Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ground Loop Problem w/ Desktop+Sound Card & Receiver  (Read 2119 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Ground Loop Problem w/ Desktop+Sound Card & Receiver
« on: August 09, 2004, 04:06:33 PM »
Hey all-

I have a really nasty ground loop problem when I hook up my desktop computer receiver to my receiver. I am using an M-audio audiophile 2496. When I take the analog RCA out to an analog RCA input on my receiver (Harman Kardon AVR20, low end pro-logic receiver), which then sends out a line level signal through unbalanced RCA cables to my powered speakers (Paradigm active 20's), I get a REALLY LOUD hum.

I have isolated the problem to my computer monitor, if I unplug the power cable to the monitor the hum goes away. Likewise, if I hook up the sound card directly to my powered speakers everything is all good. But I would really like to be able to have the computer monitor on at the same time I am playing back, and I don't want to have to swap cables to listen from the computer.

I think if I could get an external DAC that would take an optical signal, I could spit out a SPDIF out from the 2496 card and pass it through a format converter to optical, which would maybe eliminate the ground loop. However,I don't think this is in my budget for the near future, which rules out this possibility.

I have also tried powering the monitor from different outlets with no luck, all the outlets I have tried give the same result.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could try?

Thanks,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
Re: Ground Loop Problem w/ Desktop+Sound Card & Receiver
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »
Are your RCA cables directional ? I had a similar issue when I finally noticed the signal path dirction arrows were going the wrong way. Also check all of the connections you have on your reciever to make sure you don't have a misconfig. so to speak
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Ground Loop Problem w/ Desktop+Sound Card & Receiver
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 07:09:43 PM »
is there another plug? that may solve the problem... or one of those 2prong to 3prong adapters.

just trying to think of simple fixes from my sound days...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com