Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108516 times)

Offline heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »
Curious if the CGSecurity 'testdisk' tool would find anything?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »

No luck recovering my lost files but at least this is encouraging - got an email from B and H related to the following review that I left on the Marantz 706 product page.

Here's the review -

Lots of features for the price - and a big glitch  4 stars out of 5

I use this machine for recording music in the field. First impressions - nice feature set, good in/out options, adequate build quality, easy to power, preamps sound good.

Now for the bad news - if you lose power (in my case the USB connection for the external battery came loose and it drained the AAs I had in for a backup) the file in progress will vanish. No recoverable data on the card. No file with a 0byte incomplete header like just about every other recorder on the market. Nothing.

I contacted Marantz Professional support after my incident in hopes to recover the 1h:20m of the concert I had been recording and was told quote - "that's the way it works - lose power lose files". Tested at home under same conditions and same results. No files.

Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update.

Otherwise make sure you have a good fit for the USB cable for your external battery (I was using the supplied cable but not anymore) and fresh AAs in addition to checking the battery icon (it will show which power source - USB disconnect automatically defaults to internal batteries) to ensure you have plenty of power.

And the email from the B and H Product Review Team -

The B&H Product Review Team took notice of your recent review describing the issues you experienced with the Marantz Professional 6-Channel DSLR Recorder with up to 96 kHz/24-Bit Resolution (Review # 99253217) and brought it to the attention of Marantz. Like B&H Photo, the overwhelming majority of our suppliers truly care about customer satisfaction with their products. To this end, Marantz has asked me to reach out to you, as they would like to let you know that they will have a firmware update soon to correct the auto-save feature.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »
If you want to send me the card, I can try to recover them.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »
If you want to send me the card, I can try to recover them.

Thanks but I already formatted it. It was an incomplete recording anyway. I still have the 80 minutes of video with the SBD audio on it so I'll start working on that instead.

Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »
To this end, Marantz has asked me to reach out to you, as they would like to let you know that they will have a firmware update soon to correct the auto-save feature.

Thanks for all your early efforts with this recorder.  I'm curious to see if this firmware resolves the issue when they finally get it to you.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
To this end, Marantz has asked me to reach out to you, as they would like to let you know that they will have a firmware update soon to correct the auto-save feature.

Thanks for all your early efforts with this recorder.  I'm curious to see if this firmware resolves the issue when they finally get it to you.

We will see. Haven't heard anything yet but companies typically wait to hear about more than one bug before releasing a firmware update and this recorder hasn't been out all that long. I need to take a look at some of the film/videographer forums and see if anyone else is using it.

Had a successful run with it last week for some friends from St Louis who came through town - the Mighty Pines - recorded stage lip and while the band wasn't super loud the recorder held up just fine input level wise running about half way on the gain knob mic in on LOW about 6 or 8 feet from the drum kit and bass amp. Was going to take a 1/4 out of the SBD and realized that the included shorty cables are 1/4 to XLR female (for converting XLR to balanced TRS for the 5/6 inputs) so that wasn't going to work without a set of turnarounds - which I always carried when I ran FOH but not nowadays.

Found a USB cable that fits really well so I'm not nearly as apprehensive about power dropout as I was. Still pretty rubbed about the NYE show - Split Lip Rayfield in their hometown Lawrence KS - getting scrubbed but oh well.

Taking it out again on Saturday for Jeff Austin Band. Never been to the venue so I don't know about a board patch but if I do I'll try to get an XLR out and run it to the 5/6 channels which I haven't used yet...

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2018, 03:20:39 PM »

We will see. Haven't heard anything yet but companies typically wait to hear about more than one bug before releasing a firmware update and this recorder hasn't been out all that long. I need to take a look at some of the film/videographer forums and see if anyone else is using it.

Had a successful run with it last week for some friends from St Louis who came through town - the Mighty Pines - recorded stage lip and while the band wasn't super loud the recorder held up just fine input level wise running about half way on the gain knob mic in on LOW about 6 or 8 feet from the drum kit and bass amp. Was going to take a 1/4 out of the SBD and realized that the included shorty cables are 1/4 to XLR female (for converting XLR to balanced TRS for the 5/6 inputs) so that wasn't going to work without a set of turnarounds - which I always carried when I ran FOH but not nowadays.

Found a USB cable that fits really well so I'm not nearly as apprehensive about power dropout as I was. Still pretty rubbed about the NYE show - Split Lip Rayfield in their hometown Lawrence KS - getting scrubbed but oh well.

Taking it out again on Saturday for Jeff Austin Band. Never been to the venue so I don't know about a board patch but if I do I'll try to get an XLR out and run it to the 5/6 channels which I haven't used yet...

Interested in how the 5/6 input handles a board feed because, in my mind anyway, that's where I'd plan to put the board feed as 1/2 and 3/4 would be external mics options).   I realize it'll probably be another 2-4 weeks before a firmware upgrade gets released but that's my one hold out for _not_ getting the deck.  Right now, and this is OT, I'm kinda stuck with two options - I can get a DR70-D locally with a Stingray bag for about $80 less than buying the deck new and paying import duties/taxes from B&H.  If I "workaround that", the prices are close but I think the Marantz seems to be quieter and a better deck than the Tascam so...
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2018, 09:10:25 AM »
Had a good run with the 706 for Jeff Austin Band on Saturday and used some features I hadn't previously. Ran mics in 1/2 line in from my Aerco MP2 - SBD XLR in to 3/4 - sent a line out to another taper - sent the camera out to my video camera.

Set a 30 ms delay on the SBD feed to match up to the mics. When I got home both stereo files were spot on lined up even though I was guessing - walked off the distance in yards.

Sent a mix to the line out for the other taper - thus the delay on the SBD feed. You can adjust the line out level while recording. It was really easy to set up the mix and adjust the levels on the fly.

Ran the deck from a 6000mAh USB battery. Didn't even use half of the battery recording 4 channels - no P48 - and powering two outputs for almost 4 hours of record time. This thing is very efficient. Still had juice left after listening to the recording in the car on the way home next day...

I was going to run the SBD feed into the 5/6 channels but I had a group of total dbags right in front of me yacking it up all night. I knew I was going to rely heavily on the SBD feed in the final mix and didn't want to risk adding a potential point of failure (ie untested 1/4 to XLR adapter cables). Turns out I was right - the jagoffs right in front of me were some of the worst I've ever encountered.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:21:45 AM by goodcooker »

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
^How was the show...  I might see em this week.  Not sure though.
Glad the 706 is working well...  looks like a sweet deck!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »
^How was the show...  I might see em this week.  Not sure though.
Glad the 706 is working well...  looks like a sweet deck!

Really really good. Jeff has really found his place after leaving Yonder. The band was on fire. Had an opener and still played two sets - 1 hr first set - 1 hr 20 min second. According to some friends the show the night before in St Louis was jamming too.

After my initial letdown about power loss and file saving I have gotten over it and really like this deck. I've gotten spoiled not having to change AAs and wondering if I have enough media to cover the show....things are a lot easier than when I first started.

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2018, 09:43:51 PM »
"lose power, lose files", you mean, if the AA's inside got empty, the files that were being recorded get lost? it does not stop before they get empty?

how exactly this "lose power" is happening?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »
Had a good run with the 706 for Jeff Austin Band on Saturday and used some features I hadn't previously. Ran mics in 1/2 line in from my Aerco MP2 - SBD XLR in to 3/4 - sent a line out to another taper - sent the camera out to my video camera.

I'm guessing you have to set the gain out to your camera in the menu?  How easy is this to do on the 706 vs the 70d?  I have a friend that needs a better audio setup for his video stream...was going to suggest 60d, but the extra channels on the 706 could be helpful to his situation. 

And...can you gang pairs of channels?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:29:41 PM by 2manyrocks »

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »

I'm guessing you have to set the gain out to your camera in the menu?  How easy is this to do on the 706 vs the 70d?  I have a friend that needs a better audio setup for his video stream...was going to suggest 60d, but the extra channels on the 706 could be helpful to his situation. 

And...can you gang pairs of channels?

Yes - the camera output gain is controlled in the menu - on the DR60 it's controlled on a recessed wheel on the side of the deck. Don't think the DR70 has a camera out - you would have to use the line out which is also menu controlled.

You can gang channels in any configuration. You can pick any of the 6 inputs and assign them to a group. I have mine setup for stereo pairs - so the knob for 1 controls 1/2 - the knob for 3 controls 3/4 and the knob for 5 controls 5/6. You can gang any channel into any group and use the lowest number channel knob to control the group.

"lose power, lose files", you mean, if the AA's inside got empty, the files that were being recorded get lost? it does not stop before they get empty?
how exactly this "lose power" is happening?

The cable for the external battery came loose and the internal AAs ran out - shuts down with file in progress not saved. They are working on a firmware fix. We shall see.

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2018, 09:49:24 AM »
The cable for the external battery came loose and the internal AAs ran out - shuts down with file in progress not saved. They are working on a firmware fix. We shall see.

WHAT?? so if you don't stop recording before batteries run out, you lose the files? that's insane.

you have to worry about running out of juice, and besides that, stop recording before empty or you may lose you recordings??? jesus...

I'm gonna test my DR-70D to see what happens when running out of power.. and if files on the card are recoverable if power cut out abruptly.  :o

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »
It's not the first recorder to lose files if the power goes off before shut down.  I think this has happened with some other recorders and been later fixed in firmware.

I think it's pretty cool that you can gang 3 pairs of channels in a deck this small. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com