular, and the majority of the advice given was "DON'T USE ONE!"  ;D  But the reasoning was generally that if it needed a multiband you should be asking for a remix instead, which of course doesn't apply to what we're doing here.

DF81

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 02:10:54 AM »
I use multi band compressor with Logic.  Usually soft, expanded mp, linear medium, hyped multi band etc.  Maybe a little eq.

Recently I installed the new OSX Mac operating system (from scratch), and now all those particular settings are gone (I rarely use the others).  I've recovered some of them from saved sessions.

If anyone who uses logic happens to have the settings info for the 'soft' multi pressor I would appreciate you sending me a message.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:15:25 AM by DF81 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com