Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to make 2 XLR > Female Mini Cable or Mod for AD20  (Read 8440 times)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: How to make 2 XLR > Female Mini Cable or Mod for AD20
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 07:25:30 PM »
seriously, i wouldnt lead you wrong... leegeddy

u wont be let down
does he leave the extra pin, from the bal to unbal, on the ad20 capped off?...where are you marc ;-)

i was out of town on b'ness up in chicago all last week.

2 xlr > female mini is pretty straight forward.

XLR:                                 MINI:

Pin 2 from Right XLR          Ring
Pin 2 from Left XLR           Tip
Pins 3 from both L & R       Sleeve (gnd.)
Pins 1 from both L & R       Sleeve (gnd.)

you don't have to worry about chassis ground on the xlr. it will automatically ground since you're grounding Pins 1 from L&R to the Mini Sleeve.

the tricky part of the female mini is determining which post is sleeve and which post is ring.  the solder post in the center is tip, and the solder post to the side is ring.

if you get Tip and Ring backwards, your channel will be swapped since the industry standard is:  Ring = Right = Red  (the "3 R's")

bon chance!!
marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline JAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 10:06:58 AM »
....it got a little confusing as I was not understanding what he was asking.  Then he linked a photo and, w/ a couple of re-reads I understood what he wanted.  He wanted to replace the 2 xlrs w/ a stereo mini to plug his mics into and bypass the adapter cable altogether....rsimms already did the mod himself and hopefully will be sending some photos...still good info as he can verify that he has the Land R correct.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 10:46:49 AM »
With the Left and Right I was able to verify them by using the diagram on the back of the AD20 and a single XLR connector with exposed wires to hook up to the female mini. 

As for the grounds, will leaving the chassis ground to the mini instead of pins 1 and 3 cause any problems?  Is there an advantage to going back and correcting this from the chassis to the 1 and 3 pins for the grounds?  It isn't an issue I will leave it as is, but if it is going to cause any problems, I will fix it. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 01:33:56 PM »
With the Left and Right I was able to verify them by using the diagram on the back of the AD20 and a single XLR connector with exposed wires to hook up to the female mini. 

As for the grounds, will leaving the chassis ground to the mini instead of pins 1 and 3 cause any problems?  Is there an advantage to going back and correcting this from the chassis to the 1 and 3 pins for the grounds?  It isn't an issue I will leave it as is, but if it is going to cause any problems, I will fix it. 
let see...you did
I put the case ground or balanced ground, not a pin, to both of the grounds coming from the unbalanced mics. I then put the left/right from the mics to pin 2 on the XLR left/right connectors.
since you tied the ground of your unbalance signal to the balanced ground (what was pin 1) AND tied the hots together (was pin 2).....was the wire that was connected to what was pin 3 tied to the same point as the wire that was connected to what was pin 1?  IF so then they are tied together and this is ok.

you should be able to take a DMM and get continuity from the wires that were on pin 1 and pin 3. which is also your mic ground (-)

make any sence :)
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2005, 02:20:44 PM »

let see...you did
I put the case ground or balanced ground, not a pin, to both of the grounds coming from the unbalanced mics. I then put the left/right from the mics to pin 2 on the XLR left/right connectors.
since you tied the ground of your unbalance signal to the balanced ground (what was pin 1) AND tied the hots together (was pin 2).....was the wire that was connected to what was pin 3 tied to the same point as the wire that was connected to what was pin 1?  IF so then they are tied together and this is ok.

you should be able to take a DMM and get continuity from the wires that were on pin 1 and pin 3. which is also your mic ground (-)

make any sence :)

No.  The difference between Balanced and Unbalanced XLRs are the extra chassis ground.  The unbalanced mic ground was put to the chassis ground of the XLR connections.  I have nothing going from the unbalanaced mics to either pin 1 or pin 3.  That is the question.  Is the chassis ground good enough to be the ground going from the unbalanced mics? Or should I do as directed above and run the unbalanced mic ground to pins 1 and 3 bridged together?  Inside the AD20 all connectors are seperated.  One wire goes to each of the four connection points on the XLRs - Pins 1-3 and the Chassis Ground.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 02:28:08 PM »
No.  The difference between Balanced and Unbalanced XLRs are the extra chassis ground.  The unbalanced mic ground was put to the chassis ground of the XLR connections.  I have nothing going from the unbalanaced mics to either pin 1 or pin 3.  That is the question.  Is the chassis ground good enough to be the ground going from the unbalanced mics? Or should I do as directed above and run the unbalanced mic ground to pins 1 and 3 bridged together?  Inside the AD20 all connectors are seperated.  One wire goes to each of the four connection points on the XLRs - Pins 1-3 and the Chassis Ground.

don't worry so much about the chassis ground. 

just follow the pin assignments > mini i posted above and you'll be fine.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 09:27:58 AM »

No.  The difference between Balanced and Unbalanced XLRs are the extra chassis ground. 

sorry .... well not really,  but as Leegeddy and I have said, if you tie pin 1 and 3 to the ground of you mics you will be ok.

I have nothing going from the unbalanaced mics to either pin 1 or pin 3.  That is the question.  Is the chassis ground good enough to be the ground going from the unbalanced mics?

What did you do w/ the wires in the ad20 that went to pin 1 and 3?  You are  picking up the ground through the chassis.

I would do it as stated before...take the mic ground to these two.

jah

the not really part is not associated w/ the sorry you didn't understand my post...it was associated w/ your comment about "The difference between Balanced and Unbalanced XLRs are the extra chassis ground. "
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 02:51:59 PM by JAH »
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 02:17:05 PM »
I went home last night and rewired everything as suggested.  I tied both L/R pins 1 and 3 to the mini ground as recommended.  Sounds good.  I am working on borrowing a camera and can throw up some pictures.  Thanks for all the support and guidance on this!
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 02:49:44 PM »
I went home last night and rewired everything as suggested.  I tied both L/R pins 1 and 3 to the mini ground as recommended.  Sounds good.  I am working on borrowing a camera and can throw up some pictures.  Thanks for all the support and guidance on this!
great, no worries...any noticeable sound difference?

enjoy
jah
modified akg 461/2/ck8

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 05:50:52 PM »
None that I can see right now.  As I mentioned, it will all get a real world test April 23rd when I see Muse.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com