Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY SPdIF help  (Read 4036 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
DIY SPdIF help
« on: January 13, 2005, 10:29:11 AM »
Trying to make some rca cables.  I bought canare cable.  When I stripped the cable I have the shield and 1 inner copper cable.  The question is if  solder the braid on the outside on one end, and the copper cable on the inside on one end, what do I solder on the other side?  only the inner copper cable?  or both?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

hexyjones

Re: DIY SPdIF help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:07:10 AM »
Trying to make some rca cables.  I bought canare cable.  When I stripped the cable I have the shield and 1 inner copper cable.  The question is if  solder the braid on the outside on one end, and the copper cable on the inside on one end, what do I solder on the other side?  only the inner copper cable?  or both?

That's pretty confusing.

Strip the cable...each RCA connector inner hot pin and an outer sheild - (the outer shield is commonly doubles as a strain relief mechanism also) Solder the inner wire to the hot pin, solder the shield to outer connection...

Do the same thing on the other end...

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 11:41:14 AM »
On the recomendation of two other sites, I solder the ground on one side, but not the other.  Should I change that?
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:13:59 PM »
On the recomendation of two other sites, I solder the ground on one side, but not the other.  Should I change that?

hmm..I've never heard that...that sounds like a broken cable to me.

Offline m.mouse

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:47:33 PM »

I think you must solder both conductors at both ends.  Where do you find instructions saying the opposite?

- M 

CK91 ->sbm-1 ->M1
DIYomni -> M1

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 02:17:35 PM »
On the recomendation of two other sites, I solder the ground on one side, but not the other. Should I change that?

I recall reading the same per Doug on the Oade board.  And the side with the soldered ground should connect to the, I believe, upstream device.

As to why, I haven't the foggiest idea - beyond me.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 02:24:24 PM »
The tip and ring of the rca connector at one end of the cable must both be connected to the tip and ring, respectively of the rca connector at the other end of the cable.  Your initial post indicated that the canare cable you're using has one wire in the center and a insulating wire mesh surrounding the center wire.  The links you provided all discuss building cables with multiple center wires and use one of (or a pair of) the central wires to connect the rca's rings and a different central wire to connect the rca's tips. 

Thus, in the cables contemplated in the links, the insulating wire mesh is not needed to complete the connection between the rcas' ring connectors and can be soldiered onto only one of the rings to help isolate the central cables from interference, etc.

In your example, with only one central wire, the insulating wire mesh IS needed to connect the rca connectors rings and complete the circuit.  Thus, it should be soldiered onto both rca rings (outer connectors)
in order to create a complete circuit.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 07:54:31 PM »
On the recomendation of two other sites, I solder the ground on one side, but not the other. Should I change that?

I recall reading the same per Doug on the Oade board.  And the side with the soldered ground should connect to the, I believe, upstream device.

As to why, I haven't the foggiest idea - beyond me.

There is an unbalanced interconnect design that uses signal and return conductors inside a shield.  The shield is tied to only one end, usually the source so that any RFI is drained away from the following amplifier stage.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »

call me old school, but i truly believe in connecting grounds and not floating them.

for 75ohm s/pdif cables, you NEED to establish a solid circuit. 

i highly recommend you solder tip to tip, shield to shield.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com