Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home DAT Player for transfers  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Home DAT Player for transfers
« on: October 06, 2015, 07:36:03 AM »
Hey All-

A friend of mine has asked I help transfer his collection of DATs he recorded from the early 90's (maybe late 80's) to mid 2000.  It is a huge undertaking as I believe he has hundreds of tapes.  I need some help picking a DAT player.  I guess my only requirements are a digital out, and I would imagine that is universal, and reliability.  What else should I look for?  I want to do this once and do it right.  Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.  I'll be recording them into a macbook.

Thanks!
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Home DAT Player for transfers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:20:23 AM »
I have had very good luck with a Sony PCM-R500...  I also have a Tascam DA-20mkII as a back-up... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline DigitalIndigo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 11:11:18 AM »
This is a bit dated, but thought I'd add a few things just in case someone else is in the same boat.

I would second looking for a good, studio-grade unit like a R500 - make sure it either has a low hours count or was serviced. That's probably going to be your best bet these days since this equipment is not getting any younger.

A long shot, but in my mind a better option, is to find one of the old audio-capable computer DAT drives that was available back in the 90s. Seagate/Connor and SGI made these drives to connect to a SCSI interface, and the advantage is that they run transfers faster than real-time (not quite double speed). To my knowledge, theses were the only drives that would work, as others had the audio capability disabled (because we all know DAT copying and piracy was a huge issue). If you can find one of these drives, and get a working SCSI card, you can get a program called DAT2WAV from here http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/dat2wav.htm. Run it from DOS, and you end up with nice, neat wav files based on the track markers on the DAT. I transferred about 300 DATs this way from mine and a friend's collections. Anything that had too many errors for this approach got a manual play in an R500 to see if it was actually listenable and a digital transfer (maybe 10 of them).

Hope that helps.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 01:53:15 PM »
My two Fostex D5s have been tanks. Both purchased in 1998 both still work fine, other than an occasional chatter in one. Both heads were replaced by Paul, but that was when I was cloning tons of shows and trading by mail. That sounds so quaint now.  ::) ;D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 03:19:13 PM »
This is a bit dated, but thought I'd add a few things just in case someone else is in the same boat.

I would second looking for a good, studio-grade unit like a R500 - make sure it either has a low hours count or was serviced. That's probably going to be your best bet these days since this equipment is not getting any younger.

A long shot, but in my mind a better option, is to find one of the old audio-capable computer DAT drives that was available back in the 90s. Seagate/Connor and SGI made these drives to connect to a SCSI interface, and the advantage is that they run transfers faster than real-time (not quite double speed). To my knowledge, theses were the only drives that would work, as others had the audio capability disabled (because we all know DAT copying and piracy was a huge issue). If you can find one of these drives, and get a working SCSI card, you can get a program called DAT2WAV from here http://web.ncf.ca/aa571/dat2wav.htm. Run it from DOS, and you end up with nice, neat wav files based on the track markers on the DAT. I transferred about 300 DATs this way from mine and a friend's collections. Anything that had too many errors for this approach got a manual play in an R500 to see if it was actually listenable and a digital transfer (maybe 10 of them).

Hope that helps.

This was the route I went it it worked out very well.

FREE JERRYFREAK!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com