Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Have settings problem - no bass ??!!!

Edirol
1 (50%)
Sonic Studios
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Edirol R 09+HR Sonic Studios  (Read 3892 times)

Offline zeppelin666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Edirol R 09+HR Sonic Studios
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »
Have bought Edirol R09 HR and wanted to use the Sonic Studios DSM-P6 - I used for my DAT recordings and have tried all different settings but the recordings are all without any bass?
If I record with the intern mics it sounds full but with external mics :-(
Thanks for any help!!!!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R 09+HR Sonic Studios
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »
So what exactly is the poll for? Are you using any kind of pre-amp in between the mics and recorder?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
It should work just as well as with your Dat. Did you use a Sonic Studios battery box with the Dat and not with the HR? Neither the Dat nor the HR will properly power Sonic Studios mics without a Sonic Studios battery box or preamp.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline zeppelin666

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
No - I do not use anything between Mics and Edirol! And on DAT WM-D8 it works well without the battery box I do have but did´nt used either for Edirol or DAT! Can it be that there is a problem with the wire-connection to Edirol since its very sensitive - always when touch the plug in there are pops and drops out at the recording!
I´m a little frustrated since I thought DAT is very sensitive but this new Digi Systems are even more fragile!
Must record my next show with my old DAT :(

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »
As you are well aware, the SS DSM mics are going to have no problem picking up bass whatsoever -if anything, they usually need some kind of low-cut. Similarly, the R-09HR certainly is capable of recording the full frequency range.

Do you happen to have the low-cut, limiter or other settings on the R-09HR set to "ON"?  That seems to be the most likely culprit--check those switches on the back.  The low-cut filter on these consumer decks is not, as I understand it, very accurate at all.

Assuming you are recording amplified music, I would, in any event, use or acquire a battery box to power the DSM-6 and run through line-in, or if you can't get a strong enough signal, MIC in with MIC POWER set to "OFF". 

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
I would, in any event, use or acquire a battery box to power the DSM-6 and run through line-in, or if you can't get a strong enough signal, MIC in with MIC POWER set to "OFF".

Must be a Sonic Studios BB or it will not properly power the mics. The mic should not have worked optimally with your DAT, unless you had the DAT modified by Guysonic. (Maybe it worked well enough that you didn't notice any problems).
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:25:42 PM »
Have bought Edirol R09 HR and wanted to use the Sonic Studios DSM-P6 - I used for my DAT recordings and have tried all different settings but the recordings are all without any bass?
If I record with the intern mics it sounds full but with external mics :-(
Thanks for any help!!!!

Have the edirol R09HR and the Sonic studio  DSM-6 mics and I could not get enough signal to the edirol even at the recd level of 80 (which is max). To run the sonic studio mics with the edirol I believe you need the Sonic studio preamp. What I understand is the SS mics run at a different voltage then what most recorders are expecting. I have run the SS mics with my Sony D6 for many years with good results due to the way the Sony D6 was made and it runs with lower voltage mics or that was what I was told.

Usually SS mics have good bass response so make sure the switch on the back of the edirol for low cut switch is set to off?

Options I see:
Buy SS preamp
Buy new/used mics and a preamp and run that into the edirol.

There are some option on TS yard sale  board and some low cost mics that sound good.

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:31:12 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline zeppelin666

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
So now I tried 4 diffrent settings to record with Edirol (I have done the right settings on Edirol back - limiter off, Low cut off - mic gain high:

1. Edirol with intern mics (Sounds perfect!)
2. Edirol with Sonic Studios - plug in power ON (Still sound no bass and very low levels :-( )
3. Edirol with Sonic Studios + DSM-6 - plug in power OFF (Sounds perfect but a little low levels - can rase on concert shows!)
4. Edirol with Sony Standard mics (Clips) plug in power ON (Sounds good but its the quality of the cheap mics!)

So it is a fact, that the Sonic Studios without any amp is NOT useable to record any live shows!

Thanks to all for all the informations :-)

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »
So it is a fact, that the Sonic Studios without any amp is NOT useable to record any live shows!

Incorrect. No need for a preamp. Most decks (including the HR) or preamps do not provide the proper plug in power voltage to operate Sonic Studio's mics correctly. A preamp not made by Sonic Studios will not work either (and Sonic Studio's pres are rather pricey) but with a Sonic Studios battery box, you would be fine. Also will work fine with the Sony D50's plug in power.

Offline zeppelin666

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 04:10:34 AM »
Yeah that´s right - I did mean if you put in the Sonic Studios direktly to Edirol without any battery box - this does not work - not either with plug in power ON and with plug in power OFF! You need a battery box or pre amp!  ^-^

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
Those mentioning need for specific DSM mic powering module are correct for finding source of this tapers frustration with recording using my mics. 

Never run powered or unpowered DSM mic into LINE input without a preamplifier.  DSM mics have much lower output than usual mics, and Edirol decks are quite overload protected at the mic input for running most mics without distortion. 

See technical review of R-09HR for details: www.sonicstudios.com/r09hrrev

R-09HR may also be MOD-4 internally upgraded to directly power any DSM microphone and costs same as lowest costing external battery module.

See these options on Mic Powering page: www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm

Alos in Retail Section: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=83254.0;all
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com