Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 with the ToddR Juicebox  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UA-5 with the ToddR Juicebox
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 03:01:54 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. Can't change the polarity on that type of cable.  Sorry, can't tell from a pic what size the plug you need is.  Bring the battery in when you go to RS, but I'm betting B.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 12:07:35 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. Can't change the polarity on that type of cable.  Sorry, can't tell from a pic what size the plug you need is.  Bring the battery in when you go to RS, but I'm betting B.

Ok, no big deal.  I can go back to Radio Shack and get the adapters and replacement cable today.

As far as getting the correct end for the battery... there's more to it than just making it fit right?  I'm looking at the diagram for the B plug on Radio Shack's website and it has the same side-notches that the battery-end of my cable (image) so I'm pretty sure it will work, but Radio Shack has dozens of these lil' guys.  Don't want to plug in the wrong one and shock the crap out of the battery.

As far as reversing the polarity for the plug ("M", right?) that goes into the UA-5, that should be as simple as putting the adaptaplug on the two-prong cable in a reversed fashion, right?  I"m guessing each prong has its own current so if I put the adaptaplug on the cable backwards, the polarity will reverse.  At least that's my understanding of basic electronics.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 12:23:45 PM »
As long as it fits, you should be good.  Sizes M and N are somewhat hard to tell apart (both M and N size plugs will fit in a size N socket, but a M in an N socket will only work intermittently.  N won't fit in a M socket though.)  But there are any close but not quite there alternatives for the smaller plug size on the battery.  So if it fits, it's good.

Yep, just reverse the tip in the socket to reverse polarity.  In fact, the cable might have a "+" on one side of the socket and a "-" on the other, and the adaptaplug will be labelled with a "tip".  Line up the "tip" to the "-" and you'll have center-negative polarity like the UA5 needs.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »
Yep, just reverse the tip in the socket to reverse polarity.  In fact, the cable might have a "+" on one side of the socket and a "-" on the other, and the adaptaplug will be labelled with a "tip".  Line up the "tip" to the "-" and you'll have center-negative polarity like the UA5 needs.

Thanks for the reassuring walkthrough.  I'll go back to Radio Shack today and get these cables and if it all works out... I'll get another to work with my MT and the Juicebox (which I'm sure will be a whole different hornets nest of adaptaplugs and whatnot).

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 07:50:22 PM »
Also, one more bump for this quick question:

If I'm reversing the polarity for the UA-5's M adaptaplug (Tip = Neg, Blank = Pos), then the battery's end should be Tip = Pos and Blank = Neg, right?  That should be the regular setup I imagine.

EDIT: plugged it all in and it powered on just dandy.  I'm going to let it run and drain the battery just to make sure.

Thanks for the help ToddR! You're the man!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 12:41:25 AM by mojomonkee »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com