Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any disadvantage to run V2 @ 12v  (Read 3601 times)

markrsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
Any disadvantage to run V2 @ 12v
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I breifly thought about asking Grace to turn my Lunatec V2- 6v into a 12v.  Anybody know the pros and cons about the V2 running at 12v?  I am having a hard time finding a power bank that runs less than 12v.  Maybe the Nazteck 15000 runs at 9v, is that ok for the 6v, V2?  I just got a PowerBank MP-16000 and think I will like it.
thanx...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:12:05 PM by markrsmith »

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: Any disadvantage to run V2 @ 12v
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »
I used to run my V3 on 9V
the only disadvantage is the low battery indicator on the V2 is gauged for 6V

markrsmith

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
V2 Voltage Calibration Procedure

The Lunatec V2 preamplifier is designed to run on DC current ranging from 6V to 12V. The only difference between 6V and 12V models is in the threshold levels for the low battery detector circuit and the auto power-down circuit. These thresholds come set at the factory for either 6V or 12V sealed lead-acid type batteries. The following procedure outlines jumper settings and calibration of these circuits. These adjustments should be made only by qualified service personnel. If you have any questions or problems with this procedure please call Grace Design at 303-443-7454

Equipment needed:
Adjustable DC power supply: 5-15V, 1.8A minimum
DC Volt meter
Non metallic adjustment tool
Alligator clip lead
#2 Phillips head screw driver
DC power cord: XLR-4 male on one end, appropriate connector for DC power supply on the other. Note: XLR pin 1 is GND and pin 4 is +V
BE CAREFUL TO OBSERVE PROPER POLARITY TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO THE V2!
Procedure:

Begin by removing the top cover of the V2. Make sure that the power switch on the V2 is in the off position. Connect the XLR power cable to the V2 and to the DC power supply. Observe the polarity!
Select the Voltage range with J21 and J22 (refer to the jumper location drawing).
Connect one end of the clip lead to the wire jumper located between pins 1 and 2 of the panel mount XLR power connector on the V2. Connect the other end of the clip lead to the black or GND lead of the DC Volt meter.
Turn VR7 fully Counter Clockwise
Turn VR8 fully Clockwise
Set the DC power supply voltage to 15 Volts and turn on the V2.
Measure the DC voltage coming in to the V2 at the power switch terminal and adjust the DC supply for 11.75V (5.5V for 6V V2)
Turn VR8 slowly counter clockwise until the low battery LED just begins to flash. This concludes the low battery threshold adjustment.
Measure the DC voltage coming in to the V2 at the power switch terminal and adjust the DC supply for 10.5V (5.0V for 6V V2).
Turn VR7 slowly clockwise until the V2 shuts off. This concludes the voltage calibration procedure for the V2. Turn of the V2 and remove the DC power source. Replace the top cover.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »
maybe I wasn't clear... the  9V battery will die before the V2 indicator will go off when set at 6V

markrsmith

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:15:02 PM »
Yep, thanx. 

markrsmith

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
Hi Mark,

The 6V/12V jumper inside the V2 is for setting the auto-shutoff and low battery indicator. This was necessary for sealed lead acid type batteries where their voltage would slowly drop as they became discharged. The battery you are considering is a Lithium Polymer type that has a regulated voltage output and built in low battery indicator/auto-shutoff, so there is no need to adjust the voltage settings inside the V2. A 6V V2 will run with any voltage from 6-15V without a problem. The only caveat with running higher voltages is that the battery won't last as long and the unit will run slightly warmer, nothing to be worried about.
I would suggest using a 6V battery if you can since it will run longer, but if you want to use that 12V battery you can do so without worrying about changing the settings inside the V2.
Please let me know if you have any questions!

Take care,
Alex Vallejo
Grace Design Customer Support

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 10:45:03 PM »
Yep. The way this works is that you feed the deck any voltage (6-15v as stated) and then regulators are used to drop the voltage to a standard voltage (let's say 5v). The 5v is then fed to other components (likely a dc-dc converter) and increased + inverted as needed.

Extra heat is generated as the input voltage is increased because the excess is disapated as heat. This allows a wide range of input voltages, but higher voltages will create more excess heat due to the larger voltage drop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com