Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: possible to use Zoom H2 as external mic for Canon HV20? for live music purposes  (Read 2500 times)

Offline ozarkbilly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
I'm curious about this.  The H2 internal mics seem to do a decent job considering the price point and convenience factor.  I'm assuming they would sound better than the HV20 onboard mics for loud-ish sources.  It would sort of kill two birds with one stone (having a recorder for audio-only purposes as well) and would eliminate the need to sync the aud & vid in post I'm guessing.  Any input? 

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I've not tried it but I assume you could just connect the 3.5mm headphone monitoring output from the H2 into the mic input of the HV20. Hit the record button once to put in 'record stand-by' mode and the 3.5mm output should activate.

EDIT: Make sure you set the levels on the cam manually, AGC will probably make a total mess of it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:23:16 PM by tailschao »

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
I have used a pre-amp as well but found its easier to just use my Edirol R09, rcord audio separately and dub my video

hey tailschao!

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
I've not tried it but I assume you could just connect the 3.5mm headphone monitoring output from the H2 into the mic input of the HV20. Hit the record button once to put in 'record stand-by' mode and the 3.5mm output should activate.

Generally speaking, the headphone out signal is usually flavored and might not be as neutral as the original recording saved to the H2. If you want to be sure to preserve the full spectrum, dub in post.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com