Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Has anyone tried the Windtech "Military High Density" windscreens?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Has anyone tried the Windtech "Military High Density" windscreens?
« on: September 04, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
In my search for good outdoor windscreens for my AT853s, I came across this page: http://www.windtech.tv/Small_Windscreens.php

The tiny stock screens for the AT853 are useless in any real outdoor wind (I tried them for the hell of it at Red Rocks and it was a joke).  They list the 10380 "Military High Density" screen for the AT853, and claim "This windscreen offers up to 20db of wind noise protection, depending the microphone being used, with virtually no affect on the microphone frequency response."  Has anyone tried this screen, or any of their other "Military High Density" screens?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Has anyone tried the Windtech "Military High Density" windscreens?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »
Use a sufficiently phat windscreen.  Wind doesn't care how well-endowed your microphone may or may not be, only how wind-noise-sensitive it is.  I've never understood the standard paring of tiny windscreens to tiny microphones, except in on-talent applications where everything has to be small for visual reasons.  Tiny screens just don't trap sufficient dead-airspace to work well.  They are fine for omnis which already have limited sensitivity to wind, but for directional mics you need a good screen of sufficient size, irregardless of the size of the microphone.

These days, I use Shure A81-WS (B.A.S.) for my directional mics, including the miniature DPA 4098 supercards, which require a little foam insert (repurposed open-pore hair curler foams) to fit snugly into the big windscreen's microphone recess without gaps.  To outsiders it may seem ridiculous to mount such a large foam screen on such a tiny microphone, especially as the tiny built-in gooseneck-support of the 4098 is not strong enough to support the heft of the windscreen on it's own without sagging, but I've found that level of wind protection is what is required to sufficiently attenuate wind noise in my supercards without worries.  Alternate is using a "dead-critter" long-haired fur windjammer overcoat over a smaller foam screen which would otherwise be insufficient on its own, but I find it works better and prefer the simplicity of always using the same sufficiently-large, dual-layer foam, Big Ass Shures.

If going Windtech, I'd look to their "dual foam" designs similar to the BAS using a layer of denser tiny-pore outer foam surrounding the airy, open-pore center core foam which creates a dead-airspace around the microphone, even if it requires nesting a 2nd small windscreen inside it in order to fit the diameter of the 853's.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
heathen, we use the Windtech BG1 on our AKG ck68's; it is excellent and seems to be similar but not the same material; they call this their "high Wind/ENG" series
http://www.windtech.tv/Shotgun_Windscreens.php

Would recommend to a friend       :)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline IMPigpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »
I do the same as Gutbucket for my Naiant X-Rs outdoors, well not using the BAS.  For outdoors I use a pair of BAS with my Neumann 184s and I nest the Naiant windscreen inside a larger windscreen (have to check the model) that I use for the Neumanns indoors.  This past weekend I was at a venue right on Plymouth Harbor and there was a steady wind most of the night and had no issues.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline heathen

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »
For one of the recent Phish shows I actually used the stock AT853 windscreens and put the AT8136 windscreens over those.  It worked that night, but they didn't fit all that snug and I could imagine a strong wind blowing them off.  It wasn't really windy at all that night, so I'm not even sure how much wind protection my half-ass solution would offer.  Hence my search for windscreens more specific to the AT853.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »
If there are movo’s for your microphones, I highly recommend them.

They work and are very inexpensive.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline heathen

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »
If there are movo’s for your microphones, I highly recommend them.

They work and are very inexpensive.

I'd be shocked if there's Movos small enough for the AT853s but it wouldn't hurt to check.  The AT853s would crumple under the weight of the Movos I've seen "in the wild."

Edit: I didn't realize Movo has such a wide variety of windscreen options.  They have a small furry lavalier windscreen that may be perfect.  Thanks for the tip Noah!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:26:04 PM by heathen »

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 12:28:54 AM »

I agree with the BAS screens, I have recorded in some pretty good wind with them. For AT853 hypers, I have run the AT8153 windscreens inside dynamic mic style screens from the local music shop with no problems. Shure screens are really worth the money IMHO. I was put off by the price but after having ruined recordings I realized why take all this gear out with me if I can't guarantee myself a good result.

jcable77

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 04:13:24 AM »
Movo ws10 furry windscreens i use on Naiant x-r’s work great. Might be the same size you need.
https://www.movophoto.com/products/movo-ws10n-universal-furry-outdoor-microphone-windscreen-lavalier

Offline heathen

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »
I just started using a layered approach, seems to work well. I put a Movo ballistic nylon screen https://www.movophoto.com/products/movo-wstt50-premium-quality-ballistic-nylon-windscreen-shotgun over a Shure locking screen https://www.amazon.com/Shure-RK183WS-Black-Snap-Fit-Windscreens/dp/B003B1IPSE If I use the Shapeways 853 DIN mount, the Movo screens look like they're pointing up. They fit awkwardly but they work well.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com