Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Gear advise? Need help gettting back to recording.  (Read 6963 times)

Offline okietaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Gear advise? Need help gettting back to recording.
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
A couple of things tht I can answer right away are:

1) Price Range - I am not llking to break the bank just looking to get good equipment for a decent price.  I know the costs can get out of hand and I am willing to pace myself in building my rig so that I can get good gear.  Right now I am sitting on $500 and will probably look to spend most of that on mics or a preamp.

I did some readong the daya I posted this topic on here and I noticed something that I know nothing about and If I remember correctly they care called active mic cables that allowed you to run just the caps of the mic up on your stand.  I clearly need to read more on this topic but it interests me.  Can someone tell me if I am understanding this correctly and that the rest of hte mic is placed on the other end of the cable somewhere???  See my confusion on this topic get out there pretty quick...LOL

2) I am not looking to run stealth, I have no interest in recording music that doesn't want me to record it...with that being said.  Could I get a good bead on the mic stand.  If I remember correctly my last stand was a camera stand with a nadapter screw on top that made a T-bat fit on it.  This may be a good place for me to start. (Cables, mic stand, T-bar...etc)

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
As far as stand goes, I adore the stand from this thread for open taping: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1074706-REG/photek_ls_8122_3_section_10_folding_light.html

For recording deck, I love my tascam dr680mkii - 6 imputs lets me experiment with 4 mics a good bit as well as always having space for a board patch. Cost me $350 (blemished box from Amazon) but they're going totally new for $380. Pres are nice and transparent so could save some money on a preamp potentially, but I imagine there will be lots of opinions in that regard.

For mics I'd just keep an eye out on the yard sale and pick up a stereo pair of some cards or supercards in your price range depending on your preference.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 12:33:36 PM »
You're getting back into it - I am just getting into it.  I patched Phish shows last summer and decided to take the plunge.

Here are some recs from months of reading here and what I have gone with:

Buy a deck with good internal pres.  There are many out there now at GREAT values for a startup rig.  While a Sound Devices Mix Pre 3 or 6 might be pricey, check out Tascam Dr-70d, Dr-701d, or what I and love2tape have gone with Tascam Dr-680mkII.  Also Marantz, Zoom and other manufacturers.  This tech has brought decks to the point of not needing a separate pre in your chain (some would disagree).

Go to archive dot org.  Start listening to shows by typing mics you are interested in in the search bar.  Play the shows, look at the recording chain, pick and choose.  Do this a lot.  Its the second greatest tool besides reading threads here.

Use ebay or the yard sale here to pick up some good value mics.  I went with Audio Technica AT3031, Sennheiser e641, and soon will be getting Line Audio CM3 and OM1.  How did I do this?  Archive dot org.  Its easy to read about things here and think "oh this is the one I want," but it comes down to how they sound and price.

Active cabling?  If you are on a small budget just set that idea aside for now.  Others can answer you questions on it, but I can tell you to stay within your budget, learn good taping technique and you will pull good tapes with gear you are comfortable with.  Active setups are expensive.  Don't under pay, but don't blow your budget either.  Its a long life - build a locker one step at a time.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »
This tech has brought decks to the point of not needing a separate pre in your chain (some would disagree).

I'd agree with this subject to qualification.  At some point one may find an outboard pre making a difference in the sound, and thus an outboard pre may become desirable.  When starting out, though, and certainly when on a limited budget, the money is better spent on a deck that has a decent internal pre, and mics (not to mention associated gear necessary like battery, cables, stand, mount, etc.).  An external pre certainly isn't strictly necessary assuming the deck can provide the proper power for the mics and is good enough quality, but it may become desirable later on.  Or it may not.  To each their own!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 01:18:59 PM »
2) I am not looking to run stealth, I have no interest in recording music that doesn't want me to record it...

Smaller mics can still be worth looking at because they are less visually intrusive, easier to transport and carry, easier to mount, etc.  I'd put AT853s in that category.  A pair of AT853 cards could suffice as a very versatile rig even for open recording only.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
In regards to actives, I would not consider it a priority since you plan on only running open taping.  Actives become most useful and in many cases a requirement in stealth taping. 

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 04:17:32 PM »
A Zoom F4 is ~$450 shipped from various places. It is about the same size as your UA-5, without the need for an additional bit bucket, plus giving you 2x the inputs. CM3s are ~$250/pair http://www.lineaudio.se/CM3.html . I have no experience with them, but have never heard anything bad. For a stand, any of these should work fine, they are all pretty much the same. I have two that are still going strong after 15 years or so.

I realize that is over your budget, but should give you a rig that you will not feel the need to upgrade right away.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 04:37:29 PM »
If you want to stick to your $500 budget and are only going to use two channels anyway, some AT-853 cards ($245 from Sound Professionals), a no-frills battery box (~$60), and one of the inexpensive Sony (M10 or A10) or Roland (R-05 or R-07) recorders (~$200) will do you fine. They're all compact, but I've used them in plenty of non-stealth situations as well.

Offline heathen

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »
If you want to stick to your $500 budget and are only going to use two channels anyway, some AT-853 cards ($245 from Sound Professionals), a no-frills battery box (~$60), and one of the inexpensive Sony (M10 or A10) or Roland (R-05 or R-07) recorders (~$200) will do you fine. They're all compact, but I've used them in plenty of non-stealth situations as well.

This is exactly what I'd do.  Keep an eye on the Yard Sale and you can probably save money that can be put towards the necessary accessories.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »

This is exactly what I'd do.  Keep an eye on the Yard Sale and you can probably save money that can be put towards the necessary accessories.

Or Ebay for the recorders.  Just nabbed another DR-2D for $60 including shipping today. 

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »

Or Ebay for the recorders.  Just nabbed another DR-2D for $60 including shipping today.

!! Whoa. I had no idea, thought they always went for $100+
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »
Disagree with the phone option.  To each his own but not an option I would consider.

obviously its 100% interface dependent, but my d:vice is fantastic and after using many rigs over the years, my d:vice+ iphone is as reliable as anything. expandable as well, as i will be demoing full size dpa caps with microdot actives this summer.

things move very fast and i find it difficult to make blanket statements about anything these days because the number of options (both good and bad) is expanding so rapidly
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:11:26 PM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »

!! Whoa. I had no idea, thought they always went for $100+

They asked for $80 with a make an offer.  It was there for 2 days.   Offered $60 and they took it.  Gives me 6 plus one for parts if need be. 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2019, 08:15:24 PM »
I think there is an entire rig like this in the Yard Sale...
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »
I think there is an entire rig like this in the Yard Sale...
Sorry, was a little off. Not AT853s - CAFS which really have a different (stealth) application.

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com