Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ATH-M50s = wow!  (Read 2795 times)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
ATH-M50s = wow!
« on: March 17, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
I just picked up a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones...amazing! I never thought my recordings could sound this good! These things have pretty much eliminated most of my desire to upgrade my AT853's any time soon...they even make the hyper caps have a nice rich bass sound. I wish they made speakers too.

[/AT fluff]

Question: What companies make (active) studio monitors that share a similar sound as these headphones?

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: ATH-M50s = wow!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:22:05 PM »
AT makes some fine headphones!

If you really are an AT junkie (I once had it bad), you can get Audio Technica speakers.  The speaker company has been disolved, but ebay occationally has some of their products. 

Look for "Design Acoustics"   They were a botique speaker manufacture that was bought out by Audio Technica.  Their Point Source Series were nothing shot of amazing.  The PS-10a shows up on ebay occationally.  The speaker surrounds often need replaced, but it is worth it.  You should be able to score a pair for around $100.  If the surrounds are still good they sound as good as any speaker I ever heard...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
too bad I didn't hold out for those over the 40s.  ::)
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »
I've had a set of these for a little while now.  They slay the 7506s IMO.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline fotoralf.be

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • fotoralf.be
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »
I tried a pair of those shortly after buying AKG K271. Rarely has anything in this place hit ebay as fast as those AKG cans.

Even my beloved original 600 Ohm K240 are gathering dust, now.

Ralf

Photography and industrial audioscapes from Western Europe. - Sound examples: http://aporee.org/maps/projects/fotoralf - Blog (German): http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
These are the only cans I own and I love them!
Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
Agreed.  Very transparent, accurate, comfortable... the list goes on.  I got a set of these cans a few months ago to replace an ancient set of AKG 270's and it was one of the best decisions I've made in a while. ;D  I've used a lot of different monitor headphones in the past 20 years including the venerable stalwarts (Sony 7506, Sennheiser 280, AKG 240, etc.) and these are the best to my ears.  I wouldn't recommend doing any serious mixing on a set of cans, but these are about the closest I've heard to reproducing the sound from a studio monitor.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com