Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S Processing for non m/s sources  (Read 10287 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: M/S Processing for non m/s sources
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »
this might be interesting to people looking for an all in one M/S EQ:

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/internet-co-release-free-ms-eq-comp-plug

Giving it a try, great find noahbickart, I like having M/S, EQ and Compression in a single VST plug-in.

Tried it on a final mix and am pleased with what can be done with it, especially because it's free.

Thanks.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
Does anyone know of a Mid/Side EQ that has an "inverse curve" mode which automatically creates an inverse curve in the second channel?  That would be very useful for this as one could adjust width by frequency with gain being automatically compensated, separating the width/rebererance adjustments from the tonal adjustments.

You inspired me. Unfortunately, I did not find this plugin. But there is a simple solution for those who use the Reaper. Maybe it's possible in other DAWs too. It is easy in Reaper. We can link gain parameters in side eq with gain parameters in mid eq. And set the scale to -100% for reverse values. We can save this plugin even with linked parameters for future use. This way we can set up most of plugins in Reaper. Input range (slider) of linked parameters should be linear when setting reverse value. In case of this limitation it can be solved by the JS plugins. There is possibility to modify the input ranges and minimal step.

Maybe this can be useful when we do matrix too. First, we can set the correct ratio of e.g. aud and sbd. And when we need to fine-tune the stereo image we can use comfortably a plugin with reverse linked levels (left/right or mid/side). The aud/sbd ratio remains roughly the same and aud or sbd stereo image can be easily shifted or stretched.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:24:16 AM by kuba e »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 09:08:40 AM »
^That's great.  This kind of "automatic inverse compensation" functionality is applicable to a lot of different mixing tasks and should be especially useful for fine-tuning.  The EQ balance between two sources is one good application.  Get each sounding good on their own.  Get the overall mix of the two sounding good. Then use that functionality to retain the same overall EQ balance while playing around with the mix balance of the two across the spectrum.  A "tilt" EQ may be useful there, or one could dial in a specific curve to use more midrange from one source and less from the other or whatever without actually changing the overall EQ balance.

Similarly, I've wished for that kind of "trade-off" EQ for 5 & 7 channel playback to fine-tune the EQ balance between L/R C and the Surround channels.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
It is a very good idea to play with mirrored eq on two sources while retain the same overall eq. I will try it.

Edit: I tried mirrored "tilt" EQ. It is very nice. And yes, it is very fine-tuning. For whom it is already too subtle (like me), you can try the more extreme settings just to get the idea what could be improved on each source individually.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:38:14 AM by kuba e »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com