Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: rca > 1/8" stereo  (Read 2001 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
rca > 1/8" stereo
« on: May 19, 2005, 12:21:29 AM »
Hey all,
I'm planning on making a short run of cable to go v2 > jb3  I have made RCA > 1/8" cables before to connect my jb3 to my home system (it works perfectly) but I want to get some feedback before I do it again.  The biggest problem with the 1/8" stereo connectors is that the housing and the solder points are so tiny, you can't use a very thick cable.  Last time I ended up using a single piece of mini starquad which worked well and just happened to be sitting in my closet.  The 1/8" jacks have a common ground so I thought nothing of using a single cable.
     Before I go this route again, I wondering if anyone thinks I may have issues because the individual "channels" within the starquad aren't individually shielded.

Comments?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline peeeper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
Re: rca > 1/8" stereo
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 12:53:58 AM »
I can understand your concerns in soldering to a 1/8 connector.  One idea would be to solder to a ¼ male connector then use a ¼ female to 1/8 male adaptor.  This would make your soldering easier because of the increase in size of the solder points and allow you to use larger diameters of cable or larger AWG.  I now it makes it a bit bulky with one extra piece to carry around.  If this doesn’t bother you, you could tape or permanently bond the ¼ connector to the adapter.  Maybe even fining a right angle adaptor would work better for form-factor purposes.  Alternatively finding the right 1/8 connector and cable can be a bear.  I suggest looking through DigiKey's catalog or even Newark's catalog.  Both can be easily found with a google search.  Also it helps to have the right soldering equipment for the job!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 12:56:15 AM by peeeper »
field: SKM184 > MME > VAIO, D8
home: DA-20 > WT2496

You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do. --Jerry Garcia

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 04:31:39 PM »
I made it out of canare.  Used it last night.  mbho > v2 > jb3 absolutly blew me away.  Compared to my mbho > usbpre > lappy with the same band, same bar, mic stand 5 ft away and nos vs ortf... very similar situation.  amazing difference, and I would say my cable didn't make the difference but it certainly worked.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Idle Wind

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 12:50:08 PM »
leegeddy uses two kinds of RA minis - the switchcraft, like the
one ed uses on kindkables, and the gnarly mogami.

I think he has said he'd only use the mogami on mini / mini
cables, and stay with the switchcraft on the mini / rca cables,
cause the mogami is so small.

I have a bumblebee stereo mini / stereo mini with the mogamis
which I use to hook up stuff (mp3 player / d8 / jb3) to the
line in jack on my car stereo.  I love that cable.

I also have a bumblebee stereo mini -> rcas to go from
my mp2->sbm-1 - which is switchcraft, which I also love,
but that mini mogami rocks.
Schoeps mk4, mk22, nbob actives
AKG 460 ck63 /ck8 nbob actives
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
PCM-M10 / DR-70D (N-Mod) / PMD 670 (Oade Mod) / Roland R07 / FR2-LE (Oade mod)
Platinum N-Box, Baby N-Box, SD MP-2, Naiant PFAs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com