Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealthy mic comparisons  (Read 9375 times)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Stealthy mic comparisons
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 10:18:09 AM »
I happened to switch from my usual walk-around earbuds, Shure E2c's, to some Senn MX400's I haven't used in quite a while.  Guess what?  The difference in tonal balance was similar to that of the Shure vs. Senn small cap mics.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 10:40:53 AM »
MM-HLSC-1 - I've been using these for about 6 weeks (and as many shows) and I have really been impressed. I don't know if I would fork over the retail for the mics and bb set but Hammerhorror gave me a great deal on these, barely used. I don't know if I like these better than my at933, could be just digging the different sound.

Offline Von Recklinhausen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 01:26:10 PM »

I agree with you the omnis sound most natural.  But sometimes you don't want that.  When I tape in crappy rooms I leave my headphones/monitors on with a mix of SBD + AUD.  It actually sounds better than what I hear from my seat.  And it is quieter too!  Sort of like an inverse hearing aid...

But, yes, for good sounding rooms, omnis sound great.  I have a few shows recorded with both cards (AT853, XY) and omnis (MKE2, HRTF).  I like the cards for listesting on my stereo speakers, and the omnis for listening in headphones.

Richard

I was looking for an owner of the Sennheiser MKE2. Are you happy with them? How do they compare with the omnis AT943 (SP-CMC-8) and with the DPA 4061? I am considering strongly to buy some of the Sennheiser MKE2, so I would be very grateful  to know your oppinion about them.

The Senn MKE2 sound fine, but I don't have AT943(O) or DPA4061 to compare with!  I'm sure DPA are the best, but I don't know how close they are.

By the way, make sure to get the 3-wire version of the MKE2.  Otherwise they may distort at high sound levels.

Really, unless you've got a killer deal on  the MKE2 (I got mine for $52USD each) you should just go for the DPA if you have money, or the AT943 if you don't.
Oh yeah, the AT943 have removeable caps, which is a *huge* advantage here.  Obviously some of us prefer cardioids, at least in some rooms!

Richard

[/quote]

Just one more question: Is the MKE2 from Microphone Madness a 3-wire version? They specify a SPL of 130 dB without a battery box

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 02:47:14 PM »

I agree with you the omnis sound most natural.  But sometimes you don't want that.  When I tape in crappy rooms I leave my headphones/monitors on with a mix of SBD + AUD.  It actually sounds better than what I hear from my seat.  And it is quieter too!  Sort of like an inverse hearing aid...

But, yes, for good sounding rooms, omnis sound great.  I have a few shows recorded with both cards (AT853, XY) and omnis (MKE2, HRTF).  I like the cards for listesting on my stereo speakers, and the omnis for listening in headphones.

Richard

I was looking for an owner of the Sennheiser MKE2. Are you happy with them? How do they compare with the omnis AT943 (SP-CMC-8) and with the DPA 4061? I am considering strongly to buy some of the Sennheiser MKE2, so I would be very grateful  to know your oppinion about them.

The Senn MKE2 sound fine, but I don't have AT943(O) or DPA4061 to compare with!  I'm sure DPA are the best, but I don't know how close they are.

By the way, make sure to get the 3-wire version of the MKE2.  Otherwise they may distort at high sound levels.

Really, unless you've got a killer deal on  the MKE2 (I got mine for $52USD each) you should just go for the DPA if you have money, or the AT943 if you don't.
Oh yeah, the AT943 have removeable caps, which is a *huge* advantage here.  Obviously some of us prefer cardioids, at least in some rooms!

Richard

Just one more question: Is the MKE2 from Microphone Madness a 3-wire version? They specify a SPL of 130 dB without a battery box
[/quote]

I don't know if it is two or three wire.  Hmm.  Without a special batt. box it must be two-wire version.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 03:14:24 PM »
2 wire terminated in 1/8 stereo. It is my understanding that they are manufactured independent of the mke2 series, supposedly a proprietary capsule manufactured for MM (but prob. Based on an existing Senn. Capsule).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com