Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: strange fuzz with r-09 and SP-TFB-2 mics  (Read 1779 times)

Offline skies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
strange fuzz with r-09 and SP-TFB-2 mics
« on: July 21, 2006, 01:31:11 PM »
Here is a recording I did to demonstrate a strange fuzz (not buzz) that appears:
http://www.mdbsite.com/z/r-09_vs_SP-TFB-2_fuzz.mp3

In the recording I put the recorder close to my legs, and later on in my pocked, making the fuzz very loud.
The (high-sensitivity Binaural) microphones are in my ears, but it also happens when holding them in my hands.
I have never experienced something like this, only the known 50Hz Buzz. You'd Almost think I'm a robot sending out radiowaves ;)

I also have an Audio Technica AT822 (handheld) microphone, with this microphone there is no fuzz when doing the same tests.

Does anyone kown the origin of this, and how to resolve it? Is there maybe some adapter I can put between?...

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: strange fuzz with r-09 and SP-TFB-2 mics
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 02:54:41 PM »
do you have a cell phone on or near you?

Offline skies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »
That is a good suggestion.

To be sure, I did a second test in the middle of the garden without any electrical equipment on me or around me other than the r-09 with the SP-TFB-2 mics atached. Same precedure, first to my leg, then in my pocked:
http://www.mdbsite.com/z/r-09_vs_SP-TFB-2_fuzz_test2.mp3 (sorry for the breathing, I forgot to breath silent...)

Could it be that my legs are reflecting back some of teh r-09's own radiation or so?..

Offline skies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »
*subtle topic-kick*  ::)

Offline skies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 03:27:03 PM »
Aha! I found the cause:

It is the display that is cousing this noise. When I put my finger (or any other human skin) close to or onto the display, the noise is there.

So the only solution I see is taking care you are not close to the display with your skin.. I have now set the display timer to two seconds, but unfortunately the display does not go off, it only dims (thereby only dimming the noise if it's there). Time for an extra custom function  ;)

I also know now why the other microphone, AT822, does not have this problem: I feeds itselsfwith an internal battery, while the SP-TFB-2 needs power from the r-09. So the r-09 only sends out this noise when using mics with plugin power..

off-topinc: I was speaking of a fuzz, but just found out that fuzz does not mean someting like buzz (English is not my native language)...

Offline skies

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 03:52:20 PM »
Yes I think that is the only effective way to get rid off the noises you can get with the r-09..

Here is a demonstration of a more serious problem I discovered... Again, this only occurs when using mics that need plugin power, and the plugin power is delivered by the r-o9:

buzz demonstration (sorry for my bad english, I'm Dutch)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com