Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beginner Mic Setup for Outdoor music Fest  (Read 3093 times)

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Beginner Mic Setup for Outdoor music Fest
« on: June 22, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
Howdy All:

I'm a stranger to this board.  I've been lurking for some information, and found my way to great FAQ on iriver recording.....

It occurred to me that I posted this in the wrong spot so I've copied the post here hoping for a few hits.  Thanks for the help!

Guys:

I'm psyched.  After wasting my time to try and get my 4G Ipod to Record using Linux, I realized that it was a waste of time, and came to this site looking for the right answers.

After reading the wealth of info in this FAQ I was convinced that for the money I simply couldn't beat an iriver.

So I got me one from ebay for about $220.  H140.

I'm hoping to have this ready for a music fest in 7 days.(High Sierra, CA)  So even though I'm new, I was hoping for a few recommendations.

Being a closet musician of 20 years, I'm no stranger to recording but I've never tried it like this with portable gear.  So now that I have my recorder:

1)  I'm going to stick with analog for now:  Can you recommend a beginner mic setup less than 100 bucks that I can get quickly?
2)  What other quick start advice can you offer?  Like a Tripod that can mount to my head or something?

Thanks for all the effort.  I'm excited to capture some of the magic that I've seen in the last few years for later listening and of course sharing.

Zeke

GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Beginner Mic Setup for Outdoor music Fest
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 11:17:31 AM »
Mics for less than $100 will be very hard to come by.  For open taping in festivals and the like, you may want to look into a pair of AKG C1000 or Studio Projects C4 mics.  See if you can get them used from this board or from another board to save some money.  You are still probably looking at over $100 for mics.

For tripods and the like, most tapers use the Bogen / Manfrotto lighting stands.  You can get one from any of the major taping gear retailers, or maybe Guitar Center or somewhere like that will have one.  You will also need a stereo bar so you can mount the mics and can attach them to the stand.  The cheapest one is the AKG and this costs around $20 new from most of the taping gear retailers.

You also will need some mic cables that can go from your mics to the deck.  I have no idea what kind of inputs the iRiver has so you may be building your own cables there.  Some of the mic types have their own power supplies for phantom powering, some do not so you may also need some battery boxes as well (or you can build your own).

It may be easier at this point with a limited budget to get a pair of Giant Squid, Core Sound, or Sound Professionals binaural mini-mics and use those at the festival.  Since it is outdoor taping, the omni issue is fine and you won't have to mess with a stand, cables, power supplies, and a bunch of other stuff if you are on a budget.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:22:01 AM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 11:54:38 AM »
track down a set of Superlux's or the Oktava mc-012's, probably get either set for 150 or so, you will make some pretty good tapes too

Offline jdhriver

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 02:51:51 PM »
Zac,

If it's a major festival you maybe able to hook up with someone on board and see if they can give you some insights and maybe lend a part or two.  As long as your willing to help and buy a few brews I think most folk would be responsive. 

Also, try putting up an ISO on the yard sale.  I'm willing to bet there are a few sets of less expensive mics collecting dust in someones bag.

Good luck and have fun.

jd
LSD2>>UA-5Digimod>>JB3

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 03:15:36 PM »
how are you planning on powering the mics?

mics + pre for under $100 is gonna leave you pretty limited in options, especially with HSMF being next weekend. you may just want to work on getting some cables together to patch, at least for High Sierra.

Other option is I may not need my Church Audio Omnis and SP Batt box that weekend, and I may be able to send it up with Ian Stone for you to use, but I need to check my show calander and see what I'll have around then.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 03:51:55 PM »
Hey All:

Thanks very much for your suggestions.  I'm not planning to have the best of rig by next week -- not enough time.  Just thinking about getting my feet wet a little at High Sierra.  You can tell I haven't done much research yet -- don't have the time to do it just yet.

No biggie to spend more than $100 -- I can do a little more, I just had no idea of the price point.  For live stage use 100 bucks will get a solid mic, you know?

So in another thread I saw something about using Microphone Madness HLSC mics for outdoor shows -- what do you think?  Saw some for around 200 bucks.

I wasn't planning to have a stand or preamp just yet -- probably just try to clip the mics to my visor or something.  (I'm sure you guys are just laughing at my ignorance by now  ;D ;D ;D)

But if anyone has a better suggestion about how to "wear" my mics I sure would like to hear it.  Thanks.

Zeke

BTW:  It is possible to use those mics without a preamp, yes?

GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 04:16:45 PM »
If you can locate any other tapers that are going beforehand, ask if you can get a patch...the only extra item to buy would be whatever cable connects the H140 to their recorder. You might get lucky!
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 01:05:57 AM »
Ahh, now it's making sense.  You're saying I can just plug into someone else's mic rig.  That's a great idea.

It would be cool to learn a bit more from you seasoned vets.  I'll give it a try.

Macro, off topic I love your dog!  Years ago I had a housemate up north that had a black lab named Bailey.  Well, it was a black lab/german shepard mix.  So picture this:  face, chest, paws of lab, jet black, and the high hind quarters and longer hair of a shepard!  Greatest dog ever.  She could chase us at 12 mph on mountain bikes for hours.  Sadly, when he was visiting his parents in the city she got loose and was killed.  Greatest dog ever.

out,

Zeke

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 01:51:31 AM »
Oh boy, here we go!

Just order a pair of MM HLSC-1 and a battery box.  I do hope that is enough for starters.

Since I'll be milling around and not necessarily catching full shows I'm hoping to achieve good sound by clipping the mics to my hat visor.  If you think this won't work please warn me ahead of time.

;D ;D ;D

Can't wait.

Zeke

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 02:07:48 AM »

mics + pre for under $100 is gonna leave you pretty limited in options, especially with HSMF being next weekend. you may just want to work on getting some cables together to patch, at least for High Sierra.

Other option is I may not need my Church Audio Omnis and SP Batt box that weekend, and I may be able to send it up with Ian Stone for you to use, but I need to check my show calander and see what I'll have around then.

Hey Terrapin:

Where are you from?  I live in Santa Cruz.

This is interesting.  My friend Jeff just called me from Hawaii, and I told him I was getting set up to do some taping.  He told me that he knew a guy that frequents this site, by the name of Ian Stone!  Pretty Strange, Eh?  Jeff's handle on phishposters is Ring-Tailed Lemur.

I don't believe they have met in person but I'm not sure.  Might be cool to meet at HS?

Thanks for the 'quipment offer, but as long as my order comes by Wednesday I have some stuff coming based on what I read in other posts.

My rig would be:  MM HLSC1s > some batt box > Iriver H140.

out,

Zeke

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »

Hey Terrapin:

Where are you from?  I live in Santa Cruz.

This is interesting.  My friend Jeff just called me from Hawaii, and I told him I was getting set up to do some taping.  He told me that he knew a guy that frequents this site, by the name of Ian Stone!  Pretty Strange, Eh?  Jeff's handle on phishposters is Ring-Tailed Lemur.

I don't believe they have met in person but I'm not sure.  Might be cool to meet at HS?

Thanks for the 'quipment offer, but as long as my order comes by Wednesday I have some stuff coming based on what I read in other posts.

My rig would be:  MM HLSC1s > some batt box > Iriver H140.

out,

Zeke

I live in LA - Ian does as well. Ian is gets around, what can I say  ;D

glad to see you got an order rolling - hopefully you'll have it in time - if not try to pick up a 1/8" stereo > 1/8" cable and maybe and RCA > 1/8 stereo in case you need to take some analog patches

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 03:05:27 PM »
I want to second the notion of patching for a while, for a number of reasons:

1) This hobby is addictive, you will find yourself spending all kinds of money you never had. Rather than blow a bunch of $$$ on gear with which you will shortly be dissatisfied, patch for a while and save your money.

2) People have widely varied tastes when it comes to the sound of microphones. By patching you can try out a whole bunch of sounds to see what *You* like best.

3) Not everybody likes taping. You tend to have to be more sober, more quiet, more defensive of your position. You can't leave early and you can't always pee when you want. Most shows go up to the archive or bt pretty quickly these days. Before you invest, make sure this hobby is for you.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 05:05:29 PM »
Hey Guys:

Thanks once again.  I do have those patch cords already --  they're always useful for hooking up digi-music players.  Should probably find some better quality though.

Terrapin, do you know which shows Ian plans to tape?  Just thought I'd drop by and say hi if I can locate him.

Noah, I pretty much have a habit of picking up any hobby that requires gear.  It's definately a sickness .   >:D

Eh, whattaya gonna do?

out,

Zeke

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 05:14:20 PM »
Ian plans on taping everything  ;D (that may not actually be too much of an exageration seeing as he is bringing at least 2 full rigs)

he runs schoeps actives - look for the guy with the curly black fro running frantically from stage to stage - usually set up in the sweet spot ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com