Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What caused this buzzing noise on my recording?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
What caused this buzzing noise on my recording?
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:04:03 PM »
On a recent recording I found a major digital buzzing sound throughout a set. A track is linked below, see at around 20 and 45 seconds in for what I have on my recording. Any idea what this is?

I was running AT-853 cards > STC-9200 > Tascam DR-2D. STC-9200 with a brand new Energizer 9V and set at +15db, line input on the DR-2D set to low gain. I recorded several times later in the week with the same 9V and noticed a little bit of digital noise during quiet parts of a show, but nothing like the buzzing sound here. I don't think the rig was overloaded, as the waveform maxed out around-7db. I don't think any plug was pulled accidentally because the waveform usually looks different for that. I do believe the cable connecting the STC-9200 to the Tascam is unshielded if that matters, and I've been using it for taping for a very long time. Perhaps it's time to upgrade that, but I'm worried there is something wrong with my STC-9200. Anyone have any insight or a suggestion on how to go about troubleshooting which piece of gear might be the culprit? Thanks in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swqcsxcj3avo2j4/DF%201603.flac?dl=0
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline strangerinusall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: What caused this buzzing noise on my recording?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 12:07:03 AM »
That´s typical and intense cell phone buzz.
Avoid any active mobile phone devices close to your recording equipment. Better turn them off.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 06:50:48 AM »
Agree - cell phone interference.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I've noticed from time to time less intense interference or small digital noises but never anything quite like this. Why would this start happening after I never noticed it as much or as intense as before? Here's another recent recording, is the sound around 2:00 - 2:40 the same thing? Would a better cable or using a battery box instead of a preamp result in less noise? I'm just a little concerned after using the same gear over and over and never having the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/woufacetcr4zok2/trivium2018-07-15t02.at853s.cards.16bit.flac?dl=0

Here's another example, about 8 seconds in...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dko5kbjmh0vf7fx/jennylewis2018-08-13t15.at853s.omnis.16bit.flac?dl=0

Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »
Where were phones in your vicinity? I see them all around me at shows, 2’ away or so and have yet to have any issues (knock wood) I use dpa omnis, SP battery box and d50 or m10..hope it isn’t something I run into

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »
Better shielding in the cables and equipment will help, but it is unlikely that a cell phone 2 ft. away is causing the issue. In my experience, the offending cell phone has to be closer.

Can't say if a BB will do better than a preamp - depends on the shielding, I think. The best thing is to keep your own cell phone away from your gear, or off. From what Chris Church conveyed, a lot of the small interconnects are where the shielding is weak. But, I wouldn't count on his gear being particularly well shielded either.

Definitely the same cell phone interference on that Jenny Lewis sample. That Trivium sample, well, not sure I want to turn it up loud enough to here the noise in the music. I assume it is the same.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
I used to have 2 Church preamps at some point, the STC-9000 and the CA-Ugly.
While I never had any issue regarding cellphone noise with the STC-9000, the CA-Ugly
was highly susceptible to cellphone noise. In other words, it's got to have something
to do with the internal shielding / wiring. And, yes, cellphone noise within a distance of 1.5
to 2m was possible. Of course, switching off your own phone or putting it in airplane
mode would be a smart move.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:27:43 PM by if_then_else »

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 02:11:04 AM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »
I've charged my cell at festivals basically resting on Tascam P2, and haven't noticed interference problems? Maybe better shielded cables?
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com