Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New taper starter gear questions...now all geared up!  (Read 13269 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: New taper starter gear questions
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
I think Audio Technica ath-m50 headphones are a better value or use earbuds for noise isolation and for being much easier to transport.  Shure SE215s IEMs might still be on sale for $89 at various places. 

SD702 is a quality piece of gear.

Didn't even think about using earbuds. I have two nice sets...money saved! Thanks!

Another vote here for IEMs. The Shure SE215 set is hard to beat for the price. They have great isolation and they are much easier to pack than headphones. Really all you are listening for is that you have a clean signal on all your channels and that you aren't picking up something unwanted like HVAC noise. No need to monitor the entire show.

Yeah, for monitoring at shows, I don't know why people use full size headphones. Some decent IEMs will do the trick, for sure.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
In agreement with acidjack and hi and lo regarding monitoring your mix at shows: IEMs or even earbuds are the way to go.  I used to cart a full-sized set of closed-back cans to shows and, aside from the large and unnecessary amount of space they took up in my gearbag, they didn't isolate nearly as well as IEM's.  hi and lo's point about having to crank headphones up to dangerous levels just to hear your mix is a valid one. 

acidjack also posted some excellent comments comparing the R-44 to the SD decks.  While I've never owned an SD recorder, I do have a few of their preamps and their gear is built tough.  Then again, I've also had an R-44 for the past 7+ years that has given me completely reliable service in all that time.  Works every time as it should and, were I to suddenly find myself having to replace it for one reason or another, would buy another one again in a heartbeat. 

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 09:15:52 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys! It has been so much fun researching and shopping, y'all's input/pinions are priceless to help me sway myself one way or another. Keep them coming!

At this point I think I have everything ordered except a preamp/adc/recorder. Still waiting for the right quality vs. quantity deal!

I hope to record my first shows after NYE or maybe Anders in NOLA in a couple weeks if I can pull it all together!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:30:13 PM by nolamule »

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2015, 12:50:28 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good mic mount? Should I go with a shock mount? Currently I am looking at the AKG SA 60 for my 480s.

Also is the K&M 23510 Mic Bar a good option?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:53:07 AM by nolamule »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »
^  The topic of mounting microphones has been/is covered ad nauseam here on these boards, but the quick rundown:

- If you're clamping to balcony or hand rails, basically to anything except a stand, shock mounts are a necessity.  You only need one ADHD case banging away on the railing you're clamped on to ruin your recording.  After trying out a multitude of solutions the Rycote InVision mounts (the INV-7 model is very versatile) are, to me, hands down, the best.  The price you pay up front (~$65 per mount; you'll need one for each mic) is a pittance for the quality product you buy.  Lightweight, nearly indestructible, and very good at isolating your microphones, it's a no-brainer, IMHO.  Be sure to use the cable clips on them to limit vibrations coming though the cables themselves. 

- As far as using shock mounts when mounting mics on a stand, some tapers swear that they've never had issues when using just regular microphone clips (like the AKG SA 60) and that logic seems sound in that the stand itself could possibly attenuate some vibrations.  That's all fine and dandy until some drunken fool or wook stumbling through the crowd grabs your stand to keep from falling or decides to shake it in time to the music. 

Personally, I always use shock mounts.  To me, it's cheap insurance. 

The K&M 23510 is a fine mic bar; the K&M 23550 is even simpler.  You can spend hundreds on more sophisticated solutions but either of those bars will work just fine for a stereo pair.

Offline steve4134

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
I may have AT 84510's. Let me know if they would work for your application.

Steve
Mc-930-Naiant Littlebox-R-09HR

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
^  The topic of mounting microphones has been/is covered ad nauseam here on these boards, but the quick rundown:

- If you're clamping to balcony or hand rails, basically to anything except a stand, shock mounts are a necessity.  You only need one ADHD case banging away on the railing you're clamped on to ruin your recording.  After trying out a multitude of solutions the Rycote InVision mounts (the INV-7 model is very versatile) are, to me, hands down, the best.  The price you pay up front (~$65 per mount; you'll need one for each mic) is a pittance for the quality product you buy.  Lightweight, nearly indestructible, and very good at isolating your microphones, it's a no-brainer, IMHO.  Be sure to use the cable clips on them to limit vibrations coming though the cables themselves. 

- As far as using shock mounts when mounting mics on a stand, some tapers swear that they've never had issues when using just regular microphone clips (like the AKG SA 60) and that logic seems sound in that the stand itself could possibly attenuate some vibrations.  That's all fine and dandy until some drunken fool or wook stumbling through the crowd grabs your stand to keep from falling or decides to shake it in time to the music. 

Personally, I always use shock mounts.  To me, it's cheap insurance. 

The K&M 23510 is a fine mic bar; the K&M 23550 is even simpler.  You can spend hundreds on more sophisticated solutions but either of those bars will work just fine for a stereo pair.

I would take this advice. I also prefer the K&M 23550. And definitely use the Rycote mounts. Sturdy and good.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 09:56:57 PM »
Well things changed quickly for me. After making several recording with my 481s I decided I needed hypers and wanted to go with a ligther/smaller active setup. So instead of waiting to procure 63 caps and akg active, I jumped ship to Schoeps! I am waiting for everything to come in but in the VERY near future I will be the proud new owner of a supa' sweet mk41>kcy>pfa setup!

Appreciate all the questions answered over the past few months TS community! Looking forward to putting this gear to good use.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com