Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Professional new pre SP-PREAMP-11 vs Church Audio ST-9100  (Read 8853 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sound Professional new pre SP-PREAMP-11 vs Church Audio ST-9100
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »
Thanks again Arni.There's no quality difference between the 2 types of input jacks right?
Is there a brand/type of the short 3.5 anyone would like to recommend?
with the mini-xlr(3 wire) you have -12dB decrease of mic-input-signal
with the 3.5mm you have about -15db(chris uses the 4.7k mod in his mics to reduce distortion at high SPL..sound pressure levels).

both are ok for loud shows with high SPL.
turn up your preamp to 50%(12 o clock position of the knob) and do the rest of level adjustment on your R-09 using LINE-in.

AVOID R-09 gain from 25-30 because of it´s noise!
I would choose 10-15(of max. 30) on the R-09 and the rest from the preamp.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:03:53 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline towanda

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
That explains it very well.Thank You :) I'll probably be asking more obvious questions when i actually get this gear, hopefully you'll all be as understanding as you have so far

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 11:44:42 AM »
Thanks again Arni.There's no quality difference between the 2 types of input jacks right?
with the 3.5mm you have about -15db(chris uses the 4.7k mod in his mics to reduce distortion at high SPL..sound pressure levels).

turn up your preamp to 50%(12 o clock position of the knob) and do the rest of level adjustment on your R-09 using LINE-in.

Actually with the 2 wire input there is no decrease in input levels.. It only depends on what mic you use with it with my Cardioid mics they all have the 4.7k mod in them, So there is a reduction of about 12.5 db with three wire ( mini xlr ) there is a reduction of about 10db. The difference is, I felt it was always better to have a 3.5 mm stereo jack simply because in some cases with my mics or any mics that are modded with my 4.7k 2 wire mod you get the same performance as 3 wire but you also get the added advantage of being able to use your mics with products like the edirol R-09 with out any preamp necessary for really loud shows. Its nice to have my preamp because it will reduce your signal to noise ratio since the self noise of my 9100 preamp is somewhere around -115  you can get the full 20 db of gain from my preamp and use the R-09's preamp levels less. This allows for the most amount of flexibility for stealth use. Where you might not want to bring a preamp or battery box to a show. Its nice to know you can in a pinch use just my mics or any mics modded with my 4.7k mod and not get distortion.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 04:23:54 AM »

Actually with the 2 wire input there is no decrease in input levels.. It only depends on what mic you use with it with my Cardioid mics they all have the 4.7k mod in them, So there is a reduction of about 12.5 db with three wire ( mini xlr ) there is a reduction of about 10db. The difference is, I felt it was always better to have a 3.5 mm stereo jack simply because in some cases with my mics or any mics that are modded with my 4.7k 2 wire mod you get the same performance as 3 wire but you also get the added advantage of being able to use your mics with products like the edirol R-09 with out any preamp necessary for really loud shows. Its nice to have my preamp because it will reduce your signal to noise ratio since the self noise of my 9100 preamp is somewhere around -115  you can get the full 20 db of gain from my preamp and use the R-09's preamp levels less. This allows for the most amount of flexibility for stealth use. Where you might not want to bring a preamp or battery box to a show. Its nice to know you can in a pinch use just my mics or any mics modded with my 4.7k mod and not get distortion.

Chris

So is there a decrease in input levels with 2 wire CA cards (with 4.7k mod in them)?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 05:34:08 AM »
Yes, every 4.7k modded mic is less sensitive compared to an unmodded mic of the same brand.
That´s why a preamp is cool for compensating this loss of db and for silent or moderately loud shows.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
Yes, every 4.7k modded mic is less sensitive compared to an unmodded mic of the same brand.
That´s why a preamp is cool for compensating this loss of db and for silent or moderately loud shows.

I also make a 9100 with a switchable 4.7k mod built in so you can run your mics with out the mod and with the mod when needed.. That way you can use this setup for acoustic shows and very loud rock shows.
Chris

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »

I also make a 9100 with a switchable 4.7k mod built in so you can run your mics with out the mod and with the mod when needed.. That way you can use this setup for acoustic shows and very loud rock shows.
Chris

Chris, put all this into a cell-phone-box with a true gain-knob and I´m sure you´ll get lotsa new customers.
That would be the perfect stealth-preamp! ;) Nothing to hide anymore ;).

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 11:02:36 AM »

Chris

Chris, put all this into a cell-phone-box with a true gain-knob and I´m sure you´ll get lotsa new customers.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,73100.0.html
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »

Chris

i knew this cell-battery box and that chris stopped producing it but I said a PREAMP would be great ;).

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 12:09:07 PM »

Chris

i knew this cell-battery box and that chris stopped producing it but I said a PREAMP would be great ;).

Its very time consuming to build and I never had a lineup of customers for it so I stopped that project.

Offline nasarius

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »
Its very time consuming to build and I never had a lineup of customers for it so I stopped that project.

That is a really good idea, but yeah, I guess the number of people who need super-stealth enough to spend 2x the price of a normal battery box is fairly low. Wish I'd thought of that before ordering a couple plastic enclosures today. eBay is a goldmine of dead electronics.
[sample] Giant Squid omnis > custom battery box (.068uF bass rolloff) > JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com