Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need a little rig advice - Mic Stand and Setup  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Zeke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Need a little rig advice - Mic Stand and Setup
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »
Hi Guys:

I've posted here before but it's been awhile.  I'm still pretty new to taping but I have some equipment and have taped 3 or 4 shows, nothing recent.

I have MM-HLSC-1 Mics > MM-MBM Battery Box > Iriver H140 w/Rockbox.

The few shows I've done have been OK, nothing great but acceptable recordings.

I'm in the market for a mic stand - after searching here the Bogen / Manfrotto 3336 Stand at 11 ft tall seems like a decent stand -- what do you think?

So Questions:

What's do you all suggest for mounting these mics.  They do have clips and so that's the cheap way of doing it, but what's the preferred method?

Holding Recorder:  is there a holder or something that can clamp to mic stand?

Mic Setup:  will a 90deg XY setup work for a loud rock show?

Lastly, the last show I did with this setup was clear but the bass was very thin.  I am not using my battery box to block any bass frequency.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Zeke
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need a little rig advice - Mic Stand and Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:27:20 PM »
I have open taped with the MM-HLSC-1's using a cheap Dynatran stand and one of these with acceptable results:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-3

I know some have made their own shock-mounts for these or the Church mics and that is probably the preferred method. Mine is more quick and dirty.  I have an ext cable to run the mics down to the ground where the recorder sits in my gear bag, so as to not have the recording device on the stand where it is more susceptible.

I have found bass response is hit or miss depending on my recording location, PA, and club acoustics if indoors. 
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:23:11 AM »
I'm in the market for a mic stand - after searching here the Bogen / Manfrotto 3336 Stand at 11 ft tall seems like a decent stand -- what do you think?

I think that would be a great choice.  I personally want my stand to extend at least 9 feet.  It wouldn't be so bulky that it weighs a ton, but has legs that give adequate stability while not extending out 5 feet so everyone in the venue trips over them.  Those are my criteria and I think this stand fits them all.

What's do you all suggest for mounting these mics.  They do have clips and so that's the cheap way of doing it, but what's the preferred method?

Can't help there because I don't know the mics...but there's probably a million options where you can find pieces, parts, and adapters at places like www.posthorn.com or www.bhphoto.com.  Try doing a history search on this webpage too.

Holding Recorder:  is there a holder or something that can clamp to mic stand?

Get one of those waist sacks...what the heck do you call them...the bags that strap around your waist....a fanny pack.  It's not sexy, but I've seen lots of people with small gear use it.  Once the stand is up, they just take the fanny pack off their waist and wrap the strap a few times around their stand pole...just above one of the joints so that the strap slides down the pole and is supported from falling further by the joint and the strap.  A strip of duct tape further secures it from slipping and falling down onto the floor or into the mud.  Then during the show they leave the sack unzipped with the recorder supported by the bag, but exposed, and so they can be checking levels during the show.

Best friend during a show is a roll of duct tape.  Get a roll and carry it around the strap on one of your bags.  Again not sexy, but functional for a million uses and NEVER is a waste to bring...and if you don't use it, your friends will.

Mic Setup:  will a 90deg XY setup work for a loud rock show?

Check and search the mic setup forum...this question has been asked a zillion times.

Lastly, the last show I did with this setup was clear but the bass was very thin.  I am not using my battery box to block any bass frequency.  Any suggestions?

Again, can't help you there other than to say preparation is the first key to getting a good recording. So, if your location at the venue isn't giving you a good bass sound for your ears, then you won't get a good bass sound on your recordings.  What I'm saying is that you can maximize the bass response (if that's what's been lacking on your previous recordings) next time by walking around the venue (say during the warmup band) to listen for what spot gives you the sweetest sounding bass...THEN see what you get through your mics.

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »
Hey Guys:

Thanks a lot for the replies so far.  I suppose I'll go ahead with the mic stand as y'all seem to approve of it.

That leaves the clamps for the mics.  Anyone using these MM-HLSC-1 that have a favorite you'd like to share?

I'll try to do a bit more searching of the forum as well.

Thanks!

Zeke
GEAR:  Microphone Madness MM-HLSC-1 > MM Battery Box (minty fresh) > iRiver H160 w/Rockbox

Offline itsoktodoubt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 11:55:12 AM »
I have open taped with the MM-HLSC-1's using a cheap Dynatran stand and one of these with acceptable results:

I have one of these in the 12" version.  Works great with my Church cards.  The arms are flexible so it's easy to put the mics in different configs.

I've never used the MM's myself but based on the stock photo from the website, they are using the same AT clips I use on my Church cards, so I'm guessing they are similar in size.  The above T-bar should work out well for you.
"Make that Black Record.  Roll the tapes all night long.  Make that Black Record and we'll all sing along." - Magnolia Electric Co.

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 09:58:10 PM »

I have one of these in the 12" version.  Works great with my Church cards.  The arms are flexible so it's easy to put the mics in different configs.

I've never used the MM's myself but based on the stock photo from the website, they are using the same AT clips I use on my Church cards, so I'm guessing they are similar in size.  The above T-bar should work out well for you.

Whoa, must not have had enough coffee this morning -- I didn't notice the post extolling the virtues of the T-bar.  Looks like a decent rig, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks all!

Zeke

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 08:27:40 AM »

I have considered purchasing one of these but it struck me that they would actually be quite difficult to set an exact configuration of the mics for a couple of reasons.  First of all, because this is a flexible gooseneck, I feel that it would be quite difficult to get it exactly straight down the middle and then angled properly on the ends.  The 12 inch one is just a touch longer than 30 cm so it's perfect for NOS but what about any other config?  Where and how would you attach the mics?  I do like the shockmount setup (http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/images/gold/full/SP-GNA-3-I.jpg) that you can purchase for it but that goose neck just doesn't look practical to me when I think about it.  Let me know if I'm wrong because it's a fairly inexpensive option for those of use who are not good at builiding things.  :D

Also Zeke, just doing a quick search in ebay brought me to this 12 foot light stand http://cgi.ebay.com/C133-12-TRIPOD-STAND-WITH-2-SIDE-BARS-dj-lighting-NEW_W0QQitemZ280180505940QQihZ018QQcategoryZ29945QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. with 1 full T bar and 2 half T bars.  If those 2 half T bars can swivle to be on top of each other, they could allow you to do an easy XY config.  Not sure how you'd connect a shock mount or mics to that either.  What do you all think of it? 

Thanks,
Seth

Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline itsoktodoubt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »
I've only used mine a couple of times, and think I've only done XY with it.  Works fine.  I just used the metal rings that hold the windscreens and mics in place to line up my angles.
"Make that Black Record.  Roll the tapes all night long.  Make that Black Record and we'll all sing along." - Magnolia Electric Co.

Offline Seth01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
I've only used mine a couple of times, and think I've only done XY with it.  Works fine.  I just used the metal rings that hold the windscreens and mics in place to line up my angles.

Ahh, yes, that makes sense; I can see how that would work.  Thanks.  :)
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
That stand with all the t-bars looks like a little too much.  Even at open taping gigs the lower the profile the better.  Some venues will request that you run about head -height, which could be pretty awkward with all those bars.  I would not want to think about that bad boy getting knocked over.  Plus mic stands are like magnets for balloons, beach balls, glo sticks, basically anything that can find it's way into the air.  Smaller the target the better.

I'd go with a basic 9-11 footer light stand, with small mics you will not have much problem figuring out a bar or clamp combination that will work. 
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 07:14:18 PM »
Plus mic stands are like magnets for balloons, beach balls, glo sticks, basically anything that can find it's way into the air.

They also attract loud talkers and people that want to use the base of your stand for purses and jackets. :P
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 07:16:05 PM »
I have found running the HLSC in DIN provides the best bess responce...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:34:38 PM »
have considered purchasing one of these but it struck me that they would actually be quite difficult to set an exact configuration of the mics for a couple of reasons.  First of all, because this is a flexible gooseneck, I feel that it would be quite difficult to get it exactly straight down the middle and then angled properly on the ends.

Not that hard really.  Plus if 20 cm / 90° is going to sound good, 19 cm / 85° will work pretty well too.  You don't need to stress over exactly matching a specified config IMO, especially in typical taping situations.

The 12 inch one is just a touch longer than 30 cm so it's perfect for NOS but what about any other config?

Just bend the ends of the gooseneck up or down at the desired width.

That said, if you have clips on the mics, one way I run my AT853s is clipped to a 6 inch (markings, it's actually very slghtly longer) ruler threaded through a single shockmount.  With the clips on the end of the ruler, and the mics angled out 45° each, I get a perfect 20cm din spacing between the capsules.

Offline Seth01

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 09:58:46 PM »
Thanks for the excellent advice/insight everyone.  Greatly appreciated.

Seth
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline Zeke

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 11:00:43 PM »
Thanks for the excellent advice/insight everyone.  Greatly appreciated.

Seth

Indeed.  Thanks to all.

I got Bogen/Manfrotto stand in the mail yesterday (11ft) and early next week is the t-bar suggested here.  Some new cables, and my HLSC, Battbox, and H160 I'm ready to go.

I didn't get the gear in time to do my friend's band, but there's a lot of shows coming up and I'll be ready.

over and out,

Zeke

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com